St Marks and Doges Palace tickets

Vineyard View

I am hoping to buy St Marks and Doges Palace tickets ahead of our visit in Venice. When I google this I keep getting tour groups, etc. I do not want a tour group, we just wish to tour independently. I would appreciate advice. Thank you 

This is the official website for tickets for St. Marks:

https://basilicasanmarco.skiperformance.com/en/store#/en/buy

I highly recommend getting a ticket that includes the Pala d'Oro, museum (upstairs) and entrance to the outside balcony just off the museum (Loggia Cavalli) for some awesome views without having to go up the campanile.

And this Venice organization (MUVE) is the official seller for tickets and various passes for other museums, including the Doge's Palace:

https://muve.vivaticket.it/index.php

Note that MUVE also has an app, which I read about a few months ago. It provides additional info, will let you display your (electronic) tickets for entry, if desired, and can also be used for spur-of-the-moment ticket purchases rather than standing in line.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

Cruisemom - have you experienced the bell tower and if so is that worth it?

Its called the St Marks Campanile. Its fine-- it can be crowded and there are more interesting places to get great views of Venice. As cruisemom mentioned, while a lower vantage point, the Loggia Cavalli gives great views over the square. 

One of Venice's great views is atop the famed Hotel Danieli just off Piazza San Marco. You can skip the super expensive meal now and just have drinks at Terrazza Danieli bar which provides the same views as those paying an arm and a leg for lunch or dinner. 

There are also other campanile around town you can climb. Keep in mind that the San Marco Campanile is a replica finished in 1912 after the original one collapsed so while historic, it's not the original. 

Many years ago I did the Campanile, but as princeton says there are other views as interesting or more interesting. I like the view from the loggia, it's a better "square on" view of the piazza. If you go to the left-hand side you also get a great view of the piazetta and the canal there (from the Campanile you are a bit too high and get a lot of "roof" in the pictures.

While I was on the loggia of St. Mark's, one of the large cruise ships sailed by (when they were still allowed). The picture was priceless in terms of showing the crazy scale of these large ships that dwarf the Venice cityscape. I'll have to look for it and post it. 

Another great view of Venice can be had from the campanile of San Giorgio Maggiore, on the island across the water from St. Mark's. I like this view especially as you are able to get a photo with all of the key monuments from the Doge's Palace to the Piazza San Marco. In fact, it's a bit like the view one used to have when cruising in or out of Venice....

Here's a website that lists (and even better shows) some of the best views in Venice -- for planning purposes. 😉

https://www.earthtrekkers.com/best-views-of-venice-italy/

Thank you both very much. This is very helpful. When we were last in Venice years ago we did not have tickets and it was impossible to get in if you didn’t want to wait all day in line. 

I was on the website early this morning purchasing tickets, they called it the Bell Tower. I thought that strange. I am really glad that I did this today. In the week we will be there only two time slots were left available. I purchased them, received confirmation number and payment - but no tickets as of yet. I am not sure that is okay. I sent them an email asking and hope by tomorrow to have that straightened out. 

The further info you both responded with is much appreciated. Thanks again