Arlie, Cairns (Yorkey's Knob) and Port Douglas

We are booked next January on Celebrity Edge with the following schedule for these ports- (well these are the ones I am asking about at this point at least)-

Airlie Beach 7am-5pm Tendered

Cairns (Yorky's Knob) 9am-10pm Tendered

Port Douglas-7am-6pm Tendered

We are a group of 4, all adults.  With two of us interested in snorkeling the GBR (hubby can't dive anymore due to ear issues 😞 ) and my parents (in their 70's-good physical shape but probably no interest in snorkel as dad is subject to sea sickness.)

It sounds like from what I have read so far that Cairns and Port Douglas might offer the best GBR trips but also have other neat things to see.  I'm thinking we snorkel in Airlie (possibly through the ship since it is so far away). 

Then do the Jungle Train and Skyway in Cairns (Is that possible to do on your own? I see tickets to the train and skyway combo are much cheaper directly but how can we get there knowing the port is 30 mins I think from the train station?) 

Finally in Port Douglas it looks like seeing the Rainforrest, River Cruise and or Mossman Gorge are good choices?

Thoughts on this?  We are frequent cruisers but this is our first time to Aust/NZ and will end up being a month long trip.  Thanks in advance!!

6 hours ago, janetmojo said:

We are booked next January on Celebrity Edge with the following schedule for these ports- (well these are the ones I am asking about at this point at least)-

We are a group of 4, all adults.  With two of us interested in snorkeling the GBR (hubby can't dive anymore due to ear issues 😞 ) and my parents (in their 70's-good physical shape but probably no interest in snorkel as dad is subject to sea sickness.)

It sounds like from what I have read so far that Cairns and Port Douglas might offer the best GBR trips but also have other neat things to see.  I'm thinking we snorkel in Airlie (possibly through the ship since it is so far away). 

Then do the Jungle Train and Skyway in Cairns (Is that possible to do on your own? I see tickets to the train and skyway combo are much cheaper directly but how can we get there knowing the port is 30 mins I think from the train station?) 

Finally in Port Douglas it looks like seeing the Rainforrest, River Cruise and or Mossman Gorge are good choices?

Thoughts on this?  We are frequent cruisers but this is our first time to Aust/NZ and will end up being a month long trip.  Thanks in advance!!

Really the only way to do a Great Barrier Reef excursion from Airlie Beach is to do it from the ship because of time constraints. The GBR excursion boat ususally will pick you up from the ship and drop you back there saving on the long tender trips.

Yorkey's Knob - shuttles will take you into Cairns central business district (CBD) - the train station is fairly centrally located so not too much of a walk from anywhere in the CBD. But the time you arrive at Yorkey's Knob will not give you enough time to catch the Kuranda train. You may need to take a taxi from Yorkey's Knob to Smithfield for the Skyrail to Kuranda (leaves every 15 minutes) and then take the train back to Cairns and then shuttle back to Yorkey's. Although once again, time may be against you as train doesn't arrive back in Cairns in 3.55pm which doesn't give long to get to shuttle and back to Yorkey's and then tender to ship. Ship's excursion may be only way to do this. 

There are many things you could do in Cairns, it's a beautiful city. Cairns

Port Douglas - yes I agree with what you suggest. Many will say Port Douglas is the best place to do a GBR excursion from. But a trip to the Daintree/Mosman Gorge is very worthwhile.

Good luck with your planning and enjoy your time down under.

Port

On 5/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, possum52 said:

Yorkey's Knob - shuttles will take you into Cairns central business district (CBD) - the train station is fairly centrally located so not too much of a walk from anywhere in the CBD. But the time you arrive at Yorkey's Knob will not give you enough time to catch the Kuranda train. You may need to take a taxi from Yorkey's Knob to Smithfield for the Skyrail to Kuranda (leaves every 15 minutes) and then take the train back to Cairns and then shuttle back to Yorkey's. Although once again, time may be against you as train doesn't arrive back in Cairns in 3.55pm which doesn't give long to get to shuttle and back to Yorkey's and then tender to ship. Ship's excursion may be only way to do this. 

OP is in Cairns 9am to 10pm. Plenty of time to do Kuranda plus Cairns or even a trip to the reef.

Besides snorkeling, there are submersibles and glass bottom boat tours for those that cannot dive or snorkel. 

From Airlie Beach, you could do a Whitehaven beach tour, which is a favourite among Americans. This link also has other ideas. https://www.airliebeach.com/daytrips/whitehavenbeach.php

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yarramar said:

OP is in Cairns 9am to 10pm. Plenty of time to do Kuranda plus Cairns or even a trip to the reef.

Besides snorkeling, there are submersibles and glass bottom boat tours for those that cannot dive or snorkel. 

From Airlie Beach, you could do a Whitehaven beach tour, which is a favourite among Americans. This link also has other ideas. https://www.airliebeach.com/daytrips/whitehavenbeach.php

On 5/10/2023 at 2:28 AM, janetmojo said:

Oops, I misread the times for Cairns. Still there not early enough to take train to Kuranda, the 2nd and last train leaves Cairns at 9.30am, so it would have to be Skyrail from Smithfield to Kuranda and then train back. 

GBR - all day trips tend to start around 8-9am. With the ship not arriving at Yorkey's until 9am will restrict what excursions could be taken. Last July while staying in Cairns we went out to Green Island for a few hours which started at 10.30am. 

A couple of things to think about for this cruise - it will be the wet season, hot and extremely humid and also it is stinger season. Stinger Season

• Like 1

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

Oops, I misread the times for Cairns. Still there not early enough to take train to Kuranda, the 2nd and last train leaves Cairns at 9.30am, so it would have to be Skyrail from Smithfield to Kuranda and then train back. 

GBR - all day trips tend to start around 8-9am. With the ship not arriving at Yorkey's until 9am will restrict what excursions could be taken. Last July while staying in Cairns we went out to Green Island for a few hours which started at 10.30am. 

A couple of things to think about for this cruise - it will be the wet season, hot and extremely humid and also it is stinger season. Stinger Season

Good point re stinger season.  When I was in Cairns, in December, I took bus to Palm Cove, a beautiful northern beach.  There were signs "no swimming in Stinger Enclosure", however there was swimming at a couple of beaches closer to Cairns. The beach activity van was closed.  

16 hours ago, possum52 said:

I've got a cruise booked for late Oct - Nov, and have been reading about Stinger Season.  I am quite bummed about that, and wonder if there is anyway to still snorkel.  Or maybe I should just settle for a glass bottom boat excursion, and plan for another time at the GBR.  

7 hours ago, dreams_of_travel said:

I've got a cruise booked for late Oct - Nov, and have been reading about Stinger Season.  I am quite bummed about that, and wonder if there is anyway to still snorkel.  Or maybe I should just settle for a glass bottom boat excursion, and plan for another time at the GBR.  

This photo is of stinger suits that will be provided either free or for a fee by the tour boat operator. They are made of lycra and will usually have a hood.Your face will be mainly covered with a mask and your feet with flippers.

Adrenalin Adults Hooded Lycra Stinger Suit

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

This photo is of stinger suits that will be provided either free or for a fee by the tour boat operator. They are made of lycra and will usually have a hood.Your face will be mainly covered with a mask and your feet with flippers.

Adrenalin Adults Hooded Lycra Stinger Suit

Thanks for the info.  I've been looking on various sites to see how the sizing is. Many brands do not go up to the size I would need,  tall torso, and curvy girl size.   I am not sure they will have many meeting those sizing needs.  But when I decide on a tour, I will email them to ask about it. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

Thanks for the info.  I've been looking on various sites to see how the sizing is. Many brands do not go up to the size I would need,  tall torso, and curvy girl size.   I am not sure they will have many meeting those sizing needs.  But when I decide on a tour, I will email them to ask about it. 

That sounds a good idea.

1 hour ago, dreams_of_travel said:

This old but still relevant discussion may help.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k788965-Stinger_suits-Australia.html

• Thanks 1