UK passport validity

ScratchTheRat

My passport expires nov (5 months after returning) and I just saw that the policy is that you must have 6 months remaining! None of the countries we visit require this thankfully but am I gonna have an issue?

The app has accepted my passport and I’m in the green lane so I don’t know. Panic!!!!

There is also the added complication that your passport expiry date may not be valid. If you are going to one of the Schengen countries then your passport needs to be valid for 10 years from the date of issue - any additional months that were added when you renewed no longer count.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, david63 said:

There is also the added complication that your passport expiry date may not be valid. If you are going to one of the Schengen countries then your passport needs to be valid for 10 years from the date of issue - any additional months that were added when you renewed no longer count.

Yes my passport is valid as it’s less than 10 years on issue date so that’s not an issue, it’s not the Schengen issues I worry about. The countries I’m visiting accept my passport, but princess may not.

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

very good point...

5 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

The countries I’m visiting accept my passport, but princess may not.

This is an issue that comes up from time to time and some will say that Princess are wrong and others will say their cruise line, their rules.

I would suggest that you email Princess, that way you will have some proof of what is said should there be a problem. On the other hand if you have time then I would renew it - you are going to have to in any case in the not too distant future.

1 minute ago, david63 said:

This is an issue that comes up from time to time and some will say that Princess are wrong and others will say their cruise line, their rules.

I would suggest that you email Princess, that way you will have some proof of what is said should there be a problem. On the other hand if you have time then I would renew it - you are going to have to in any case in the not too distant future.

My plan was to renew after the princess cruise as currently it takes 6 weeks 

1 minute ago, memoak said:

If you are not sailing till November why not renew now and not take the risk. I have always made sure my passport has at least 6 months left when I travel

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Renew it now. Why risk it ?

There’s a 6 week waiting period and I’m on another cruise before then so where’s the time? 😞

If you are not sailing till November why not renew now and not take the risk. I have always made sure my passport has at least 6 months left when I travel

I’m sailing in two weeks!

No, the OPs passport expires in November. 

1 minute ago, ScratchTheRat said:

There’s a 6 week waiting period and I’m on another cruise before then so where’s the time? 😞

You should have renewed earlier.

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You should have renewed earlier.

Why? It’s valid Til November so I was gonna renew after the princess cruise. It’s princess decided to not accept it, the countries were visiting  both only require three months which is what I was following!

2 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Why? It’s valid Til November so I was gonna renew after the princess cruise. It’s princess decided to not accept it, the countries were visiting  both only require three months which is what I was following!

You should have checked Princess t&c's. Sorry.

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You should have checked Princess t&c's. Sorry.

Really helpful, thanks. Cos we all read every term and condition. How about trying to actually help or at least empathise rather than state the obvious? There’s no help in what you’ve said, no use, no addition, nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The 6 month rule has been around for years. And yes it is up to each passenger to know what is needed to be able to cruise. I was on a Panama cruise that stopped in Colombia a few months ago and a passenger actually tried to say that Princess did not require vaccination or tests to sail. It was up to them to find out what was required 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

The 6 month rule has been around for years. And yes it is up to each passenger to know what is needed to be able to cruise. I was on a Panama cruise that stopped in Colombia a few months ago and a passenger actually tried to say that Princess did not require vaccination or tests to sail. It was up to them to find out what was required 

Yes, but the 6 month rule doesn’t apply to EU locations or those agreed such as Norway. So my passport was valid for this cruise, it’s the cruise line who is making the rule, not the countries visiting. Yes I should have maybe been more vigilant but I feel if the countries accept my passport the cruise line should also.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Really helpful, thanks. Cos we all read every term and condition. How about trying to actually help or at least empathise rather than state the obvious? There’s no help in what you’ve said, no use, no addition, nothing.

I'm not sure what you want me to say. There is no way out.

13 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

Actually, yes we all need to read the terms and conditions because if we don’t we run the risk of missing out.  Each of us is responsible for making sure we have our ducks in a row as soon as we decide to book a cruise.  If we aren’t responsible then who is?  All cruiselines are exactly the same.  They make their rules, it’s their ship and it’s up to us to get it right.  I know you’re frustrated, but you cannot blame Princess for this one. 
Glad you’re able to get an emergency passport and I sincerely hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Just now, Lady Arwen said:

Actually, yes we all need to read the terms and conditions because if we don’t we run the risk of missing out.  Each of us is responsible for making sure we have our ducks in a row as soon as we decide to book a cruise.  If we aren’t responsible then who is?  All cruiselines are exactly the same.  They make their rules, it’s their ship and it’s up to us to get it right.  I know you’re frustrated, but you cannot blame Princess for this one. 
Glad you’re able to get an emergency passport and I sincerely hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Thankyou!

yeah, I made a silly mistake it seemed but fixed now hopefully!

thanks for the well wishes!

• Like 1

I'm not sure who you booked your cruise through.

When I book, our TA goes through our passport details to ensure we meet the necessary requirements.  They are scrupulous about passport issue and expiry dates. 

If you did book through a TA,  perhaps you should discuss the matter with them, and see if they can help.