No Alcohol in any UK ports - what! 😱

ziggyuk

1 minute ago, KeithJenner said:

This particular issue (no alcohol at all) is currently only happening in the UK, but it has happened earlier this year in Gibraltar and happened on a couple of occasions in Greece last year.

I don’t think we know for sure that it is fixed in Gibraltar. It may just be that they haven’t been there lately.

The concern is that we don’t know where it will happen next.

Sounds like an issue with the U.K. And the EU.  But, from what you’re saying, maybe only the U.K. As it’s not been reported in other areas for a while.  We know it’s a regulatory and/or tariff/tax issue between the U.K. And NCL.  But, other than that, it’s all we know.

• Like 1

Just now, graphicguy said:

Sounds like an issue with the U.K. And the EU.  But, from what you’re saying, maybe only the U.K. As it’s not been reported in other areas for a while.  We know it’s a regulatory and/or tariff/tax issue between the U.K. And NCL.  But, other than that, it’s all we know.

But there is also issues with NCL in Livorno and Civitavecchia, this are within the EU!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

An issue with the UK, and the EU. For now. Last year it was just an issue with Greece, but that’s not much consolation to the people on the UK cruises now.

If NCL can’t get this sorted in the current countries then what reassurance does this give us that they won’t have a problem elsewhere. The Baltic cruises are starting soon (with long port stops). What will happen there?

They will probably get the UK sorted soon, as they did with Greece, but I’d be very nervous if I was sailing somewhere towards the start of a season (as I am next Spring on the Viva).

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

The concern is that we don’t know where it will happen next.

This, exactly.  We will be on the Dawn's first foray into the Baltics on June 13th.  We don't have any assurance that NCL will do the right thing in those ports.  Given their track record (and arrogance!) I suspect they will again not pay any required fees.  I do not care to fork over $400 in FAS gratuities to be a guinea pig!  And don't even get me started about the unacceptable itinerary changes (after final payment, of course) on our last two NCL cruises.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

NCL put a letter on Facebook saying you will be served alcohol if you have a drink package.  Maybe on some sailings, but I'm sailing on the Dawn and I can assure you there was no alcohol served, drink package or not.  Manager told me they were permited to serve beer and wine on othef sailings, but not anymore.

• Like 2

Someone just posted that they ARE serving alcohol in Edinburgh, on Dawn. Last week they did the same on the first call into Belfast before realising that Belfast was in the UK - Customs Officers in board there this week!! Scottish licensing laws are slightly different, generally they are stricter, but the UK duty rules would be the same so I cannot see how they can be doing this. It's all bizarre!

And still, why are they not just charging a surcharge to passengers to cover the duty like they do elsewhere? Package Travel Regulations or another UK law??

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

An issue with the UK, and the EU. For now. Last year it was just an issue with Greece, but that’s not much consolation to the people on the UK cruises now.

If NCL can’t get this sorted in the current countries then what reassurance does this give us that they won’t have a problem elsewhere. The Baltic cruises are starting soon (with long port stops). What will happen there?

They will probably get the UK sorted soon, as they did with Greece, but I’d be very nervous if I was sailing somewhere towards the start of a season (as I am next Spring on the Viva).

Agree....they'll get it figured out.  Someone in the NCL HQ didn't secure something that was required with the U.K. (or, wherever this is occurring in the EU).  My guess is it will stem back to one dept or maybe even one person.  That someone has probably been put "on notice" for the oversight...if not outright relieved of their position.

Given they're now offering drinks to those with a drink package seems they're getting some agreement and has more to do with finding a way to appease whichever regularity body put the restrictions in, than it is for getting it totally sorted.  But, probably will be soon.

• Like 2

Screenshot_20230516_154100_Chrome.jpg.01361d7f629a26b52dfcf2be7449b414.jpg

It's just down to NCL paying the duty on the alcohol or not. If they won't agree to pay it, they cannot serve it. They think they can serve it today because they are not on a berth, but as they've just come from another UK port I think they are wrong (and in SO many ways!!). But if you're onboard I hope you stock up!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Agree....they'll get it figured out.  Someone in the NCL HQ didn't secure something that was required with the U.K. (or, wherever this is occurring in the EU).  My guess is it will stem back to one dept or maybe even one person.  That someone has probably been put "on notice" for the oversight...if not outright relieved of their position.

Given they're now offering drinks to those with a drink package seems they're getting some agreement and has more to do with finding a way to appease whichever regularity body put the restrictions in, than it is for getting it totally sorted.  But, probably will be soon.

Apologies if I missed something, but do you mean that they are offering drinks to those with drinks packages on UK cruises, or do you mean somewhere else in the world?

7 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

How does that even work surely they know where they cas serve in advance?

Of course they do.  And, if they did not then why would they not be communicating with the authorities in advance?  The telephone and the internet have been around for quite some time.  This is just another of their ill-advised attempts to save money by not delivering the product their customers have bought.  They keep the FAS grats, don't pay the required fees and then save even more money by not serving any drinks.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, kaydeetee said:

16 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:NCL put a letter on Facebook saying you will be served alcohol if you have a drink package.  Maybe on some sailings, but I'm sailing on the Dawn and I can assure you there was no alcohol served, drink package or not.  Manager told me they were permited to serve beer and wine on othef sailings, but not anymore.

I didn't post that!, also you've posted some comments without your own - possibly you are hitting wrong button.

4 hours ago, podgeandrodge said:

Further to SouthamptonCruiseFan's post above, this link may provide some information, if someone has the time to go through it.  (Apologies if I am posting irrelevant nonsense, but it looks relevant). To me it seems that this must be interpretational between the lines, or as SouthamptonCruiseFan said, a deliberate decision by NCL not to pay duty.  Either way, NCL should not hide behind "UK customs rules" - it's a lie hiding behind a truth - yes, it's because of UK customs, but ONLY because NCL doesn't want to fix the issue, unlike other lines.  Some screenshots below, but best to read the website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-69a-duty-free-ships-stores/excise-notice-69a-duty-free-ships-stores

uk customs.png

uk customs2.png

the answer must be in here somewhere!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Of course they do.  And, if they did not then why would they not be communicating with the authorities in advance?  The telephone and the internet have been around for quite some time.  This is just another of their ill-advised attempts to save money by not delivering the product their customers have bought.  They keep the FAS grats, don't pay the required fees and then save even more money by not serving any drinks.

Well I've been told they have closed the case on my request for information regarding their statement🤷‍♀️

8 minutes ago, flamingo_fancies said:

Well I've been told they have closed the case on my request for information regarding their statement🤷‍♀️

Yes, I saw that.  Basically they refused to explain or give any real information.  And the tone of their reply to you was quite arrogant as someone else mentioned.  Looks like a bit of desperate stonewalling to me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Yes, I saw that.  Basically they refused to explain or give any real information.  And the tone of their reply to you was quite arrogant as someone else mentioned.  Looks like a bit of desperate stonewalling to me.

Yes I then asked if they could give me the contact details for a person or department who I could discuss my query with and got this final response saying case closed.

Screenshot_20230516_165618.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flamingo_fancies said:

Yes I then asked if they could give me the contact details for a person or department who I could discuss my query with and got this final response saying case closed.

Screenshot_20230516_165618.jpg

One things for sure - NCL have agreed in both US and EU given similar wordings to adopt the same message.  hopefully they are planning how to fix things...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Well…if there’s a silver lining in all of this, NCL didn’t throw the employee or the dept responsible under the bus.  

That person was likely laid off last December before Christmas and never replaced. But hey, its just our money in play, so no biggie, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Well…if there’s a silver lining in all of this, NCL didn’t throw the employee or the dept responsible under the bus.  

I'm frankly not surprised NCL is circling the wagons and refraining from comment, given that the torch and pitchfork crowd are out there baying for blood. 😆 It sure would be nice if people could just chill out and let things get resolved, yet here we are on the 23rd page of comments. We may hit a record soon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm frankly not surprised NCL is circling the wagons and refraining from comment, given that the torch and pitchfork crowd are out there baying for blood. 😆 It sure would be nice if people could just chill out and let things get resolved, yet here we are on the 23rd page of comments. We may hit a record soon!

You do not care about alcohol so why are you still here?? We are all just alcoholics right? 

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Krydstosser said:

You do not care about alcohol so why are you still here?? We are all just alcoholics right? 

I could ask you the same question since a few pages ago you said you were done with NCL for good. Also, what makes you think I don't care about alcohol? We have a cruise booked on NCL later this year and have the UBP, so that's my reason for being interested in this topic. Your last sentence is just silly, I never called anyone anything.

Edited by DCGuy64

5 hours ago, Trailblazerram said:

Just got off the phone with NCL and have been informed that those with drinks packages on the Star leaving Southampton next week will be served alcohol. Not sure whether that is correct or not but we shall see.

One  of the main concerns about this is that NCL will spend a lot of time when we are on board trying to sell us deals for Future cruises. It is my opinion that these must be avoided completely because it seems NCL are moving the goalposts so often you may get a poor deal. We will still take a little something inboard to ‘toast’ our holiday but it does grate………

On my January 8th cruise, only half the passengers received the email informing us that the DR was cancelled and the morning of Antigua was cancelled for environmental reasons.  People who didn't get the email were really confused since the itinerary on NCL's website stayed the same until sailing, and they called NCL and kept being told there were no itinerary changes.  Some of us on cruise critic and the roll calls tried to explain, but in the end they may have only realized onboard.  In fairness to NCL, it does appear that all of the cruise lines poorly train the phone reps, so bringing something onboard to toast your holiday sounds like an excellent plan.  Given the level of anger on these boards, hopefully this will be resolved in time for your cruise next week.

• Thanks 1