5 hour layover JFK (AA)

TMLAalum

We had a flight schedule change that now gives us over 5 hours in JFK before our flight to CDG departs. I believe we arrive from CLE at Terminal 8 and depart from there as well. Any suggestions as to how to pass the time? We are in Economy so no AA lounge access for us, but we'd consider purchasing access to one. We do have Capital One Venture, but sadly no lounge at JFK. We don't have Amex. We are carryon luggage only so schlepping into the city with baggage as well as the limited net time with the layover isn't an option.

Thanks

Edited by TMLAalum

Yeah you're kind of in that "not ideal" sweet spot where, even if you had checked luggage, I wouldn't recommend heading in to the city. You're kind of stuck in the airport. 

That being said, if you are willing to leave security, I think you might want to head over to the TWA Hotel to check it out and stretch your legs. It's a pretty cool spot and easy to get to, but like I said, you'll just have to re-clear security (not a huge deal, but something to consider). Otherwise, sadly, you're kind of just going to have to chill a bit in T8, sorry to say.

I'm not a JFK expert, so others may know more than me, but I do recommend the TWA Hotel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

... I think you might want to head over to the TWA Hotel to check it out and stretch your legs. It's a pretty cool spot ...

For context, the TWA Hotel is a "pretty cool spot" in the sense that I have (briefly) considered flying to NYC just to stay in it. I think this is a great idea.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TMLAalum said:

We had a flight schedule change that now gives us over 5 hours in JFK before our flight to CDG departs. I believe we arrive from CLE at Terminal 8 and depart from there as well. Any suggestions as to how to pass the time? We are in Economy so no AA lounge access for us, but we'd consider purchasing access to one.

Since it sounds like AA changing your flight is the cause of your long layover, onsider contacting AA and asking if it is possible to get passes (for free) for their lounge.  

Plan B would be to buy the passes " Available for purchase online and at select locations for $59 or 5,900 AAdvantage® miles".   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

For context, the TWA Hotel is a "pretty cool spot" in the sense that I have (briefly) considered flying to NYC just to stay in it. I think this is a great idea.

Who would fly somewhere just to see something #avgeek related? That's so stupid and absolutely ridiculous. *,**,***,****,*****

* - posted by someone who has definitely flown to JFK just to spend a night at the TWA Hotel

** - posted by someone who definitely flies to LAX 2x yearly, on top of my fairly regular business trips there, just to plane spot at In-N-Out

*** - posted by someone who has definitely swayed by wife's vacation decision to SXM because I told her I would only plane watch once, and then I plane watched five times in seven days

**** - posted by someone who definitely builds in extra long connections at MUC to visit the Visitors Park

***** - posted by someone who definitely once missed a flight at LHR because I decided it would be a wise choice to have a pint at the Green Man to watch planes but ended up having like six pints

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Thanks for the tip about the TWA hotel. I think we will head there for a leisurely lunch- perfect timing since our arrival time from CLE is noon. Don't mind having to go thru security again since we will have TSA precheck and lots of time to get to the gate since the flight to CDG departs 5:35pm.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Me, too.