packing! what shouldn't we forget?

Our ship was at the Hubbard Glacier earlier this week (2nd week of May), and even though it was a clear sunny day, it was still cold and windy.  We had an invitation to view the glacier from the bow area of the ship.  Other areas of the ship may have been less windy and cold.

So happy that I had my wool ragg gloves, a hat that would not fly off my head, and all my outerwear layers of long sleeve shirt, fleece vest, fleece jacket and windbreaker.  I never used/needed my winter jacket that I had brought along.  Having approximate footwear (Merrill Moab Hiking Boots for me), and hiking socks kept my feet warm on glacier day.

The weather during the cruise got warmer as the week went on.  Some warmer weather clothes would have useful.

• Like 1

Sometimes I just want to read about things and how other's pack, etc.......but I don't bring 1/2 (or actually more than that) of the items suggested. Maybe I am just very low maintenance and/or have been lucky or just don't want to bring the "extras".  

Someone mentioned "ladies will be happier with their own shampoos" I totally disagree. I happen to LOVE the shampoo's, conditioners and body wash offered by the line I sail. I never bring my own anymore.

I don't need pegs for a shower curtain.....the showers are all doors.

I don't bring anything to stand my toothbrush, toothpaste, etc...in, as there are glasses in the bathroom to use.

I have never brought a door decoration with me.

And they do have paper and pen in the cabin so no need to bring them either, although I probably have a couple of pens in my purse as standard items.

And in 20 years of cruising I have never brought a roll of duct tape.

Never bring a hamper. I sail solo and usually have any empty drawer in the closet  or I may throw clothes into my carry on.....

Anyway, this thread just says to me

"Different strokes for different folks".

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ruru107 said:

What cruise line and ship will you be on?

Hi, is the question for me? The cruiseline is Silversea. The ship? I have been on multiple ships with them. 

On 5/13/2023 at 10:40 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

a foldable tote bag or a backpack.  very useful when going ashore.  Can hold all your purchases, or (in Alaska) can hold your outer-wear when it turns sunny and warm for those few times off/on.  it will also come in handy to bring back your bulky purchases ( Alaska has the best sweatshirts) so they won't fill up your suitcase.

Most cruises are to the Caribbean ... I think packing for Alaska is a whole different ballgame. 

On 5/14/2023 at 9:51 AM, Lois R said:

I don't need pegs for a shower curtain.....the showers are all doors.

Some of the older ships have showers.  Still, I don't think that requires bringing anything.  

And they do have paper and pen in the cabin

I've sailed several times in the last year and haven't seen paper and pens.  They used to be standard.  

And in 20 years of cruising I have never brought a roll of duct tape.

Me neither.  On the off chance that I do need it, I'll ask the cabin steward.  

13 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Most cruises are to the Caribbean ... I think packing for Alaska is a whole different ballgame. 

Some of the older ships have showers.  Still, I don't think that requires bringing anything.  

I've sailed several times in the last year and haven't seen paper and pens.  They used to be standard.  

Me neither.  On the off chance that I do need it, I'll ask the cabin steward.  

i think packing for an Alaskan cruise is quite simple.  Just take light weight jacket ( water repellant preferred), a sweat shirt ( if I need more warmer clothes, I can buy it in port), and good walking shoes.  A travel tote will hold any souvenirs that are purchased on land, as well as hold the jackets when the sun pops out for the few hours.  I would rather pack for Alaska than Caribbean.  Last time I went to the Carribbean, I took my snorkel gear.  Only used it once, but took up most of my suitcase.  Wont do that again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

i think packing for an Alaskan cruise is quite simple.

I don't think packing for Alaska would be difficult, but it would be different; for example, the clothes'd be more bulky, and you'd need layers.  

18 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

... Last time I went to the Carribbean, I took my snorkel gear.  Only used it once, but took up most of my suitcase.  Wont do that again.

A tip for snorkeling gear:  Tour guides tend to have snorkel gear for you to use, but no one wants to put someone else's snorkel gear in his or her mouth!  Yuck!  You can just bring the mouthpiece and borrow the rest.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have a compromise for the pro-hamper/anti-hamper debate. I always throw a few unscented, white kitchen garbage bags in my suitcase. Takes up no room. Then I throw my wet/dirty clothes in it. When it’s time to pack, the whole bag goes in the suitcase, and my unworn clothes stay clean, dry, and separated from the dirty stuff. Easier unpacking, too, to just empty the bag right into the washing machine without needing to sort through the clean stuff and other incidentals.

Edited by Bound4Bermuda
  • Like 6

on any trip of any sort not cruise specific, I just take a large cloth shopping bag, buy one from cheap shop for few dollars if you dont have already - and use that as a laundry hamper.

Coming home tie the handles together so the dirty clothes stay in it and don't get mixed with clean clothes in suitcase

as above, empty whole thing, (including the bag itself, ready to re use next trip,)  into washing machine

also easy to take clothes in said bag, to the laundromat of a cruise ship, caravan park etc if you are doing washing mid trip.

have never thought of this as a packing hack, just something basic I have done forever.

On 5/13/2023 at 2:12 AM, Nicole&Pete said:

Totally agree with you about the pop up laundry hamper. I was watching a well known cruise advice video channel that was talking about “packing light” and they said they weren’t bringing shampoo but they were bringing a pop up laundry hamper and a night light, I mean come on how can that be more important than shampoo!

When we cruised with our kids when they were younger, we always drove to FL from MN in the winter. That’s an extra five or six days. So, I had a pop up hamper in their cabin for their dirty clothes because on the last sea day I always did a load of laundry for socks, underwear, jammies and tshirts and the one load of the warm clothes we would need on the way home. So, two packets of laundry detergent used to also be on my list. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 8:42 AM, roadster08 said:

One pair of test pants. These are pants that barely fit you when you start your cruise.

Try them on every day.🙂

I try to wear the tighter close at the earlier parts of the cruise😂

• Haha 3