Drink package leaving Cape Liberty

This may sound like a stupid question and may have been addressed, but I know on Carnival cruises leaving NY and Texas, the drink package isn't available until the second day-I'm assuming that doesn't hold true for Liberty OS out of Cape Liberty being in NJ-I always lump the 2 ports into one region

thanks

1 minute ago, peacefrog said:

I'm assuming that doesn't hold true for Liberty OS out of Cape Liberty being in NJ-I always lump the 2 ports into one region

RCI doesn't have such a limitation, regardless of port.

Edited by Biker19

8 minutes ago, peacefrog said:

ok cool  I always wondered why-thought it was some Federal law

It's state liquor laws. In TX, RCI limits what kind of drinks you can have based on which bottles they paid TX state tax on. In NJ, there's no such limit as far as I am aware. That limit goes away as soon as they are in international waters. I assume Carnival can't be bothered to pay the duty in TX and to save money, they just cut everyone off.

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

NCL serves alcohol leaving from NYC, you just need to pay the extra tax (not a lot).

Yup. Last year I cruised NCL out of NYC on a transatlantic that didn't leave port till 8pm. Drinks were flowing all day. NY tax was about a dollar per drink. Not even something to think about.

my 1st cruise ever was haven on NCL and ill never forget the woman at the bar complaining about the tiny bit of tax she had to pay  when we were in manhattan port.  after paying haven pricing!

regarding the carnival issue, can you 'pay for' a drink while in port? i'm assuming their packages are much cheaper than all other lines not to want to pay that tax.