When have you booked air for upcoming cruise

PSahoy

I sail on Insignia next March and not using Oceania air. Airlines’ dates have opened for my itinerary and one airline is offering half of what other airlines are charging. Is it wise to book this early out or wait for possible other airfare deals? Thanks.

3 minutes ago, PSahoy said:

I sail on Insignia next March and not using Oceania air. Airlines’ dates have opened for my itinerary and one airline is offering half of what other airlines are charging. Is it wise to book this early out or wait for possible other airfare deals? Thanks.

Some airlines are notorious for high fares when the booking window opens. In addition, a lot of the fare differences you’ll see are mostly because of routes, connections, layovers. That “cheapest” fare can be a real “horror show.”

I only book fares that allow changes and "refunds" in the form of airline credit; these are more plentiful and cost-effective post-Covid. For me, the flexibility is worth the price difference above the cheapest fare, plus the seat selection and luggage (carry-on and checked) rules affect actual price too. Also, time/distance comes into play...flying a non-stop for 2 hours does not require the comfort of a red-eye to the other side of the globe.

There doesn't seem to be "cheap flights" anymore, especially to Europe.  I wish I had booked when the flights came out but didn't. 

Sailing September - flying to LHR, booked February (prices kept going up) - ended up the flight we wanted was almost FULL.   Book at a price you are comfortable with - not many deals to be had.

If you like the routing and ticket class, book as soon as you can. 

Cheap fares are often decisions. Last year, I booked Nashville-Buenos Aires. Early on a very inexpensive BC ticket became available BNA-JFK-EZE. It was $1K less expensive than either going through MIA or DFW. I didn’t want to fly through JFK in January. I’d rather continue going South. I waited. The routing I wanted continued to go up and the cheap routing via JFK disappeared.

With today’s airfare, I’m rarely finding cheaper fares later.

If you’re using miles, book as soon as you’re in the window.

If paying, book a price you are comfortable  with especially if you want to fly direct or with minimal stops. 

• Like 1

I agree about booking early if using miles.  I just booked a domestic 1st class ticket for January and was pleasantly surprised how few miles were needed. Far fewer than I thought it was going to be. 
If buying with money, wait and see because it may go down.

This has been my experience. 

15 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

I agree about booking early if using miles.  I just booked a domestic 1st class ticket for January and was pleasantly surprised how few miles were needed. Far fewer than I thought it was going to be. 
If buying with money, wait and see because it may go down.

This has been my experience. 

On most airlines these days, both fares and FF tix use “dynamic pricing.” And, in particular (with, at least, some airlines), fares at the start of the booking window may be quite high (in part to capture corporate business travelers and to test the market for others. After a few weeks we may find more reasonable fares. But, after that, dynamic pricing rules.

• Like 1

Booked our flight last week for a cruise next March. We are flying on points so book as soon as the window is open to do so. Over the last couple of years when paying for flights we have booked as soon as they open up and the prices have just continued to climb after that.

I had such a nightmare booking air for our European cruise that the minute I could, I booked flights for our Asian cruise next year. I booked the flights exactly 1 year out, with Korean Air and I'm very happy.

Patty, mine is an Asia cruise as well: 3/25 Tokyo to Hong Kong and what I’m now shopping for airfares. Is that yours? This is now the fourth time in as many years I’ve booked this cruise and hopeful this time it will actually go! 🤞

3 minutes ago, PSahoy said:

Patty, mine is an Asia cruise as well: 3/25 Tokyo to Hong Kong and what I’m now shopping for airfares. Is that yours? This is now the fourth time in as many years I’ve booked this cruise and hopeful this time it will actually go! 🤞

We're on the 3/4/2024 but it's on Celebrity.

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

On most airlines these days, both fares and FF tix use “dynamic pricing.” And, in particular (with, at least, some airlines), fares at the start of the booking window may be quite high (in part to capture corporate business travelers and to test the market for others. After a few weeks we may find more reasonable fares. But, after that, dynamic pricing rules.

BTW: a good way to see this in practice is to follow your target flights (and others) on the ITA Matrix website, which will allow you to look at most of the ways to get from A to B (and even back from C). There’s no tix sold.  But, it’s the best way to see the big picture for your particular needs.

• Thanks 1

No exact formula here. However, I do routinely monitor airfare for a while as the dates become available. We are in Scottsdale, AZ, and booked a Vista cruise January 2024, so started watching fares once they became available.  This is a special occasion, so wanted to treat ourselves to first-class using AMEX points.  One day I noticed that the fare was in the lower side of what I had seen, and a number of 1st class seats were showing already booked.  That's all it took - booked them so we didn't loose out.  I periodically check back, and so far we are coming out ahead.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DENIE said:

No exact formula here. However, I do routinely monitor airfare for a while as the dates become available.

Actually, to a great extent that is the formula.  Monitor similar dates prior to the booking window opening as it allows one to know what a good price is.  Then when the booking window opens you know whether to grab the fare or not.

As far as first class is concerned, it is a dying breed.  American airlines still has first class on its long haul flights but is the last of the US carrier to get rid of them, which is scheduled for 2024, replacing them with more business class. 

For flights from the US to EU, British Airways often has reasonable bump up in price from Club World to First and in the past that was quite important as Club World sucked; their new Club Suite is quite good and the need for First is no longer as necessary IMO. Also Air France and many ME airlines have first class, and Qatar has one of the best business class products out there with their Qsuite, and Qatar business class prices are often quite competitive.

For US to Asia, you can't beat JAL, Singapore or Cathay Pacific fist class IMO, but they are a huge bump up in price from business class, like $16000-18000 for first vs $5000-6000 for business.  You can actually fly on British Airways in first class to Asia (HKG) via London for around $9000, but it's a LONG trip, AND BA first is nowhere near as nice as SX or CX first IMO.

And for US to OZ, Qantas is your only option for flying first and it too, is quite pricy compared to business class; similar to Asia price differentials discussed above.

Another way to fly first class affordably is to use Oneworld or Star Alliance RTW products as they make first class prices quite reasonable; $9000-11000 for a first class around the world ticket.  Sky team got rid of the around the world products when Covid hit and have not brought them back, and to be quite honest the first class options with sky team are pretty much limited to Air France, China Airlines and China Eastern so not a huge selection.  Even Star Alliance has no first from US to EU.  But the OW and *A business class RTW tickets are also quite attractive with prices ranging from $6000-9000 when originating from lower cost starting points.  Prior to Covid I was doing a first class RTW trip yearly, but airlines have only resumed flying their first class aircraft in the past year and still the frequency of first class flights and destinations are slim compared to pre-Covid. No sense paying for first class if there aren't sufficient first class flights.  I am tentatively planning to do a business class RTW ticket starting next April, but other plans need to be finalized before I pull the trigger.

The other downside for first class is that if you are traveling with someone and want to sit together then in many cases that is not possible as configuration is often 1 + 1 + 1 across, vs business class configuration of 1 + 2 + 1 or 2 + 2 + 2.  Now, Singapore Airlines does have a very nice first double suite for two on their A380, but for a price.  I usually foy oneworld, so not sure if the Star Alliance first class RTW ticket allows booking of Singapore First Suites.  There are currently no A380 First Suite routes between US and SIN, but there are between SIN and LHR; however, checking numerous dates all flights are zeroed out for A class into which the RTW product is booked and only full fare F class is available.  FWIW, roundtrip from LHR to SIN in full fare First Suites on Singapore Airlines is $15,300/person, less than I expected.

Well anyway, enough rambling.  I hope some of you find this info helpful.  The bottom line is knowing what a good price is in the current revenge travel era is the key, AND business class is selling quicker and as a general rule I have found prices increase greatly if you wait.  Of course there are exceptions to that rule, especially for routes that are NOT in high demand. Same goes for hotels if you're doing pre or post land travel; book early and only book refundable room rates so you can modify your booking if room rates drop.

Edited by Fam_Cruise

While I did address the OP's question from their first post, I noticed that I didn't directly answer the OP's implied question in the subject.

Yes, I book my air as soon as possible, when I see a good fare. Specific recent example:

I booked domestic first class one-way flight from DCA to MIA next March for $473 because I had been monitoring rates and anticipated rates dropping to this level a couple months after the booking window opened.  Much to my surprise the day the booking window opened the $473 (I fare class) price was available instead of the usual $985 (D fare class), so I booked it. Only one seat available at that price.  I sent my itinerary to my traveling companion and she called a couple days later and said she was getting ready to book but couldn't justify paying $985 for first so was going to purchase basic economy for $325 or some similar price and have to pay additional for seat assignment and baggage. I told her to wait as I had an alert set up to notify me when I fare inventory becomes available. She replied, "This is why I always call you first". Again, I figured it would be weeks, however a few days later I received the alert, notified her and she immediately booked the same flight for $478. Done and done.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2023 at 1:49 PM, PSahoy said:

I often use Google Flights to check and track prices, as well as to obtain the typical pricing spread for particular flight itinerary.  I believe it does now work well for open jaws, but it has helped me decide on when to pull the trigger on flight purchases.

But my recommendation (which is the same as what others have shared) is to book the flights when you find an itinerary that works well for you at the price point that you are willing to pay.  Also, since many airlines have very generous rebooking policies, it MIGHT be possible to re-book it if and when the prices come down after you book.  I have done that also and ended up with credits (not cash back) that I then used on another flights with the same airline.  So, it might be a good idea to check the re-booking policy on the ticket before pulling the trigger.

Edited by Psoque
fixed a botched edit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fam_Cruise said:

While I did address the OP's question from their first post, I noticed that I didn't directly answer the OP's implied question in the subject.

Yes, I book my air as soon as possible, when I see a good fare. Specific recent example:

I booked domestic first class one-way flight from DCA to MIA next March for $473 because I had been monitoring rates and anticipated rates dropping to this level a couple months after the booking window opened.  Much to my surprise the day the booking window opened the $473 (I fare class) price was available instead of the usual $985 (D fare class), so I booked it. Only one seat available at that price.  I sent my itinerary to my traveling companion and she called a couple days later and said she was getting ready to book but couldn't justify paying $985 for first so was going to purchase basic economy for $325 or some similar price and have to pay additional for seat assignment and baggage. I told her to wait as I had an alert set up to notify me when I fare inventory becomes available. She replied, "This is why I always call you first". Again, I figured it would be weeks, however a few days later I received the alert, notified her and she immediately booked the same flight for $478. Done and done.

@Fam_Cruise  To add to what you said about First Class being a dying breed,  United does not specifically offer First Class but they do have 3 classes of seating on their long haul flights. I am guessing their Polaris Business class is similar to First Class on foreign carriers.  Lie-flat seats and excellent meal service. United has a large fleet of Boeing 787s that fly to Europe and across the Pacific that offers the 3 classes of service.  Their Polaris lounges at ORD and SFO are beautiful and second to none. 

Thank you for posting your extensive knowledge about airlines.

For flights next March/early April I'm now thinking of grabbing this lower fare based on your replies: the itinerary is LAX-HND(Tokyo) return HKG(Hong Kong)-LAX. ANA biz fare is $3773 vs United, Delta, American/JAL in the $4500-$7K level. ANA has a good rep but never flown them. On return I can take either a flight that has 1.5 hr layover at HND or 4 hour. Is 1.5 hour enough for luggage to be transferred (intra-airline flights)? My original dilemma of purchasing now vs waiting for better fare is I think answered given the discrepancy in fares.