Wheelchair assistance from ship to excursion bus.

Wink87

I don't require a wheelchair in my daily life, but the length and incline at ports like Juneau and Skagway are going to be too much for me. We will be on Ovation of the Seas in July to Alaska and I'm hoping I can get an assist from a staff member with one of their chairs. Our excursions are such that I don't need a wheelchair once on the bus. Ty

7 hours ago, Wink87 said:

I'm hoping I can get an assist from a staff member with one of their chairs.

By "assist," do you for the cruise vessel to provide a wheelchair for you, or do you expect the cruise line to push you around in one of their wheelchairs while ashore?

14 minutes ago, GTJ said:

By "assist," do you for the cruise vessel to provide a wheelchair for you, or do you expect the cruise line to push you around in one of their wheelchairs while ashore?

Oh gosh no! They take me up the ramp on embarkation day as the ramps can be too steep for me. They use their chairs and a crew member to push and I thank and tip generously. The dock in Juneau is quite a distance and incline up to the excursion busses. Was wondering if they could provide assistance. 

I have not been on RCCL in many years but are you talking about a rental chair? I dont think that any of the other lines we have been on had their own chairs once you left the port where you get on and off. You are correct to be concerned because of the high AK tides. Sometimes they have to change the gangway locations because of the tides. So is the plan to use their chair to get to the pier and have them take the chair back to the ship and do reverse on return. If that is the plan I don't see it working altho I could be all goofed up. 

sightcrr

@Wink87, if you need that type of assistance, you might want to consider renting an electric scooter.  There may be restriction on what the crew can and can't do in port for passengers. 

Are you traveling with another individual?  If so, could that person assist you?  If not, you really might consider that scooter rental.

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@Wink87, if you need that type of assistance, you might want to consider renting an electric scooter.  There may be restriction on what the crew can and can't do in port for passengers. 

Are you traveling with another individual?  If so, could that person assist you?  If not, you really might consider that scooter rental.

Ty for this. 

4 hours ago, SightCRR said:

I have not been on RCCL in many years but are you talking about a rental chair? I dont think that any of the other lines we have been on had their own chairs once you left the port where you get on and off. You are correct to be concerned because of the high AK tides. Sometimes they have to change the gangway locations because of the tides. So is the plan to use their chair to get to the pier and have them take the chair back to the ship and do reverse on return. If that is the plan I don't see it working altho I could be all goofed up. 

sightcrr

Yes, that would be my hope that they take me off the ship and up the dock to the excursion bus and then return. It is often a long walk off the ship to the busses. I have planned excursions with limited walking but often just getting to the bus is the problem.