Peanut Allergy

Hello,

Thanks in advance for any information.  I am traveling to the Baltics/Northern Europe this June with my tween daughter who is allergic to peanuts.

Our ports are Copenhagen, Stockholm, Riga, Klaipeda, Visby, Warnemunde, Helsinki, Kotka, Gydnia, and Talinn.

Will we be easily understood regarding the allergy when ordering in English? I can use Google translate but am wary when there is a significant language barrier.

Do other countries take these questions/food preparation seriously?

It has been our experience in Germany, France and Spain generally that in some cases restaurants are MORE careful than the US regarding allergies and food prep.

Thanks!

The level of English in Northern Europe (and Europe in general) particularly in tourist areas is very good. People here also have food allergies that restaurants are used to accommodating. It's not a region-specific condition 🤷‍♀️

Edited by ExpatBride

I found these recently, and plan to order one (or more) of the fish allergy ones in various languages for our next cruise.  Link is to the print at home version, but they have plastic cards you can order as well.  May not need it, but I’d rather have it and not use it than need to explain my allergy and have them not understand.

https://equaleats.com/products/digital-peanut-allergy-translation-card

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

I found these recently, and plan to order one (or more) of the fish allergy ones in various languages for our next cruise.  Link is to the print at home version, but they have plastic cards you can order as well.  May not need it, but I’d rather have it and not use it than need to explain my allergy and have them not understand.

https://equaleats.com/products/digital-peanut-allergy-translation-card

Thank you! I used these a few years ago in Iceland and it definitely gave us peace of mind.  Thank you for the reminder and link!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ExpatBride said:

The level of English in Northern Europe (and Europe in general) particularly in tourist areas is very good. People here also have food allergies that restaurants are used to accommodating. It's not a region-specific condition 🤷‍♀️

Indeed!  Such a shame.