$36 upgrade?

We have a cruise on the Radiance in 30 days (whoo! 🎉). San Pedro is our "home port" so we've taken this cruise once already, and I'm sure we'll take it many more times over the coming years.

Like the cheapskates (and sound sleepers) we are, we booked an interior guarantee room.  Here at the 30 day mark were offered an upgrade for an "upper floor" for $36.

Of you're the type of cruiser who takes a guarantee rate in the first place, is this an upgrade you'd be interested in? At that price?

I mean, I know the upper floors are better, but I would have thought that if it was important enough to you, you'd have booked a fare type that allowed you to choose your room? Maybe not? 🤔 Maybe later you'd be like, really, $36 isn't too much to pay for a better room, not really. 🤷

Curious what you guys think.

(Hubby was planning on getting the thermal suite anyway, loves the loungers. So we took the other upgrade offered, one for an interior spa room for $128. A higher floor, AND the thermal suite, win win!)

Edited by deelightfull
Grammer 😆

I would take it for sure for $36.  Two reasons, we REALLY like being on the higher floors.   Most importantly you will KNOW what room you are getting and can be sure when you select it it is in a favorable area and not by something you don't want to be (EX:  Too close to elevators, something above or below you that will be a noise issue, etc.)

With a guarantee you might end up in a room that you aren't going to like.

$36 is totally worth it if you ask me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deelightfull said:

I mean, I know the upper floors are better, but I would have thoug

I actually don't prefer the upper decks anymore. I used to believe the higher floors were better (because that is what they tell you when they want to sell you an upgrade) but recently we tried a cove balcony (deck 2) for the first time and absolutely loved it.  We loved being able to take the stairs to the common areas on decks 3, 4, and 5.  We loved being so close to the gangway for getting on and off in the ports among other things.  I don't necessarily care if I'm on a higher or lower deck, but I do care what is above and below my room because I'm a light sleeper.

Congrats on the spa cabin upgrade - sounds like it worked out perfectly for your needs.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, deelightfull said:

We had a room assigned, on the second floor.  The $36 does not give the chance to choose your own room, just to guarantee 😉 your guaranteed interior was on an "upper floor", whatever that means.  

Upper floor probably means something above the Promenade deck. I like staying on Empress on this class of ship - Promenade is just 2 floors down, Lido 2 floors up. But you don't get to guarantee it like you said. They could stick you in a room right above the night club, and sell you another upgrade to get out of it...

The spa upgrade was the better deal in my book so that was a good move.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I like to be on lido or one deck below it. Forward. For $36 I would probably do it to not get stuck on deck 1 or something.

I love being on deck 1.  Very few people roaming the halls down there, and it is easy peasy to get to the disembarkation point for port visits.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I love being on deck 1.  Very few people roaming the halls down there, and it is easy peasy to get to the disembarkation point for port visits.

I was down there on my first cruise and I hated it. It was just too far from everything. It would be nice getting back on the ship, but I'll take the convenience for the rest of the cruise over that.

19 hours ago, deelightfull said:

Of you're the type of cruiser who takes a guarantee rate in the first place, is this an upgrade you'd be interested in? At that price?

I just got off the radiance last week- you're going to have a great trip!

The ship itself isn't that large, and I didn't mind being on a lower floor (I was on deck 1). One of your stops will likely be a tender port, so being lower makes it easier to get to/from the tender as well.

Higher floors have the benefit of being closer to things so you might not have to wait for an elevator if you can use the stairs, though. It's kind of up to what you think you'll be doing most of while onboard.