B2B Vancouver to Seward, then Seward to Vancouver

Envelope21

We have a B2B booked on Celebrity this coming August. We are scheduled to arrive at 5am in Seward on the first cruise, then the following cruise departs at 7:00 pm. that evening. When we first booked these two cruises, it seemed like there would be plenty of time while in port to get in a nice tour. But upon thinking about it, the window of opportunity may be much smaller ... mainly because this is not just a regular port stop, but a disembark and embark port.

It seems to me that cruise ships usually cut off boarding passengers about an hour and a half before departure, because of certain maritime rules having to do with the manifest.

We have done a B2B before and as I recall, they walk you off the boat and then re-check you in and that's about it. 

I would appreciate any insights.

Thanks so much.

Not that I have particular experience, but the normal b2b procedures would throw a wrench in any amazing tours, as the 6 hour tours that leave at 11:30 (after you would be completed with your procedures) would get you back too close to the all aboard and the 8am tours (that happen in August I hope!) would have you not done with the b2b cruisers before checking in there.  I wonder if you can just "self disembark" with the other folk (or arrange to) at 7 and go to the 8am tour to be back in time to "check back in" (completing b2b procedures and whatnot)? 

We have both embarked and disembarked in Seward.  We are also Zenith members of Celebrity's Captain's  Club program so have done numerous B2B turnaround days.  Celebrity's turnaround day procedures ensure that it is very easy for B2B passengers to spend the day off the ship.  I suspect they prefer that B2B passengers are off the ship.

You will be free to leave the ship for the day.  You will be issued a transit pass before you leave the ship which will allow you to bypass the usual boarding lines (although Celebrity now has such a streamlined boarding process that lines are minimal).  Celebrity frequently has meetings for B2B passengers, but there may be so few B2B passengers for this cruise they may not.  But you will receive a detailed instruction letter.  You will be able to leave as soon as disembarking passengers are free to do so.  Many will be leaving at 7 AM-ish.  You will indeed have sufficient time in port to explore.

Seward is a popular port for the staff and crew as the bulk of the passengers will be off early morning and the ship doesn't leave until early evening.  So the staff and crew have hours off.  You will find them shopping at the local Safeway for snacks and sundry items.

The Seward cruise terminal (think "warehouse") is located beside the small boat harbor.  The town is located on the other side of the small boat harbor.  Seward is a community where Alaskans go for instate recreation, and has a much more "authentic Alaska" feeling to it than some of the cruise ship ports in SE Alaska.  No Diamonds International, and the folks you encounter in the shops generally live in the community.

If you are interested in a Kenai Fjords boat excursion our favorite vendor is Major Marine.  Their check in desk is located in the Harbor 360 Hotel which you will see from the ship across the small boat harbor.  Other options for the day would include the SeaLife Center or a visit to Exit Glacier.  Seward also has interesting shops and nice restaurants.  

37 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

If you are interested in a Kenai Fjords boat excursion our favorite vendor is Major Marine.  Their check in desk is located in the Harbor 360 Hotel which you will see from the ship across the small boat harbor.  Other options for the day would include the SeaLife Center or a visit to Exit Glacier.  Seward also has interesting shops and nice restaurants.  

I can't stress enough that anyone on a ship to/from Seward should be on a Kenai Fjords tour!!! 🙂

• Like 1

We are currently B2B on the Celebrity Millenium, Vancouver to Seward and back. Today is turn around day in Seward. There are approx. 200 people that are B2B out of Vancouver for this two weeks.

We were able to walk off the ship if we wanted to beginning at approx. 7 am along with disembarking passengers. All aboard, including for B2Bers is 5pm. 

The free shuttle into town runs all day. 

You can safely do the 6.5 fjord cruises, the 8hr might be possible depending on when the head out.

I’m on Royal for a B2B the first two weeks of July. We are either hiking at exit glacier or the fjords. We have done the fjords the previous two trips when we just did one way north bounds so was thinking about doing something new.

8 hours ago, Kathscof said:

Not that I have particular experience, but the normal b2b procedures would throw a wrench in any amazing tours, as the 6 hour tours that leave at 11:30 (after you would be completed with your procedures) would get you back too close to the all aboard and the 8am tours (that happen in August I hope!) would have you not done with the b2b cruisers before checking in there.  I wonder if you can just "self disembark" with the other folk (or arrange to) at 7 and go to the 8am tour to be back in time to "check back in" (completing b2b procedures and whatnot)? 

Royal has a ship sponsored tour on Major Marine for B2B cruisers that departs at 8:30am and is 9hrs in duration ship to ship which means it’s likely the 8hr fjords cruise. So it’s more than possible to do either the 6.5hr or 8hrs depending on what time the the tour operators start.

Edited by wreckem2013

9 hours ago, wreckem2013 said:

Royal has a ship sponsored tour on Major Marine for B2B cruisers that departs at 8:30am and is 9hrs in duration ship to ship which means it’s likely the 8hr fjords cruise. So it’s more than possible to do either the 6.5hr or 8hrs depending on what time the the tour operators start.

I am the OP. Thank you to everyone who responded. Especially quote above. It didn't occur to me to look and see if there was a B2B excursion offered on our Celebrity Millennium cruises ... and lo and behold, there IS one! For the exact excursions I was looking for. I'm so excited! Thank you everyone!