Princess Majestic Alaskan cruise stops at Mt Denali I and Mt McKinley Lodge

LaDingy81

Hello, 

My husband and I are hoping to go on an Alaskan cruise that may also include visiting Mt Denali, and Mt McKinley. This sounds wonderful, but I have a concern about the land tours, due to my health. 

Not being familiar with these land tours, and what they involve, I have a few questions that I am hoping you may be able to answer. 

1) On these land tours, do you take a bus through the area, and stop at destined sightseeing areas for a view, or do you do walking tours, etc? 

2) If I feel up to going on the tour, then end up not feeling well once on it, will I be able to stay on the bus while the tour takes place?

3) If I am not feeling up to going on a tour, can I stay at the designated lodge while the tour takes place? Is there anything to do while at the lodge, ie- restaurants, lobby, etc, if I feel up to stepping out of our room? 

4) We are thinking about doing the Princess Majestic 13 day cruise-tour. Is this a good cruiseline for this type of Alaskan cruise? 

I sure would appreciate any information you may be able to throw my way. 

Thank you! 

• Like 1

• Host Kat changed the title to Princess Majestic Alaskan cruise stops at Mt Denali I and Mt McKinley Lodge
1 hour ago, LaDingy81 said:

Hello, 

My husband and I are hoping to go on an Alaskan cruise that may also include visiting Mt Denali, and Mt McKinley. This sounds wonderful, but I have a concern about the land tours, due to my health. 

Not being familiar with these land tours, and what they involve, I have a few questions that I am hoping you may be able to answer. 

1) On these land tours, do you take a bus through the area, and stop at destined sightseeing areas for a view, or do you do walking tours, etc? The land tour portion basically gets you from point A to point B. If you're looking at Princess as you state in question #4, you will need to carefully look at the cruise tour you are considering. It will state if you are taking a bus or a train each day. Any other tours, except perhaps the Denali bus tour, are extra. You book them as an added excursion. If you post the date of the cruise tour, that would help.

2) If I feel up to going on the tour, then end up not feeling well once on it, will I be able to stay on the bus while the tour takes place? N/A and see above answer. Unless you are referring to an excursion tour, in which case, you would be at the lodge and have a room to stay in, if you were not going. If you book an excursion, you will need to pay attention to the cancellation policy for a refund.

3) If I am not feeling up to going on a tour, can I stay at the designated lodge while the tour takes place? Is there anything to do while at the lodge, ie- restaurants, lobby, etc, if I feel up to stepping out of our room? Again, I am speaking from experience with Princess. There are restaurants and a lobby area at the Princess hotels. I found the grounds to be quite lovely and if you were not up to doing tours on a given day, you might enjoy the surroundings at the lodges.

4) We are thinking about doing the Princess Majestic 13 day cruise-tour. Is this a good cruiseline for this type of Alaskan cruise? In my opinion, Princess does an excellent job in Alaska. I'm doing my third cruise to Alaska (2nd cruise tour) with Princess this August. Again if you post the date of the cruise tours you are considering, it would be helpful to tailor a reply.

I sure would appreciate any information you may be able to throw my way. 

Thank you! 

See my answers in red above. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 2

I had polio as a child and no longer walk well at all. I use a wheelchair for mobility. We did a land tour prior to our cruise. We did this pre-covid. We flew to Anchorage and then took a train to the Mt. McKinley and Denali lodges on separate days. There were extra cost excursions at both lodges. At the Denali lodge we had an included natural history tour (we turned this in and paid for the longer wilderness tour). You can also go to the Natural Park Service Denali park area for other options. There was plenty to do at the lodge and at the park. After we left Denali we took an 8 hour bus trip from there to Copper River Lodge. We loved this stop. We had a lunch stop at a small restaurant that included restrooms. The Copper River Lodge had a restaurant and offered optional tours. After two days we took the bus to Valdez and boarded a catamaran to cross Prince William Sound into Whittier where we boarded our ship. I was able to do most things. The train was especially accessible as there was a lift from the entry area to the upper seating area. I liked doing the land first as I was able to rest a bit on the cruise. 

• Thanks 2

katisdale, 

Thank you for replying back to me ! It was all so helpful. It also made for more questions, which is a good thing. Hopefully you will be able to answer them if you have time. 

1) I'm assuming the lodging is included with the cruise fare, and that a room would already be assigned to us when we get there?

2) I assumed that Princess cruise would set up transportation for us to get from one lodge to the other lodge, then back to the ship for departure. Am I correct on this, or do we need to set up a car rental to get to where we need to go? 

3) So from my understanding, we set up a tour of our choice while we're on land, as opposed to Princess Cruise already having something set up for the group.(?)

I was thinking the same thing of what you had brought up, and that is cruising 'after' being on land, to be able to take it easy. 

Also, I don't normally use a wheelchair, but we have been using one for museums, airports, Disneyland, etc. Anything that has me standing without a place to sit, or the need to walk for short or long distances. I'll have to see if the cruise line would happen to have a wheelchair that I could use, just in case. 

Thanks again for the info! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, portiemom said:

See my answers in red above. Hope this helps.

portiemon, 

I so appreciated all of your replies to my questions. Thank you for taking the time to respond. 

You know, I was looking up cruises on American Discount Cruise, but 'ding, ding, ding, ding'! I'm thinking I need to go directly to the Princess Cruise site to get more detailed info. From your experience, is this the best place to get all of the necessary and accurate info? 

It's good to hear you say that Princess does a good job, and that their lodging is beautiful. 🙂

1 hour ago, LaDingy81 said:

... I'll have to see if the cruise line would happen to have a wheelchair that I could use, just in case. 

Most cruise lines do not have wheelchairs for guests to use during cruises. You will need to rent one for the duration of your cruise. Here is an oldie but goodie Cruise Critic article last updated January 15, 2019 that may be helpful: How to Rent a Scooter or Wheelchair for Your Cruise 

Also, you may want to check out our Disabled Cruise Travel forum. That is where Cruise Critic members with physical limitations share their advice & experiences. Browse through the thread titles on that forum looking for threads of interest. You will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers there that may be of interest to you.

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happ sails,

Host Kat

• Like 2

I think you are a little confused. Land tours are either before or after the cruise. No “getting back the  land tour is a separate package from the cruise. Some people don’t to the land tour and just head home. But yes, the lodges are included in the land tour cost. You get assigned a room when you get there. There is a train that takes you from the ship to the first stop (or to the ship in reverse) but then it’s buses from there. 

I was very underwhelmed by the land tour (Fairbanks is awful) but something you must do if you are going to Alaska only once. I wouldn’t do it again. But glad I did it. 

• Like 1

I would suggest that you spend 2 days at each lodge that you visit.  One day only gets you there, sleep, and get on the bus the next day; very tiring.  

We reserve cruises/cruisetours through a travel agent and asked her to get us close to the main lodge since we are limited in our walking.  You may wish to designate handicapped lodging.  They have shuttle buses to get you around the campus from your room to main lodge, but sometimes it is quite a distance to walk.  Shuttles may be inconsistent in timing.

Check out the reviews posted here about Princess cruisetours.  They can answer a lot of questions.  We have been twice.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LaDingy81 said:

I'm thinking I need to go directly to the Princess Cruise site to get more detailed info. From your experience, is this the best place to get all of the necessary and accurate info?

Yep, as with most things go directly to the source.😀

You mentioned a 13-day cruisetour on the Majestic. One example is the Denali Explorer cruise tour. You start in Fairbanks and 2 nights of lodging are included. You can choose any excursions (tours) in Fairbanks that you are interested in from the Princess web site. These excursions are not included. Or you can book an independent tour. Or nothing at all. Choice is yours!

Next you board a bus to go to your Denali lodging. You stay in lodging that is included for 2 nights. There is an included Natural History Tour on your second day that takes you into Denali National Park. (You can upgrade this tour to a longer one, if you want. Or cancel it.) You can choose other excursions that Princess offers or do something else.

Next you go to Mt. McKinley lodging by bus where you spend another 2 nights. As before, you can do what you want while you are there. Princess excursion, independent excursion, no excursion.

Then you board the train to Whittier where you embark the cruise portion. You are done with the land portion. Your 7-day cruise stops at various ports along the way, where you can pay for an excursion, do something on your own, like walk around the town, or just stay on board, if you're not up to it that day.

Cruise ends in Vancouver. Just one example. You can do this same itinerary with the cruise first and then the land. Or find something that better suits you. Explore more on the Princess site and these boards. The Alaska forum is a wealth of information. There are so many choices and decisions to make, it can be overwhelming. Many people plan a year or two before going to Alaska to really get the most out of their visit. Enjoy the process!😀

• Like 1

@LaDingy81         Greetings

You indicated there may be some mobility issues. 

I found information on the Princess website for people using wheelchairs, scooters, etc.  that have mobility issues.  Please follow up with your Travel Agent.

Per Princess Cruise Line:  You must complete a Mobility Request Questionnaire.

Mobility Requests:

Guests using mobility devices or who need additional assistance should fill out the below Mobility Questionnaire and return it to the Access Office. Traveling with a service animal requires review and prior approval from the Access Office. The Access Office can be reached at accessoffice@princesscruises.com or by fax at 661-284-4408.

Mobility Requests:

Go to -- Manage this booking.

Select -- Check-In

A “pdf file” for the request is found in the middle of your “Check-In” screen.

Also, you may want to check the sub forum – “Disability Cruise Travel”.  This forum provides general info regarding tips, accessibility, mobility, wheelchair assistance, tour operators that accommodate persons with mobility issues, etc.

In Addition:

The Princess Cruise Tour uses Ultra dome cars.

There are four (4) types of coach cars that Princess uses.  

Series II “A” Coaches – ADA compliant

Series I “B” Coaches – Not ADA compliant

Series I “C” Coaches – ADA compliant

Series II “E” Coaches – ADA compliant

If I remember correctly – B coaches are still not ADA accessible.

They coaches were built in various years from 1988 to 1996.  Please let Princess know your mobility needs.

ADA features:  Wheelchair life to lower level, 1 restroom, they added a lift to the upper level in 2006.

Hope this helps planning your cruise.  John         

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 8:20 AM, portiemom said:

Yep, as with most things go directly to the source.😀

You mentioned a 13-day cruisetour on the Majestic. One example is the Denali Explorer cruise tour. You start in Fairbanks and 2 nights of lodging are included. You can choose any excursions (tours) in Fairbanks that you are interested in from the Princess web site. These excursions are not included. Or you can book an independent tour. Or nothing at all. Choice is yours!

Next you board a bus to go to your Denali lodging. You stay in lodging that is included for 2 nights. There is an included Natural History Tour on your second day that takes you into Denali National Park. (You can upgrade this tour to a longer one, if you want. Or cancel it.) You can choose other excursions that Princess offers or do something else.

Next you go to Mt. McKinley lodging by bus where you spend another 2 nights. As before, you can do what you want while you are there. Princess excursion, independent excursion, no excursion.

Then you board the train to Whittier where you embark the cruise portion. You are done with the land portion. Your 7-day cruise stops at various ports along the way, where you can pay for an excursion, do something on your own, like walk around the town, or just stay on board, if you're not up to it that day.

Cruise ends in Vancouver. Just one example. You can do this same itinerary with the cruise first and then the land. Or find something that better suits you. Explore more on the Princess site and these boards. The Alaska forum is a wealth of information. There are so many choices and decisions to make, it can be overwhelming. Many people plan a year or two before going to Alaska to really get the most out of their visit. Enjoy the process!😀

Portiemom, 

It was extremely helpful for you to go into detail about the lodging, etc. I also took your comment to heart about people planning a year or two ahead of schedule. Now that I have more of an idea of what to expect, we are planning on doing a seven day Alaskan cruise this year, then do the tour cruise next summer. 

Thank you for all of your insight. 🙂

On 5/20/2023 at 8:03 AM, georgiacat said:

I would suggest that you spend 2 days at each lodge that you visit.  One day only gets you there, sleep, and get on the bus the next day; very tiring.  

We reserve cruises/cruisetours through a travel agent and asked her to get us close to the main lodge since we are limited in our walking.  You may wish to designate handicapped lodging.  They have shuttle buses to get you around the campus from your room to main lodge, but sometimes it is quite a distance to walk.  Shuttles may be inconsistent in timing.

Check out the reviews posted here about Princess cruisetours.  They can answer a lot of questions.  We have been twice.

georgiacat, 

Thank you for your input! I do agree that lodging for only one night does sound extremely tiring. I will make sure that we have more than one night per lodge. 🙂

On 5/20/2023 at 9:46 AM, John99 said:

@LaDingy81         Greetings

You indicated there may be some mobility issues. 

I found information on the Princess website for people using wheelchairs, scooters, etc.  that have mobility issues.  Please follow up with your Travel Agent.

Per Princess Cruise Line:  You must complete a Mobility Request Questionnaire.

Mobility Requests:

Guests using mobility devices or who need additional assistance should fill out the below Mobility Questionnaire and return it to the Access Office. Traveling with a service animal requires review and prior approval from the Access Office. The Access Office can be reached at accessoffice@princesscruises.com or by fax at 661-284-4408.

Mobility Requests:

Go to -- Manage this booking.

Select -- Check-In

A “pdf file” for the request is found in the middle of your “Check-In” screen.

Also, you may want to check the sub forum – “Disability Cruise Travel”.  This forum provides general info regarding tips, accessibility, mobility, wheelchair assistance, tour operators that accommodate persons with mobility issues, etc.

In Addition:

The Princess Cruise Tour uses Ultra dome cars.

There are four (4) types of coach cars that Princess uses.  

Series II “A” Coaches – ADA compliant

Series I “B” Coaches – Not ADA compliant

Series I “C” Coaches – ADA compliant

Series II “E” Coaches – ADA compliant

If I remember correctly – B coaches are still not ADA accessible.

They coaches were built in various years from 1988 to 1996.  Please let Princess know your mobility needs.

ADA features:  Wheelchair life to lower level, 1 restroom, they added a lift to the upper level in 2006.

Hope this helps planning your cruise.  John         

John99,

Thank you for taking the time to look up the ADA info for me. This will be extremely helpful when we set up our cruise tour. I hadn't even given the charter busses any thought as to convenience, being ADA compliant, etc. We decided to put off the cruise tour for next summer, and do a 7 day Alaskan this summer. 🙂

My report if the land portion of a Princess  cruisetour is a few years old, but should give you a good idea of what the land portion is like. 

Now my tour was what Princess calls a Connoisseur tour. It costs more, but it includes many meals and some excursions besides the wilderness tour. We also did some optional excursions which I assume you would not be doing.

I thoroughly agree with georgiacat that you should spend two nights at each lodge. If you only spend one night it means you are traveling every day between lodges which leaves very little time to experience what each location has to offer.

(One thing different now is that the train no longer has the seating shown in my photos with some people riding facing the rear and a table between the two rows.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LaDingy81 said:

Portiemom, 

It was extremely helpful for you to go into detail about the lodging, etc. I also took your comment to heart about people planning a year or two ahead of schedule. Now that I have more of an idea of what to expect, we are planning on doing a seven day Alaskan cruise this year, then do the tour cruise next summer. 

Thank you for all of your insight. 🙂

I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying you are just doing a cruise this year and just doing a land tour next summer? Someone can correct me, but I don’t think you can just do a land tour. It has to be WITH a cruise. You can do a cruise without a land tour but not a land tour without a cruise. Unless I just read that wrong. 

13 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I’m not sure I understand. Are you saying you are just doing a cruise this year and just doing a land tour next summer? Someone can correct me, but I don’t think you can just do a land tour. It has to be WITH a cruise. You can do a cruise without a land tour but not a land tour without a cruise. Unless I just read that wrong. 

Sox Fan,

I can see how you would be confused. We decided to do just a cruise this year, and save the cruise tour for the 2024 summer. Just so we'll not feel rushed and overwhelmed to figure out our schedule if we were to do a cruise tour this year. Hope this makes more sense. 

19 hours ago, caribill said:

My report if the land portion of a Princess  cruisetour is a few years old, but should give you a good idea of what the land portion is like. 

Now my tour was what Princess calls a Connoisseur tour. It costs more, but it includes many meals and some excursions besides the wilderness tour. We also did some optional excursions which I assume you would not be doing.

I thoroughly agree with georgiacat that you should spend two nights at each lodge. If you only spend one night it means you are traveling every day between lodges which leaves very little time to experience what each location has to offer.

(One thing different now is that the train no longer has the seating shown in my photos with some people riding facing the rear and a table between the two rows.)

Caribil, 

Your cruise summary from 2012 was extremely helpful. Thank you! I'll make sure to post other questions that I may have. 🙂