New Viking Northwest Passage Cruise - Not

donaldsc

Viking is advertising a new Canada & the Northwest Passage 27 DAYS | Nuuk to Toronto cruise.  If you look at the map for the cruise (https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=rm&ogbl#search/in%3Atrash+viking/FMfcgzGsmhWjLMPsdzWMdzrFNCNPfDPB) you can clearly see that it is definitely NOT a Northwest Passage cruise.  It looks like a sort of interesting cruise that wastes too many days out of the high Arctic but in no way should it be advertised as Northwest Passage.

DON

15 hours ago, donaldsc said:

My reason for the post was to point out that Viking claims that this is a NE Passage cruise which it is not.  I would call that deceptive advertising.

DON

This is similar to the cruise lines advertising the "Inside Passage" in Alaska and spending most of the time in open ocean. In Alaska they don't specify how much of the "Inside Passage" they navigate and don't specify a full transit, as we used to complete.

In the Arctic, they don't specify a full transit, but do sail in the NW Passage, which starts at the N/Atlantic Ocean. In my opinion, the "Into the NW Passage" is aptly named as almost the entire R/T cruise is sailing the NW Passage. They don't publish a NW Passage transit, which would be impossible on a R/T cruise lasting only 13-days.

Personally, based on the cruise name and length, it is as I expected. I don't see how this could be construed a deceptive advertising. It sails into the NW Passage, as it crosses the Arctic Circle and sails through about the eastern 1/3 of the total passage.

Possibly in future years we may see the ships venture further into the NW Passage and possibly even a full transit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Possibly in future years we may see the ships venture further into the NW Passage and possibly even a full transit

Andy,

Good explanation, as always.

Lindblad has a current northwest passage itinerary, from Greenland to Alaska, about three weeks for the one-way passage.

Link below:

https://www.expeditions.com/expeditions/northwest-passage-greenland-to-alaska#dates-and-rates

MT

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

FYI I previously posted the link in this post

Looks like-a great trip. My wife wants to see Greenland. Other cruises end or start in Iceland which we do not want to see again. 

• Like 2