How is dining assigned / reserved ?

Alifay

In the past I’ve been assigned a dining time, or been able to reserve a time I pick ahead of time, or been able to show up and wait for a table. How does it work on HAL?  For example, I’d prefer a set later dining time for just the two of us by an aft window. Is there a method to put in those requests ahead of time?  Do we get assigned a table for the cruise, or just whatever is available?  

Would love a run-down on MDR dining options and methods. Thank you!

You will select your dining preference when you book the cruise, either with your Travel Agent or HAL Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC).  Fixed early or late seating.  You can request a table for two or for more if you want to share.  You should get the same table and waiters each evening with fixed dining.  The other choice is As You Wish Dining where you just show up at the Main Dining Room when you want to eat.  You can request a table for two or agree to share a table each night.  I'm told it's possible to reserve some dining times when you have the As You Wish Dining but it wasn't working on my last cruise so don't know the current status.

From HAL website:

Frequently Asked Questions | Holland America

Cruise Ship Dining & Restaurants | Holland America Line

What ship will you be sailing on?  More specific info can be given as different ships have different venues available.

If you pay extra for Club Orange, on the Pinnacle Class ships there is a separate dining room. No reservations accepted there.

~Nancy

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

You will select your dining preference when you book the cruise, either with your Travel Agent or HAL Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC).  Fixed early or late seating.  You can request a table for two or for more if you want to share.  You should get the same table and waiters each evening with fixed dining.  The other choice is As You Wish Dining where you just show up at the Main Dining Room when you want to eat.  You can request a table for two or agree to share a table each night.  I'm told it's possible to reserve some dining times when you have the As You Wish Dining but it wasn't working on my last cruise so don't know the current status.

From HAL website:

Frequently Asked Questions | Holland America

Cruise Ship Dining & Restaurants | Holland America Line

What ship will you be sailing on?  More specific info can be given as different ships have different venues available.

If you pay extra for Club Orange, on the Pinnacle Class ships there is a separate dining room. No reservations accepted there.

~Nancy

This is super helpful thank you!  My travel agent didn’t ask or inform me of any dining options so I will have to contact her. 

I am sailing on Eurodam. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alifay said:

This is super helpful thank you!  My travel agent didn’t ask or inform me of any dining options so I will have to contact her. 

If you look at your confirmation receipt, you will see a section near the top called "Cruise Details" Your dining selection is listed there. "Open Seating" is the As You Wish described above.

You can also go to the MDR after embarkation to locate the table to which you've been assigned.  If you don't like it, that's the best time to go to the maitre'd to ask for a change and to make any special requests such as "near an aft window".  But as others have said, your dining time and table size should be arranged in advance of the cruise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

If you look at your confirmation receipt, you will see a section near the top called "Cruise Details" Your dining selection is listed there. "Open Seating" is the As You Wish described above.

I don’t have a receipt from HAL, just the one from my TA. Is there somewhere in the app or website I can check?

My TA said she thinks my type of booking (interline) automatically defaults to open seating, but she’s going to try to waitlist me for fixed late dining. I’m sure it’ll be fine, and I’ll check on board to see if I can get fixed late. I don’t imagine it fills up. 

Interline is something vastly different than every other procedure. There are very few people on this site who know much about it---in some cases anything about it. We are not the group to be discussing this intelligently (although there are likely a few people who can). 
You will do better having your TA answer your questions. 

I do know this, though: late/fixed seating is rarely, if ever, fully booked. It is practically guaranteed there will be room for you to have that seating, if that is what you want. 
I would ask my TA to request it for me, if I were you. If your TA won't/can't do that, then see the Maître d' as soon as you board to be switched to it. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Interline is something vastly different than every other procedure. There are very few people on this site who know much about it---in some cases anything about it. We are not the group to be discussing this intelligently (although there are likely a few people who can). 
You will do better having your TA answer your questions. 

I do know this, though: late/fixed seating is rarely, if ever, fully booked. It is practically guaranteed there will be room for you to have that seating, if that is what you want. 
I would ask my TA to request it for me, if I were you. If your TA won't/can't do that, then see the Maître d' as soon as you board to be switched to it. 

Yes, I am learning the differences. Knowing what is “normal” and what is different about my booking really helps me navigate my needs/preferences 🙂. My TA said she would put in a request for late seating and I have no problem requesting it on board. Thanks for all the help! 

24 minutes ago, snowlight said:

I went on the HAL chat help and was able to have dining time and table size set for my cruise. Weirdly, I didn't come across the option for dining or bed size when I booked (direct).

Oh great I’ll try chat, thanks !