Excursions: how long to get to place of pick-up?

BobbiSox

2 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

Many times these middle-men can give you a much better price than by booking directly. They will buy tours in bulk and pass the savings on to cruisers. I don't care who gets my money. I just want the best deal. 

I've never seen that Viator or TripAdvisor. I was looking for a walking tour of Boston - found one that looked good $150pp on TA -found the provider and booked directly with them $97 - exactly the same tour -that's how much the commission is. Also booked  direct I can cancel up until 24 hours prior. And if they didn't show up I could do a charge back on my CC . I use TA to FIND the tours but book direct 

4 hours ago, lissie said:

I've never seen that Viator or TripAdvisor. I was looking for a walking tour of Boston - found one that looked good $150pp on TA -found the provider and booked directly with them $97 - exactly the same tour -that's how much the commission is. Also booked  direct I can cancel up until 24 hours prior. And if they didn't show up I could do a charge back on my CC . I use TA to FIND the tours but book direct 

Yes, that's part of my research, too. The travel agency I use works with a company that provides tours, similar to Viator or Tripadvisor, and that's another research tool for me. I have found the vendors by searching for the title of a tour and comparing descriptions. Each time, I found the tour was less expensive booking directly with the vendor. Not as large a gap as your example, but definitely less. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hobcat said:

Two good websites for information on ports Tom’s Port Guides & What’s in Port. Port Specific information on port location & transportation etc. 

Whats in port is a good way to find out how many (and which) other ships are in port with your ship.