Virgin matches RC's Loyalty Status

Surfguyxxx

Hello there.  So, I just booked my first Virgin cruise last night and it'll be on the Valiant Lady on 10/22/2023.  I'm currently a Pinnacle Member on RC and am trying to see what that really means when it transfers over.  It says I'll be "Sea Rover" automatically and I'll get "Deep Blue Extras" but I understand that the "deep blue" finished up in March 2023.  Does anyone have any experience with this so that I can better prepare for my upcoming cruise.  Thank you.

VV "matches" your status in the sense that you qualify as a Sea Rover.  They do NOT give you the same benefits as the program you matched, They give you the Sea Rover benefits package, which is called Deep Blue Extras.  It has been continued until 12/31/2023.

What you'll get....upon arrival at the terminal, go to the "Sailing Club" desk outside to get a bracelet which gives you priority boarding.  You will board after suite guests.  You can remove the bracelet after that.  On board, you will get a $100 bar tab free (no purchase needed).  $100 bonus on any bar tab you purchase (normal is $50 bonus).  A huge bag of laundry free, $10 per cabin per day credit in The Grounds Club, an invitation to a cocktail party, premium wifi for the duration of the cruise are included.  I may be forgetting some.  

Apply on line for the status match and the DBE should show up on your on line account within a week.  Just scroll down on the VV page till you see "loyalty." to apply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Yes, it does not seem to be really matching but better than nothing.  We are just Diamond and normally on RCI get basically unlimited access to the coffee machine in the Diamond lounge plus the 4 drink vouchers each (probably a $40/per person/day value).  Compared to the Virgin of $10 per cabin Grounds club and bar tab ($100/cabin) which its nice but not a "match".

Hope the entire experience "matches".

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Don’t get too hung up on comparing VV to other cruise lines. Personally I’ve never don’t any other cruise but VV feels more like a hotel resort to me than what I perceive a “cruise line” to be. 
In terms of status, other than the rockstars having Richards Rooftop there is no separate areas or any differences for those with Sailing Club status. Just the listed perks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Yes, it does not seem to be really matching but better than nothing.  We are just Diamond and normally on RCI get basically unlimited access to the coffee machine in the Diamond lounge plus the 4 drink vouchers each (probably a $40/per person/day value).  Compared to the Virgin of $10 per cabin Grounds club and bar tab ($100/cabin) which its nice but not a "match".

VV wasn't obligated to give us anything.  The fact that they are giving us goodies for the money we have spent sailing on other cruise lines is great!  Granted, they are going this to get people to sail with them and to hopefully become repeat sailors, but for now, I'm very happy with these benefits.  Virgin already includes a lot that other lines charge for--unlimited soda (cans or fountain,) brewed coffee or tea, regular internet, gratuities, fitness classes, etc.  They also offer a great rebooking on board deal.

I don't drink coffee and took a while to find a premium tea that I liked (I actually liked the normal stuff!). That's on me.  Since we normally do 2 week cruises, I love the free laundry. ($30) ..and the bag is triple the size of most lines!  My adult daughter loves the premium wifi. ($10 per day on top of the free wifi)   Again, something for each of us to enjoy.

We've all spent many thousands of dollars to accrue those loyalty benefits on other lines.  I'm delighted with what we are getting for having spent much less with VV.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Compared to the Virgin of $10 per cabin Grounds club and bar tab ($100/cabin) which its nice but not a "match".

Considering not every cruise line offers a matching program, I really appreciate that VV even offers anything. With Virgin it's $10 for the coffee per day and I was enjoying my 3 cups per day using that plan. It'd be nice if all the cruise lines matched others, but Royal doesn't offer anything for anyone other than matching their sister brand Celebrity. 

What you DO get with Virgin Voyages that you don't get with anyone else, other than the ultra high end lines, all meals, gratuities, soft drinks and wi-fi included. If Royal Caribbean ever started offering those items included with the cruise fares, then they would finally be 'matching' the basics of VV. 🙂 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

It says I'll be "Sea Rover" automatically

The best part of being a Sea Rover is the priority boarding to be honest. The $10 / day in coffee benefits was awesome for me, I was enjoying three cups a day using that. 🙂

• Like 2

You've all given me some great insight into V's world; thank you.  As a morning coffee drinker, very early I might add, are there early morning areas to get good coffee?  I usually get up around 5am every day and the only thing available was in the Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge to get coffee.  As I understand, these don't exist on Virgin so.....are their coffee shops open that early or is there a big urn of coffee that was brewed 2 hours ago like RC's Windjammer Cafe provides (which I know that V doesn't have)?  I'm rather underwhelmed with V's website and trying to get information there.

47 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

You've all given me some great insight into V's world; thank you.  As a morning coffee drinker, very early I might add, are there early morning areas to get good coffee?  I usually get up around 5am every day and the only thing available was in the Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge to get coffee.  As I understand, these don't exist on Virgin so.....are their coffee shops open that early or is there a big urn of coffee that was brewed 2 hours ago like RC's Windjammer Cafe provides (which I know that V doesn't have)?  I'm rather underwhelmed with V's website and trying to get information there.

Drip coffee is 24/7 in the Galley food court.

the Grounds Club locations serving barista made drinks open at 7am to 8pm or 9pm.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, softly darlene said:

The match is fabulous, but I see they are not going after the luxury lines.

Elsewhere on Crusie Critic, I read that Virgin isn't a luxury line. But it looks pretty lux to me!

Oh, it's modern luxury. Don't expect gold toilets and flash for the sake of going "Look we have money", but do expect to feel quality at every corner, from the food you eat to the entertainment. Think of it is as as boutique hotel at sea, where the service speaks for itself, and class is left on land. 

• Like 4

The beverage area of The Galley is open 24/7 for soda, juices from concentrate, brewed coffee and tea, as well as ice tea from concentrate.  The Grounds Club opens at 7am.  On our recent cruise, the closing time varied (or at least seemed to).  It was normally about 7, but one evening it was open until 9. Premium brews are available from Ship Eats (room service) after Grounds Club closes, but will not be taken off of your $10 per day credit; the credit applies only to beverages obtained at The Grounds Club.

Edited by cantgetin
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cantgetin said:

The beverage area of The Galley is open 24/7 for soda, juices from concentrate, brewed coffee and tea, as well as ice tea from concentrate.  The Grounds Club opens at 7am.  On our recent cruise, the closing time varied (or at least seemed to).  It was normally about 7, but one evening it was open until 9. Premium brews are available from Ship Eats (room service) after Grounds Club closes, but will not be taken off of your $10 per day credit; the credit applies only to beverages obtained at The Grounds Club.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Lustate said:

Oh, it's modern luxury. Don't expect gold toilets and flash for the sake of going "Look we have money", but do expect to feel quality at every corner, from the food you eat to the entertainment. Think of it is as as boutique hotel at sea, where the service speaks for itself, and class is left on land. 

I like the way you think....😂   Thanks.

• Like 1

Anyone have details about the included beverages besides the ones in "The Galley"?  At a bar, an you get juice/mixer?  A Virgin Mary?  Club soda?  Sparkling water?  What would the charge be?

Just getting my expectations set properly.  Thank you.

3 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Anyone have details about the included beverages besides the ones in "The Galley"?  At a bar, an you get juice/mixer?  A Virgin Mary?  Club soda?  Sparkling water?  What would the charge be?

You can definitely get virgin drinks at bars.  Test Kitchen offers a virgin tasting plan (along with cocktail, beer, and wine).  Ballpark, virgin drinks tended to be about $5 less than those with booze.  You can get sparkling water free, canned sodas free.  Don't know about club soda.  Juices from concentrate are free in The Galley.  Cold Pressed juices come with a cost.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

At a bar, an you get juice/mixer?  A Virgin Mary?  Club soda?  Sparkling water?  What would the charge be?

i think the virgin mary would be a charge (maybe $5-7?), as that's a premium mixer.  basically any mixers that are fountain or canned soda, or standard (i.e., not cold-pressed) juices are included.  off the top of my head, ginger beer and red bulls are extra charge mixers, as well as whatever the bars make you mocktail-wise with syrups/special items.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

anything you can get for free at the fountains from the Galley is also free at all bars and restaurants.

• Like 2

Sailor Services acts on the status match application very quickly in my experience - less than 3 hours yesterday. The confirmation email goes to some lengths to point out that DBE only applies during 2023, and the $100 bar tab bonus is "through 2024" - leaving rather open what the longer term benefits of Sea Rover will be.

Kevin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2023 at 2:46 PM, happy cruzer said:

Club Soda/Sparkling Water are free anywhere it is served.  They'll deliver it to your room any time you want for free as well (refillable pitcher).  The Galley has sparkling water out of the soda machine.  I often asked for it at bars (with lemon and lime) with no problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glitterati said:

Damn, I'm Elite on Celebrity but don't sail the VV until Jan 24! Just missed out!!!!

They've extended the program at least twice already....keep saying that they'll be starting their own program.  They actually had a bit of their own program happening in Oct. 22.  But don't give up on the status match--at this point, it is happening until they decide that it isn't any more.

• Like 1

Cross your fingers but I expect they will extend it. Probably giving themselves time to make changes in the program at that time. In fact, I recently recieved an email survey from them asking what amenities would make the program better.  That's a good hopeful sign they plan to extend it.

2 minutes ago, Gretchendz said:

Cross your fingers but I expect they will extend it. Probably giving themselves time to make changes in the program at that time. In fact, I recently recieved an email survey from them asking what amenities would make the program better.  That's a good hopeful sign they plan to extend it.

There is no question that they will have a loyalty program.  The only question is whether it will continue to include the status match.  They keep insisting that they'll have the best loyalty program on the seas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cantgetin said:

They've extended the program at least twice already....keep saying that they'll be starting their own program.  They actually had a bit of their own program happening in Oct. 22.  But don't give up on the status match--at this point, it is happening until they decide that it isn't any more.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed. 

The priority embarkation, coffee credit and Wi-Fi upgrade alone is perfect. Don’t need a fancy breakfast, drinks gathering or pin badge. Just give me things I’ll actually use! It’s fantastic.