Travel from Amsterdam to Oslo - Are there any ferries (for people)?

I'll be arriving in Amsterdam next May by cruise ship then will go to Norway for a Havila coastal ferry trip.  Rather than flying, I thought a ferry might be fun!  I looked into the train route, but it requires quite a few changes of trains, which might be problematic for me as far as walking a lot and managing luggage.  

Any ideas from folks who have travelled between the two countries?  @hallasm?

Thanks,

~Nancy

By train, it will require quite a few changes. The obvious answer is flights from Amsterdam to Bergen.
An alternative could be a flight (perhaps train) to Copenhagen - DFDS ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo and from their train to Bergen - but that will also require some changes.
Also the option mentioned above - from Kristiansand to Bergen by train via Stavanger.

How much time do you have?

• Thanks 1

Definitely depends on your idea of fun. If you're 

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

I looked into the train route, but it requires quite a few changes of trains, which might be problematic for me as far as walking a lot and managing luggage.

Getting to and from a ferry will also involve managing luggage through multiple connections, though it probably won't take as many days as the train.

13 hours ago, oakridger said:

Any ideas from folks who have travelled between the two countries?

As Amsterdam is a major airport, it's one of the easiest places to fly to, so that's pretty much the modus operandi. There are multiple direct flights between AMS and OSL on at least three different airlines.

I would just hop a direct flight and spend that time exploring at one end or the other. If you're looking for other interesting transit options, you could take the train from Oslo to Bergen to see some of the interior of the country, and then fly or take an overnight train back. You could also just do a roundtrip ferry trip to Kiel or Copenhagen, since there are often good rates on the roundtrip as a "mini cruise" (especially during the week).

• Thanks 1

@kaisatsu  @cruiseaholic78 and @hallasm  Ha ha on "Definitely depends on your idea of fun."!!  Good point!  I did check around and you are quite right about no other really direct options other than flying!  I think I'll just fly to Oslo from Amsterdam and concentrate on Norway. 

I do plan on taking the train from Oslo to Bergen then getting on the Havila Castor for the coastal trip to Kirkenes and return.  I was in Norway once in 2005 when I went on the same route on Hurtigruten.  It was so great that I always have wanted to return for a more in-depth visit.  The new coastal route ships from Havila look wonderful and are actually considerably less expensive than Hurtigruten is currently charging....especially as a solo.  I hope Havila gets their other two ships sailing soon after all the problems with the Russia sanctions and financing, etc.  I also plan on taking a ferry from Bergen to Balestrand or Flam for a couple day visit there.  

I have lots of time to spend in Norway so am glued to the Cruise Critic forums as well as internet research and YouTube videos.

Thank you to all the Norway and Scandinavia locals who give so much of their time and knowledge to help us travelers find the best options!

~Nancy

• Thanks 1