LIVE! Venezia Maiden Voyage 5/29 - Let’s Cruise!

1 hour ago, luvcruzing said:

Thank you for the live review.  I was following you when you broke your ankle.  Glad that you healed nicely, especially since I’ve heard that often is not the case with that injury. Now get some rest, get rid of that cruise crud, and feel better soon.

You are very welcome!

DH and I were talking about the ankle this trip—we feel blessed that it healed up so well.  First part of the trip we were easily doing 14,000-16,000 steps a day, and I couldn’t tell the ankle had ever been injured!  I was lucky the surgeon in Colombia was so good, and then diligent about exercising//physical therapy which helped. 

I’m off to bed; feeling better than earlier today already!

• Like 9

We are in the Marco Polo dining room awaiting our departure.

Said our goodbyes to Zora and Alit (our WONDERFUL cabin steward). Had our final macchiatos and warm croissants.

I am feeling MUCH better.  No congestion, coughing or other visible symptoms.  Have I dodged the bullet thanks to totally resting the final 24 hours of cruise?  That said, a TON of coughing here from others while we are waiting to be called. 

I did not wake up to see the skyline on the way in —decided sleeping was smarter!

• Like 9

Once  you are settled back at home can you post your experience with debarkation at the NY port (transportation). What I have read is that the Carnival shuttle service is very unreliable and can even be cancelled.  Others have reported walking blocks away from the port just to catch Uber / Lyft.  

We are sailing in September (first time in NY ) and trying to piece together the plans for travel back home.  Thanks!

Edited by HappySails4U
wording

3 hours ago, HappySails4U said:

Once  you are settled back at home can you post your experience with debarkation at the NY port (transportation). What I have read is that the Carnival shuttle service is very unreliable and can even be cancelled.  Others have reported walking blocks away from the port just to catch Uber / Lyft.  

We are sailing in September (first time in NY ) and trying to piece together the plans for travel back home.  Thanks!

Debarkation was a breeze.  We were Group 3, so no big lines (I can’t speak to if the lines would be longer later in the process). Virtually no line for passport control, and no customs line. We were off the ship by 8:20, and on the street by 8:40! 

We opted for a taxi when we came out and saw the large scrum of people waiting for Ubers and Lyfts. You get both across the street from the Terminal.   I could see where walking a few blocks away or Uber would have helpped.

We were offered a shared taxi by a Gypsy to LGA for $100. Never take a gypsy cab in NY: often not insured and usually not a bargain.  And no thanks in this situation; both uber and taxi price is usually between $60 to $70.

Taxi line really isn’t organized at all except for a sign that says TAXI.  Took 30 minutes to get a taxi. Wife of one of the men in line checked the Uber side and that was about what their wait was also.  Taxi was $67, not including tip. We got a large one with tons of luggage space.  

Traffic, so we got to the airport about 9:50.  Not bad at all!

As to the shuttle, it was sold out on this sailing, so if you want it be sure to book early. One of the shuttles caught its bumper on the curb this morning and I think they had everyone get off (and then get back on) so they could un-stick it.

I could see both the taxi and uber waits being much longer if you got off the ship later.

One odd disembarkation thing—Carnival ran out of tags for luggage, so a few people ended up stuck with non-assisted luggage which they did not want. 

Hope that helped! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phoneman69 said:

Thank you again for all your videos and post. Really Enjoyed your lessons. Last question what was the platinum gift if you know ? Can wait to see for myself as we arrive in 6 days.

I do not know, but I will find out for you!

Our plane shows on time! Imagine our disappointment after the gleaming experience of the new Delta terminal to end up in gates 60-69 for departure, which is in the non-renovated part of the Terminal.

Still can’t hold a candle to Atlanta for shops//restaurants etc; not a ton of concessions, even in the renovated part.  I had desperately wanted a breakfast sandwich and couldn’t achieve that…breakfast was over at 10:30 at both concessions we checked, and we asked at 10:35.

Loved the drop off//TSA portion of the terminal. Except for those new round luggage security scanners. Ours broke down and it took forever for them to divert our carry ons to another one.

AD63B402-204E-45F7-9B38-BA769C396ADB.jpeg

9F6CCD07-DD29-4328-BC32-E65ED48F22C0.jpeg

304E19BF-8E33-4910-A7E6-C352434A6301.jpeg

A99B176C-8A44-45F0-8FF8-84C96B026D2B.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 1

Thanks again for allowing us to tag along and ask you to play detective! Your pictures are great and your narrative enjoyably educational  🙃

Glad you're feeling better - may that continue to be the case. Safe travels!

We're in an aft wrap B2B Sept, so this will be helpful. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Never take a gypsy cab in NY: often not insured and usually not a bargain.  

Thank so much for sharing this information  !!   In regard to the gypsy cab how do we ID one of these ?     Do you have to ask to see permits, etc ??  

TravelBluebird-I love all of your postings!!! Thanks for keeping me so entertained and feeling like I am cruising with you!! We are boarding Venezia on Monday and we feel like we know exactly where everything is! Thanks for the thorough postings! By the way, do we still get bathrobes and slippers in the cabins?

1 hour ago, HappySails4U said:

Thank so much for sharing this information  !!   In regard to the gypsy cab how do we ID one of these ?     Do you have to ask to see permits, etc ??  

These are the guys that come up to you while you are coming out of the terminal and offer you a ride for a fixed price. They do not drive a yellow taxi, and they are not Uber or Lyft which you have to arrange via the app.  So, for me, its only a licensed yellow (in NY) cab OR Uber or Lyft I arrange on the app.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mar214 said:

TravelBluebird-I love all of your postings!!! Thanks for keeping me so entertained and feeling like I am cruising with you!! We are boarding Venezia on Monday and we feel like we know exactly where everything is! Thanks for the thorough postings! By the way, do we still get bathrobes and slippers in the cabins?

You are so welcome; I can’t wait to hear how your trip is as well!!

I have one last walking tour to put online; that is everything above Lido (except Serenty); I should have that one up sometime tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

Terrazza rooms have robes with logos but no slippers…I don’t know about the rest of the rooms; will try to find out!

• Like 2

I have a trip to Seattle for work in early August, then visiting my daughter in Japan the rest of that month.

Although not cruises I’ll cover the travel on my YT channel—not sure I can “fit” any of that under Cruise Critic categories!

My next booked cruise is Royal Caribbean’s Wonder of the Seas first week of October. We are looking to pick up a last minute (hopefully well priced!) Carnival cruise in the interim, then Carnival Jubilee first week of March! 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Cherries Jubilee said:

I’m so thankful for your review and your Youtube videos. I’m scheduled to go on Venezia in October and February and you have really made me excited for it!

Thank you for letting me know! She’s a beautiful ship; a great addition to the Carnival fleet!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mar214 said:

See you onboard as we also board on Monday the 19th.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 1:32 PM, TravelBluebird said:

Debarkation was a breeze.  We were Group 3, so no big lines (I can’t speak to if the lines would be longer later in the process). Virtually no line for passport control, and no customs line. We were off the ship by 8:20, and on the street by 8:40! 

We opted for a taxi when we came out and saw the large scrum of people waiting for Ubers and Lyfts. You get both across the street from the Terminal.   I could see where walking a few blocks away or Uber would have helpped.

We were offered a shared taxi by a Gypsy to LGA for $100. Never take a gypsy cab in NY: often not insured and usually not a bargain.  And no thanks in this situation; both uber and taxi price is usually between $60 to $70.

Taxi line really isn’t organized at all except for a sign that says TAXI.  Took 30 minutes to get a taxi. Wife of one of the men in line checked the Uber side and that was about what their wait was also.  Taxi was $67, not including tip. We got a large one with tons of luggage space.  

Traffic, so we got to the airport about 9:50.  Not bad at all!

As to the shuttle, it was sold out on this sailing, so if you want it be sure to book early. One of the shuttles caught its bumper on the curb this morning and I think they had everyone get off (and then get back on) so they could un-stick it.

I could see both the taxi and uber waits being much longer if you got off the ship later.

One odd disembarkation thing—Carnival ran out of tags for luggage, so a few people ended up stuck with non-assisted luggage which they did not want. 

Hope that helped! 

I was on the Venezia TA and met her and her husband briefly.  You could not tell there was any ankle trouble as they were dancing like they were in their 20's.  My debarkation experience was about a half hour later and the same as TravelBlueBird's.  You just kept moving the whole time.  The terminal exit dumps you at 48th Street and there are a few good "slightly-above-budget" hotels within one block of the terminal exit right on 48th Street, which is just a few blocks to Broadway and 7th Avenue.  I tacked on two days in Manhattan after the cruise and am so happy I did (I love NYC).

• Like 8

21 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I was on the Venezia TA and met her and her husband briefly.  You could not tell there was any ankle trouble as they were dancing like they were in their 20's.  My debarkation experience was about a half hour later and the same as TravelBlueBird's.  You just kept moving the whole time.  The terminal exit dumps you at 48th Street and there are a few good "slightly-above-budget" hotels within one block of the terminal exit right on 48th Street, which is just a few blocks to Broadway and 7th Avenue.  I tacked on two days in Manhattan after the cruise and am so happy I did (I love NYC).

Aww thanks!  We do like to dance on our cruises.  

I’ve mentioned here that I think my level of fitness and continued dedication to walking//dancing//walking out helped me heal up very well!

It’s so true the way the terminal dumps you at 48th Street. Might be a little overwhelming for someone who had never been to New York before!

We didn’t stay in New York this trip since we have family there and take trips for Broadway shows semi frequently. Hope you enjoyed your 2 days in Manhattan!

• Like 3

So the minor cold I brought back with me from the Carnival Venezia lingered into laryngitis that just wouldn’t go away.

Finally got my voice back, so I could complete my Carnival Venezia Walking Tour series. This is the final video in that series, and it includes Decks 11 and above—the surprising nooks and crannies on 11, the walking track, the spalsh zone, sun loungers, and all the fun ship ad-ons like the rope course and the arcade too.

Over the next few weeks I have lots more to come; back to my “day job” so probably back to 1 video or so a week since I do like to fully edit them.  This LIVE! has been such a blast; I love sharing my trips with everyone here in the Cruise Critic Community. My next LIVE! Will be on RC’s Wonder of the Seas in October, with trips to Seattle and Japan in the interim. Hoping to also take the Spirit from Mobile in the Fall but I haven’t booked her yet,

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2