Formal nights dress code - does HAL enforce?

On 3/19/2024 at 4:41 PM, rothbury said:

It was just around the ship on a dressy night.

That attire is fine around the ship- even on a dressy night. The only restrictions are in the MDR or Pinnacle Grill. People can wear shorts, etc. in the Lido or any of the bars/lounges on dressy night. It is not a ship wide requirement.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sandiego1 said:

That attire is fine around the ship- even on a dressy night. The only restrictions are in the MDR or Pinnacle Grill. People can wear shorts, etc. in the Lido or any of the bars/lounges on dressy night. It is not a ship wide requirement.

Cunard and Viking (maybe others) maintain the dining room dress code throughout the ship in the evening except in their Lido equivalent. 

As an aside, Viking Ocean doesn't have gala or dressy nights, but they call every evening  "elegant casual".  When you see Viking's definition of 'elegant casual," - it's the same as HAL's gala/dressy night...So, every night on Viking Ocean is equivalent to a dressy night on HAL. Plus, the Viking dress code is everywhere after 6 PM except for their equivalent of the Lido.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

They do enforce it at our table. Granted, it's only ever people with whom we're traveling. But if you fail to deliver the sartorial splendor, you can expect stink eye, taunting and other things, like the "cruelty of the day."

Also, our minimum expectations are higher than the published dress code.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Cunard and Viking (maybe others) maintain the dining room dress code throughout the ship in the evening except in their Lido equivalent. 

As an aside, Viking Ocean doesn't have gala or dressy nights, but they call every evening  "elegant casual".  When you see Viking's definition of 'elegant casual," - it's the same as HAL's gala/dressy night...So, every night on Viking Ocean is equivalent to a dressy night on HAL. Plus, the Viking dress code is everywhere after 6 PM except for their equivalent of the Lido.   

In answer to your other post, if I was asked to define "reasonable decorum" for men I would say  a collared shirt and slacks (and certainly no hat!).

Interesting... I never would have considred Cunard (I really still don't). But....I looked up Viking @Sea and Cunard dress codes after your post and am surprised but pleased to see they indeed have seen the way of changing norms and traveller desires. But hey, again, if someone wants to dress to the nines, go for it. (Just don't load up the carry-on bins on my plane as you don't want to pay for extra checked luggage. 🙂).

Here's what Cunard says now (though I believe they should have added pants and blouse for womewn, not just a skirt option!): https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/what-to-pack

Anyway, I'm done with posting in this thread.  Folks have their various viewpoints and that's fine. I only would care if the cruiseline put on  a must-do level I was uncomfortable with.

Edited by skandsea99
  • Like 1