Formal nights dress code - does HAL enforce?

We are going to a 7-day cruise on Zaandam in June (from Boston to Montreal) and wondering if they enforce the formal night dress code in main dining room.  We have no interest in having to pack dress shoes and suits for men if we can avoid it, it's a major nuisance and wastes precious luggage space.  We like the main dining room dinners though and don't want to have to eat at the buffet because we don't pass the dress code.  Is the dress code still a thing? Does Holland America enforce it?  Thank you!

There are no more formal nights except on longer Grand Voyages.  Now the fanciest is "dressy", which would occur twice per week.  Dressy for men means slacks and a shirt with a collar - that's the minimum.  There's no need to pack suits or tuxedos unless that's what you want to wear.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

A few basic rules for evening no shorts, no flip flops, no torn jeans.  Pretty much all else is ok. I used to say men needed a colored shirt but I am not so sure that is enforced anymore, a collared polo is just fine by standards 

• Like 2

I saw no major infractions of the former dress codes during the last two weeks, but not surprised because with this cruise and especially this time of the year people are not coming from day long visits to any beach and then less likely to dress up for the evening. Sometimes right now the MDR people are having trouble just seating people without long waits so they certainly don't have time to check out what anyone is wearing.

• Haha 1

There is no "enforcement". Clean & neat "resort casual" seems to fit the bill all of the time.

We no longer pack "dressy" clothes.  We don't enjoy dressing up & we don't want portraits.

We usually eat in the Lido--often the same food from the MDR served buffet style--and go to the show.

I'm over having other people care what I'm wearing.  I want to be comfortable when I'm on vacation.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, goforyourdreams said:

We are going to a 7-day cruise on Zaandam in June (from Boston to Montreal) and wondering if they enforce the formal night dress code in main dining room.  We have no interest in having to pack dress shoes and suits for men if we can avoid it, it's a major nuisance and wastes precious luggage space.  We like the main dining room dinners though and don't want to have to eat at the buffet because we don't pass the dress code.  Is the dress code still a thing? Does Holland America enforce it?  Thank you!

NCL runs many dress as you like cruises out of Boston. Suggest if you do not wish to be part of the HAL experience that you book with NCL. You can do an entire 12 days on NCL out of a gym bag.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Not at all true......

It really depends.  We did a back to back (Collector's Cruise) a few years ago. One week skewed heavily toward a European clientele and was very dressy. The other week had a different crowd and was less so. As long as you can muster up business casual or better, you should be fine.

30 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

NCL runs many dress as you like cruises out of Boston. Suggest if you do not wish to be part of the HAL experience that you book with NCL. You can do an entire 12 days on NCL out of a gym bag.

A little bit harsh on your NCCL opinion.

I did HAL to Alaska last August, and Mexico on NCCL in February. On BOTH Cruise lines,  I saw the entire gambit of dress. Extreme casual to cocktail dress. No  one cared on either cruise what the rest were wearing. 
The difference is NCCL has a younger clientele, so can be more casual than those of my age who grew up with different norms and tend to dress more conservatively.
Certainly no matter what age, some will dress for comfort and some will dress up to make their vacation feel special.

As stated on many many posts,  wear what you want and are comfortable wearing when in public!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

I saw no major infractions of the former dress codes during the last two weeks, but not surprised because with this cruise and especially this time of the year people are not coming from day long visits to any beach and then less likely to dress up for the evening. Sometimes right now the MDR people are having trouble just seating people without long waits so they certainly don't have time to check out what anyone is wearing.

Yes, that would take all of one second 🙄.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, POA1 said:

It really depends.  We did a back to back (Collector's Cruise) a few years ago. One week skewed heavily toward a European clientele and was very dressy. The other week had a different crowd and was less so. As long as you can muster up business casual or better, you should be fine.

It is much more casual now than a few years ago

• Like 3

As many have said there is no longer a formal night on HAL cruises. There will be one or two dressier nights where you can wear your more formal clothes if that is your thing. When I retired all of my formal clothes, suites and sport Jackets were gone. I will now wear basically the same thing every night in the MDR, long pants, like blue, grey or beige chinos, a nice, collared golf type shirt or a button up short sleeve shirt or one of my Tommy Bahama Hawaiian button up shirts. This meets all HAL dress codes for any evening in the MDR, 100% and do not let others here tell you different because they still want to cruise in the more formal 1990's. BTW we split our cruises between HAL and Celebrity and they both have almost identical dressing suggested codes.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 8

14 minutes ago, ShipWalker said:

"Always dress up. Never dress down. You will never be disappointed."

I used to bring long dresses on cruises.  I got tired of the sweat pants/yoga pants gang so I decided it was time for me to be less dressy.  I still dress up a little more on those nights but not like I used to.  The menus have not inspired me to do that either.  I feel like a lot of the other nights have better food.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

Gala nights are intended to be enjoyed by those who wants to go beyond the ordinary every day cruise attire, and enjoy an evening that takes on special sparkle by those who also enjoy making this a special event night. Plus makes a very nice onboard photo opportunity.  It is not a forced march for anyone who do not chose to take it up a notch.

The ships have been responsive to changing tastes over the past decade or so, when it was "enforced",  and indeed was a very glamours evening with long gowns and black tie. A throw back to the more format days of sea travel.

Ever watch the evening dining scenes from the Love Boat? Some like to celebrate those old traditions; but today they are meaningless to many others.

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 9.36.03 AM.png

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Gala nights are intended to be enjoyed by those who wants to go beyond the ordinary every day cruise attire...The ships have been responsive to changing tastes over the past decade or so...

HAL no longer has "Gala" nights, instead attire is "Dressy" or "Casual" plus one night designated for The Orange Party (7-day itinerary).

While not referred to as "Gala," one really can wear (with some exceptions for beach wear, shorts, etc.) whatever makes them comfortable and allows them to have their best experience. 

You do you - there's room for everyone! 20230505_211821.thumb.jpg.d09052e6ca3738591f4475f3b5d3f941.jpgAnd I agree that cruiselines have been responsive to change - I think publishing programs with "dressy" instead of "gala" while still providing an environment appropriate for more formal photography sessions is a great example. 

I love that HAL welcomes us all. 🤗

20230505_211553.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...

On Grand Voyage Formal Nights do any men wear just a coat the tie and not a dark suit or better? My husband claims he will have to take another suitcase to pack his dark suit for 2 nights.

14 minutes ago, islander47 said:

On Grand Voyage Formal Nights do any men wear just a coat the tie and not a dark suit or better? My husband claims he will have to take another suitcase to pack his dark suit for 2 nights.

Some may. Some may not.  Your husband can do as he pleases. 

• Like 1

I did the Grand Africa a few months ago and didn't notice much different from any other cruise - some chose to get dolled up, others didn't.  I took a suit but could have easily worn just a dress shirt and tie.