Italy, Croatia, and Montenegro - excursions??

Bbmerzel

We stopped at Portofino on our cruise in July and did one of the Celebrity Cinque Terre tours. We often do private tours as well but for this we were glad to have done the Celebrity tour. This is a tender port so we were first off. The guide was excellent and we were able to visit not only Portofino but Santa Margarita, Vernazza and Monterosso. There were significant transportation logistics so we were happy to have that arranged.

Edited by cruisinsusin
Spelling

On 6/1/2023 at 1:13 PM, Pantheral said:

In Naples we hired a private limo that took us to both Positano and Sorrento in the morning including an incredible pizza lunch in Sorrento, and then Pompei in the afternoon. At Pompei our tour guide hired a private guide and she showed us around 20 different building/sites in the ruins. Those who took the ship's tours only toured the main market and a few other larger buildings, we saw homes, restaurants, brothels, etc. 

@Pantheral, do you remember the company you used for your private limo tour in Naples?  I’m booked with a ship excursion and I’ve read some negative reviews that they spend too much time visiting touristy shops.  I’d like to cancel the ship excursion and get 6 other people  from our sailing to join us on  a private excursion like you’ve described.    I found this tour through Trip Advisor  and it mentions "The only Tour Among all of the Operators of Naples that Allows your Group to Visit Positano's Downtown”.   The tour provider is Thebayofnaples.  

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g187785-d25077156-Private_Tour_to_Pompei_Sorrento_and_Positano_with_English_speaking_Driver_Guide-Na.html

Edited by taylortime05

11 hours ago, Bbmerzel said:

I went on this cruise in July. I would 100% NOT recommend the Cinque Terre excursion or the Capri excursions through Celebrity.

Can you give more details on the Cinque Terre excursion? What were your issues with it? TIA

On 9/23/2023 at 10:30 AM, taylortime05 said:

I'm booked on this tour for next month with small group vs. Celebrity Priority Access.  Did you enjoy the itinerary?  I read a review on cruise critic that they didn’t recommend the tour because they only had 2 hours at Sorrento and 2 hours at Pompeii and they spent too much time visiting touristy shops.   

We enjoyed it. The shopping time at Pompeii was a little long for us but we were also there during one of the heat waves and so after the tour we were pretty ready to. I guess it depends what you are looking for in Sorrento. We would preferred a little less time there but we also weren’t really shopping, just wandering around.

On 9/23/2023 at 8:47 PM, taylortime05 said:

@Pantheral, do you remember the company you used for your private limo tour in Naples?  I’m booked with a ship excursion and I’ve read some negative reviews that they spend too much time visiting touristy shops.  I’d like to cancel the ship excursion and get 6 other people  from our sailing to join us on  a private excursion like you’ve described.    I found this tour through Trip Advisor  and it mentions "The only Tour Among all of the Operators of Naples that Allows your Group to Visit Positano's Downtown”.   The tour provider is Thebayofnaples.  

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g187785-d25077156-Private_Tour_to_Pompei_Sorrento_and_Positano_with_English_speaking_Driver_Guide-Na.html

Sorry, I don't remember the exact tour. It was in 2015 and did much of my communications through my work e-mail and I retired in 2021. I did find one reference to seeamalficoast.com, but I am not sure that's who I ended up choosing and that website no longer seems active.

The tour you referenced does match quite closely to the one we took and the cost is relatively the same, except in reverse order (Positano first). I'd even say the tour director/driver in many of the pictures looks familiar, but that could be my faulty memory.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.  

On 9/23/2023 at 12:09 PM, Bbmerzel said:

I went on this cruise in July. I would 100% NOT recommend the Cinque Terre excursion or the Capri excursions through Celebrity.

On 9/23/2023 at 11:53 PM, bons said:

Can you give more details on the Cinque Terre excursion? What were your issues with it? TIA

We booked the Cinque Terre tour through Celebrity.  They had a guide that stayed with us the entire tour.  She took us to a couple of places we had not been on prior trips.  We would highly recommend the tour with Celebrity.  🙂

I also agree that Taormina (use ship "excursion" for transportation there ) is well worth a visit.  Same with Pompeii (we had private guide and driver through Stefano Rome Cabs and they are fantastic-have used them many times) Also went to Sorrento same day.  We did Positano, Sorrento and Pompeii first time but you don't get much time in Positano because its such a long drive.  

Don't miss sail in and out to Kotor.  It is absolutely gorgeous and worth being up early for.  Lovely town to explore on your own too.  

On 9/23/2023 at 8:47 PM, taylortime05 said:

We booked a shared tour of Amalfi including Positano in Nov 2016.  Ended up being private, as we were the only ones booked that day.  Excellent guide, and trip was completely customized for what we wanted and how long we wanted to be in each place.  Very nice Mercedes van.  Company still sends us holiday greetings, and it looks like they do shore excursions.

+39 3331908044 (facetime-whatzapp-telegram)
Trip Advisor (Amalfi Coast Day Tours Naples)
www.instagram.com/amalficoastdaytours/
www.facebook.com/tourofamalficoast (Hit Like our page)
  • Like 1