Options for Walking on a Glacier

Sea-n-Ease

We are stopping in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan in June.  What are the excursion options at any of those ports for transportation to a glacier we can actually walk on.  Prefer a bus ride vs helicopter if bus is even an option. 

Edited by Sea-n-Ease
Additional question.

If is June 2023, at this point should try to book anything as they might be full already. Coastal in Juneau, Temsco in Skagway or from ship. We have done both as well as Matanuska and all were very pricy and spectacular. Also canceled due to weather often.  With receding glaciers might be harder to do in future.  Extra days leads to expensive hotels & car. Check youtube for videos of all three. Skip the ad ones and do the RVers (like A Plus K) and Cruisers. We went ICE CLIMBING on the Matanuska Glacier in ALASKA! - YouTube We didn't climb but just walked with cramp ons, helmets and poles. sightcrr. 

Edited by SightCRR

The helicopter ride and walk on Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau is an awesome experience.  Being on ice that is covered by a thin sheet of flowing water and taking care to not stab yourself with the very sharp crampons makes walking a lot more deliberate than strolling down the street.  Some of the crevasses are hundreds of feet deep.

I highly recommend this Holland America excursion.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070057-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070071-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070049-Edit.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/mendenhall-glacier-walk/P7070056-Edit.jpg

• Like 2

Maybe watch some youtube videos to make sure you understand what the helo is like and that you aren't afraid of something that is not part of the ride. I understand that many people don't want to fly in helo for all kinds of reasons. 

On 5/30/2023 at 5:03 PM, Sea-n-Ease said:

Thanks all!  Was really hoping to avoid a helicopter ride (a huge phobia).  Our ship only stops in Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.  It is not this year.  Looks like nothing I can do via bus. 🙁

If you do have a phobia of it I definitely would not recommend it. They have to balance the weight in the helicopter so you would not even necessarily get a more inside seat. In our case it was 4 people in the back, heaviest in the middle, 2 passengers plus pilot in the front, smallest by the door.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2023 at 7:13 PM, woostercruise said:

If you do have a phobia of it I definitely would not recommend it. They have to balance the weight in the helicopter so you would not even necessarily get a more inside seat. In our case it was 4 people in the back, heaviest in the middle, 2 passengers plus pilot in the front, smallest by the door.

Thanks woostercruise.  It’s not the seat location that scares me, it’s [gulp]… crashing. 

I may find the courage though, as I’m reading more and more of what an awesome experience it is.  This is likely our only trip to Alaska.  Go big or stay home, right?!

• Like 1

You can read the faa reports on the companies if that will make you feel better. Likely to be safer than driving to cruise ship but that may not help. Often canceled due not be able to fly in current conditions. Just about everyone who gets to fly will have photos very similar to Crew News's above. 

Edited by SightCRR

While there are 3hr helo excursion for glacier hiking in Seward there are also 8hr ice hiking and climbing excursions at Exit Glacier in Seward. They are difficult and you need to be in fairly decent shape. They essentially start on the Harding ice field trail and then take a turn on a different trail around Marmott Valley that takes you to exit glacier at which point you out on crampons and have to climb up ice before trekking on exit glacier. 

Seems the OP is on a round trip cruise so their only options are helo based. If they can afford it they should do it if it’s their only trip. The helo ride is the safest part of these trips.  A lot of people start out it being their only trip but then decide to go back again and again.

Edited by wreckem2013

Anytime that I go walking on a glacier I put an airline bottle of my favorite alcholic beverage in my pocket with a small cup.    When I find some clean glcier ice I then mix myself a dribk with the glacier ice and celebrate the occasion.   There is nothing better than scotch and glcier ice!