Carnival Panorama

ASR1996

14 hours ago, cruisinfamily7609 said:

We’ve flown in and out the day of cruising and returning for as long as we’ve cruised. I think we’ve had one cruise where we actually flew in a day early and left a day late and my husband was not the least bit thrilled about doing so (or spending the money to do so), and we haven’t done it since. This time, since we’ve moved out of the LA area, we are driving down the night before our cruise and staying overnight. 

Here’s the thing: everyone is different. Would *I* like to come down early and stay at a nice hotel? Sure. Anything to extend vacation is a-ok with me! My husband though, sees it VERY differently. He doesn’t like missing work, vacation is sort of a “forced” thing for him, and he certainly isn’t going to take off more time just to get somewhere early and stay in a hotel overnight, particularly because doing so costs extra. Even if we have the budget to do so (we do), he isn’t one to spend on things like family vacations. Cruising isn’t a past-time for us, it is a treat! We did a lot of red-eye flights to get to the east coast early and onto a ship. I realize many of you may think that’s nuts. I’d agree. But, when it’s the only choice you have between cruising and not cruising (and certainly not multiple times in a year)...you do what you can. 

So many people who post here on Cruise Critic are just incredibly privileged individuals and don’t even see it; which is just...well...it’s actually pretty embarrassing to see the lack of self awareness. Even back when Cruise Critic was just a forum board on AOL, people acted as though it was perfectly normal to have thirty cruises in the bag, with another twenty or in planning. It is as though no one realizes that most people don’t take ten cruises a year or something. HELLOOOOO....The rest of the country, much less the whole world, is not necessarily wealthy.

Not everybody can even cruise once, much less cruise in a suite, or be platinum/diamond/etc members on any line, or even cruise more than once every few years. It doesn’t make them heathens, or even people you might not want to know. It makes them the majority, to be brutally honest. If you have the type of lifestyle that affords you such things, take more time to count yourself lucky, and less time to judge everyone else for what they aren’t able. Asking questions about why someone wouldn’t go early and stay over is like asking why someone wouldn’t sail in a balcony cabin every single time they cruise. Not everyone has the same opportunity or budget. I don’t fault those who can, but I feel like I have to sometimes beg forgiveness because we couldn’t, and still don’t. I feel lucky to just be able to get on a ship again, regardless of whether I am flying in last minute or - as the case will be this time - driving in the night before. Maybe that’s just me.

YEESSSSS!!!!! Agree!!!  To all of it!!!

Also, to the Canadians coming into LAX....Long Beach hotels are all more expensive...but try calling Hotel Maya directly and asking if they have a special or a Carnival discount. I have stayed there twice, both times I got a discount, but once was a much deeper discount, so I think it fluctuates depending on time of year and events in the area. However, if they offer a discount in your budget, it is the EASIEST way to get to and from the port and they are so helpful. But overall, you will find better rates closer to LAX on hotels specifically.

• Like 2

So my genuine question for you @cruisinfamily7609 is if you have ever come close to missing the ship? In our case we would typically fly after work on Friday night (for a Saturday departure) arriving late in the evening staying at a budget hotel for the night.  The only purpose was those 'insurance' hours overnight. (Folks who have the ability to drive have a huge advantage.)  Now the flight was always from Chicago or Milwaukee so a 7pm departure was completely workable and never cost us an extra vaca day. And in all our years cruising we've only had problems twice. But neither really put us at risk of missing the cruise.

On 5/30/2023 at 10:41 PM, jsglow said:

The Cabo first/Cabo last topic has been discussed before. I'm honestly not sure what I like better.  Certainly leaving Cabo in the mid afternoon is a bit of a pain but it's necessary to make it back to Long Beach w/ one sea day. The only problem with doing it at the beginning and using two sea days from PV is that the nice protected sailing waters below the Sea of Cortez are 'wasted' in the overnight hours. Two days spent bashing north up the Baja. Obviously God didn't space these ports well enough! 😳

Wait!  What??  More info needed please!  We have been looking at Panorama as we had it scheduled WAAY back in May 2020 which obviously didn't happen and we've stuck to the usual East Coast since the restart.  We had chosen the 8 day in June next year but haven't paid the deposit yet.  We chose it for the times.  Cabo first, 10 to 7, the Mazatlan and LaPaz regular hours and PV last, 9 to 9.   It seems perfect based on that .... but now that I've read this thread I'm wondering about the sea conditions in the summer.   Is it really that rough so as to be unpleasant w 2 sea days at the end??  

I have taken this itinerary many times, including several times over the summer months. Yes the last day it does cool down but the seas have never been so rough that it has bothered me and I have been known to get sea sick. I have heard about the seas getting rough but I personally have not experienced those conditions. I am booked on the 12 Aug Panorama cruise. 

3 hours ago, 80sGal said:

Wait!  What??  More info needed please!  We have been looking at Panorama as we had it scheduled WAAY back in May 2020 which obviously didn't happen and we've stuck to the usual East Coast since the restart.  We had chosen the 8 day in June next year but haven't paid the deposit yet.  We chose it for the times.  Cabo first, 10 to 7, the Mazatlan and LaPaz regular hours and PV last, 9 to 9.   It seems perfect based on that .... but now that I've read this thread I'm wondering about the sea conditions in the summer.   Is it really that rough so as to be unpleasant w 2 sea days at the end??  

No, I personally think you've picked a great itinerary w/ the 8 night that includes LaPaz.  See, here's the thing.  The northbound leg back up the Baja is often against the wind and sailing the Pacific isn't like cruising around in the Bahamas.  So it's a compromise either way. What Carnival's pax 'gain' by doing Cabo last is their second seaday southbound is usually pretty calm and 'Caribbean-like' once you're below the end of the Baja and in more protected waters. Lots of folks really like that.  But the rub is that by doing Cabo last, one must leave quite early in the afternoon to make it all the way back to Long Beach in time (about a 30 hour trip). When you do Cabo first (as you will), the ship will be sailing in those 'protected waters' while you're asleep (leaving PV at 9pm) and so both seadays will be truly out in the Pacific during the afternoon Lido deck hours. It's usually 'fine' but it's certainly not like 'drifting around' at 10 knots sheltered by islands.

What I can't comment on is summer vs. winter.  I've been down that coast 4-5 times but always between November and March. But if you've never sailed from California, you need to appreciate that it's different than sailing from Miami or in the Gulf.  Some actually prefer it. But there's a reason why the vast majority of cruising is from Florida and, to a lesser extent Texas; literally perhaps the greatest cruising grounds in the entire world. 

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 80sGal said:

It's not so much the sea conditions but rather the overall weather conditions.  For a multitude of reasons, the Northbound trip can be very chilly year-round, even the summer months, especially between Baja and Los Angeles.  You'll see lots of people sunbathing but you'll see just as many hibernating inside.  Just depends on who you are.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2023 at 1:32 PM, cruisinfamily7609 said:

We’ve flown in and out the day of cruising and returning for as long as we’ve cruised. I think we’ve had one cruise where we actually flew in a day early and left a day late and my husband was not the least bit thrilled about doing so (or spending the money to do so), and we haven’t done it since. This time, since we’ve moved out of the LA area, we are driving down the night before our cruise and staying overnight. 

Here’s the thing: everyone is different. Would *I* like to come down early and stay at a nice hotel? Sure. Anything to extend vacation is a-ok with me! My husband though, sees it VERY differently. He doesn’t like missing work, vacation is sort of a “forced” thing for him, and he certainly isn’t going to take off more time just to get somewhere early and stay in a hotel overnight, particularly because doing so costs extra. Even if we have the budget to do so (we do), he isn’t one to spend on things like family vacations. Cruising isn’t a past-time for us, it is a treat! We did a lot of red-eye flights to get to the east coast early and onto a ship. I realize many of you may think that’s nuts. I’d agree. But, when it’s the only choice you have between cruising and not cruising (and certainly not multiple times in a year)...you do what you can. 

So many people who post here on Cruise Critic are just incredibly privileged individuals and don’t even see it; which is just...well...it’s actually pretty embarrassing to see the lack of self awareness. Even back when Cruise Critic was just a forum board on AOL, people acted as though it was perfectly normal to have thirty cruises in the bag, with another twenty or in planning. It is as though no one realizes that most people don’t take ten cruises a year or something. HELLOOOOO....The rest of the country, much less the whole world, is not necessarily wealthy.

Not everybody can even cruise once, much less cruise in a suite, or be platinum/diamond/etc members on any line, or even cruise more than once every few years. It doesn’t make them heathens, or even people you might not want to know. It makes them the majority, to be brutally honest. If you have the type of lifestyle that affords you such things, take more time to count yourself lucky, and less time to judge everyone else for what they aren’t able. Asking questions about why someone wouldn’t go early and stay over is like asking why someone wouldn’t sail in a balcony cabin every single time they cruise. Not everyone has the same opportunity or budget. I don’t fault those who can, but I feel like I have to sometimes beg forgiveness because we couldn’t, and still don’t. I feel lucky to just be able to get on a ship again, regardless of whether I am flying in last minute or - as the case will be this time - driving in the night before. Maybe that’s just me.

Great post. ITA.

7 hours ago, 80sGal said:

I've taken this cruise numerous times and I don't recall any rough seas.

7 hours ago, 80sGal said:

It's not bad in the summer. La Paz is on the Sea of Cortez thus somewhat protected. June is generally great weather. Going North from Cabo is usually somewhat bumpy but not generally bad.

On 6/13/2023 at 1:32 PM, cruisinfamily7609 said:

I concur that this is an excellent post.  

Every single mommy blog will say you should arrive at least the evening before the cruise.  As I wrote earlier, what most people don't realize is that when you encounter flight irregularities, the airline's sole responsibility is to get you on the next available flight.  So if your cruise is on Saturday, Dec. 24th and your flight on Friday, Dec. 23rd is cancelled, that next available flight may be Sunday, Dec. 25 - after your cruise.  Arriving the evening before will provide a buffer and may yield more options, but it's not the insurance policy it's made out to be.  

The percentage of flights that are severely delayed or cancelled is small - and most of them derive from poor weather or are concentrated to/from congested airports.  So yes, if you're traveling direct from NYC, then you may feel better arriving the evening before.  But if you're traveling direct from Des Moines in the summer, a well-timed flight (e.g. early morning departure scheduled to arrive several hours before last call) is extremely unlikely to cause problems.

16 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

I concur that this is an excellent post.  

Every single mommy blog will say you should arrive at least the evening before the cruise.  As I wrote earlier, what most people don't realize is that when you encounter flight irregularities, the airline's sole responsibility is to get you on the next available flight.  So if your cruise is on Saturday, Dec. 24th and your flight on Friday, Dec. 23rd is cancelled, that next available flight may be Sunday, Dec. 25 - after your cruise.  Arriving the evening before will provide a buffer and may yield more options, but it's not the insurance policy it's made out to be.  

The percentage of flights that are severely delayed or cancelled is small - and most of them derive from poor weather or are concentrated to/from congested airports.  So yes, if you're traveling direct from NYC, then you may feel better arriving the evening before.  But if you're traveling direct from Des Moines in the summer, a well-timed flight (e.g. early morning departure scheduled to arrive several hours before last call) is extremely unlikely to cause problems.

Not trying to start an argument but I disagree with this completely. What one needs to consider is how many (or few) options the airlines have to re-accommodate you if your flight is canceled/severely delayed. By flying even the evening before, those options are almost always more than zero. Obviously travel at major holidays impacts their ability to help.

I will give 2 examples: 

- We were scheduled to fly evening before from MDW-FLL. Our flight was canceled approximately 24 hours before the gangplank was to be pulled.  SWA Customer Service was able to route us MDW-MSY-FLL and had a couple other options as well. We arrived at our hotel at approximately 1am, still 12+ hours from 'last call'.

- On a different cruise, our connection at HOU was severely delayed (at least 4 hours) owing to delays getting a fallen soldier home to his family.  We even witnessed the water cannon salute.  We were so late, in fact, that we beyond the hours where our Florida budget hotel could check us in. Thus, at exactly 3:30 am we stretched out in the luggage area at FLL to 'airport sleep' with the full cooperation of the on duty Sheriffs.  We were not alone; many were doing the same.  At 9:00 am we grabbed an Uber, arrived safely at the POM Terminal F Priority Lounge (wishing we could have 'slept' there) and boarded successfully heading straight to Serenity for a nap.

In both cases had we been flying 'day of', we likely would have missed our ship. I've taken something like 30 cruises.  2 in 30 equates to a 6.7% failure rate; a risk we simply will not take.   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question......if the ship docks in Long Beach on April 20 after a 7 day cruise.....at 9AM.....about when should I be able to get to LAX and get a flight back to Canada.......choices back are 11:40.....12:20..... or way late at 5:00 PM.......  assuming you need some time to check in etc.....it looks like to me the best one is the last one????....thoughts

45 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Quick question......if the ship docks in Long Beach on April 20 after a 7 day cruise.....at 9AM.....about when should I be able to get to LAX and get a flight back to Canada.......choices back are 11:40.....12:20..... or way late at 5:00 PM.......  assuming you need some time to check in etc.....it looks like to me the best one is the last one????....thoughts

That would be wise to take the late one. Panorama been having propulsion issues lately. You need a margin off error because you are supposed to be at airport 2 hours before to be safe. 

If Panorama got in later than usual this morning we did not notice it - we were walking onto the ship at 11 am like usual. It was an incredibly quick/easy embarkation but they did mention we have an incredibly full ship (just under 5,000) for this 4th of July cruise.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 4:33 PM, ASR1996 said:

We disembarked the Carnival Panorama this past Saturday, May 27 and we had an incredible week.  There is absolutely nothing I can complain about.  It was a perfect week and I wish it could have lasted much longer.

We were late leaving Cabo which put us about two to three hours late returning to Long Beach.  I think we started disembarking at 10:00 AM.  I’m sure it caused problems for some cruisers with their travel plans but for us we drove to the port, so it didn't impact us. 

We had Faster to the Fun, which I recommend.  Once we were inside the cruise terminal, we bypassed all lines and checked in immediately and walked directly onto the ship.  FTTF also helped us disembark upon our return.    

Highlights for us were the production shows (Celestial Stings is a must see if you enjoy the production shows), Fahrenheit 555, the Limelight Lounge nightclub, the Quest (for mature audiences only) and the Havana area.  We met some really nice people and had many excellent conversations. The crew was great and everyone we came into contact with was friendly and made time to say hello. 

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Glad you enjoyed your trip! One question: we have FTTF for our upcoming sailing. Did it print out on your luggage tags or boarding pass? I don't see it on mine. Thank you for those highlights, I will surely take note and seek them out. Thank you!!

On 6/16/2023 at 10:14 AM, jsglow said:

I will give 2 examples: 

I hate to say this, but in your two examples given you're flying from major citiy-> major city on what is considered an ULCC airline with less of a route network than the majors. If i were in Chicago and going to FLL (or anywhere, really), I'd definitely fly a mainline direct. The mainlines also have a more robust network and rescheduling options than Southwest.

I agree with you that flying in the day before is overall a better option, but not everyone is in a position to do that.

Edited by notscb

4 hours ago, carefree20 said:

Glad you enjoyed your trip! One question: we have FTTF for our upcoming sailing. Did it print out on your luggage tags or boarding pass? I don't see it on mine. Thank you for those highlights, I will surely take note and seek them out. Thank you!!

Yes, FTTF will print on both your boarding pass and your luggage tags. On the boarding pass, it's in the upper left corner and pretty tiny. On your luggage tags, it's on the bottom of each side of the tag, right above the "Staple or Tape Here" message. 

28 minutes ago, carefree20 said:

Ah Ha! I see it... big as day! LoL!!! I was so excited to see my boarding pass I didn't see the huge circular FTTF logo! LoL!! Thanks. 

Happy sailing!

Glad you spotted it 🙂 Which upcoming sailing are you on? We're heading out next week on July 8.

1 minute ago, PinaCarada said:

Glad you spotted it 🙂 Which upcoming sailing are you on? We're heading out next week on July 8.

We're on the July 15th sailing. Hoping for clear skies and sunshine! Enjoy!!

13 hours ago, notscb said:

I hate to say this, but in your two examples given you're flying from major citiy-> major city on what is considered an ULCC airline with less of a route network than the majors. If i were in Chicago and going to FLL (or anywhere, really), I'd definitely fly a mainline direct. The mainlines also have a more robust network and rescheduling options than Southwest.

I agree with you that flying in the day before is overall a better option, but not everyone is in a position to do that.

Your choice obviously. And we have flown non-stop more often than not from Midway on SWA. In fact that first trip I mentioned was a N/S. For the record, SWA has fully 15 flights a day down there, 5 of which are either NS or direct.  Moreover, we avoid ORD like the plague unless flying internationally.

Edited by jsglow

18 hours ago, csm5986142 said:

If Panorama got in later than usual this morning we did not notice it - we were walking onto the ship at 11 am like usual. It was an incredibly quick/easy embarkation but they did mention we have an incredibly full ship (just under 5,000) for this 4th of July cruise.

Your cruise director said you'd arrive on time because you didn't port in Cabo due to the hurricane situation. I'm surprised you weren't there by 5am 🙂