Melbourne for oldies??

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Actually the point most of us have been making is that it's unlikely someone will come into contact with many more spiders here than they would in NZ

Yes, and I think I said that back in post #7 when the question was first asked.  The problem is that many people think phobias are funny and fair game for trotting out their experiences. This is not at all helpful for the person with the phobia.  I used to work with people with a particular phobia (not spiders) and they don't need their misapprehensions reinforced. Could we be kind and stick to helping the poster enjoy her stay in Melbourne?

Edited by cruiser3775

18 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

When I visited my girlfriend's grandchildren in New York, they came out wide eyed with a book on all the "killer creatures" from Australia! 

Yet, when I was last in Canada/America, two bears killed people and I discovered Vancouver Island had cougars, with lots of books about them stalking people. 

How come we never hear about these "killer animals"?

We certainly hear about them - plus wolves that savage beach sleepers on the islands, coyotes attacking people in Stanley Park (and more pet cats than you can shake a stick at throughout the city), raccoons attack several people annually in Vancouver (usually when trying to defend their 'handbag' dogs from being eaten), polar bears all across our arctic settlements are the reason nobody locks their cars up there (so anyone on the street can jump into the nearest vehicle if they see a bear) and of course we'll see your Bunyips and raise you Sasquatch! We've even got rattlesnakes and scorpions here in BC, though Black Widows mostly stay over in Ontario.

Cougars have attacked mountain bikers and hikers here on the mainland too, there's just more of them on the Island - my favourite story is about the pensioner who killed a cougar with a spear after it mauled his missus... I'm sure Crocodile Dundee would have just gone after it with a knife! 😉

The most dangerous beastie in Canada though, with over 200 annual attacks on humans recorded by Parks Canada during their last available chunk of data (2299 during 2010-2021)? Though don't worry, the overwhelming majority happen in Alberta and nobody cruises out of there...

Elk! So do your bit when you visit, help us eat as many of these vicious-but-delicious predators as possible!!!!! 😉

Just now, Chiliburn said:

Does anyone know if you can buy the Myki explorer card near station cruise terminal?

When I was there last September on Coral Princess, the Myki counter was right inside the cruise terminal hall..

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

When I was there last September on Coral Princess, the Myki counter was right inside the cruise terminal hall..

Thanks uncle Les but did they sell the day pass ? 
Im not really up on the Myki but I think that’s the best option for a visitor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Thanks uncle Les but did they sell the day pass ? 
Im not really up on the Myki but I think that’s the best option for a visitor.

Yes, they sell the day pass and have a concession rate for seniors.

They are very efficient and used to dealing with cruise ship passengers.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 3

On 6/6/2023 at 7:50 AM, Korimako said:

Thank you all so much for all your suggestions, I do appreciate it. However, after several to-ing and fro-ing emails, it now appears that Adelaide is a better option (!), but I'm not about to ask for  similar recommendations - we're looking at Glenelg. I'll just knuckle down and trawl the internet.

......the worst you could most likely come across is the friendly Huntsman spider

As for this - for an arachnophobe there is no such thing as a friendly spider!! From photos I have not managed to avoid seeing, it's the stuff of nightmares. It's the size of it. Aaaaargh!!!!

And though I have heard of the Avondale spider here in NZ, as far as I know it is confined to the Auckland area where it arrived on a boat from Australia - thanks!!

Thanks again

K

Don't think for one moment your on your own, I have been know to use most of a can of surface spray to kill a spider, almost killing MDB wife in the process. As soon as I spot a spider, she rolls her eyes and goes and gets a gas mask.🤣

• Haha 3

On 6/6/2023 at 12:20 PM, Jean C said:

Dare I admit it, even "protected" wetas get my zero tolerance treatment - they're big and they're ugly 😱

Oh god that they are, and they won't die, stepped on one, a load crunch, came back an hour latter and found it trying to crawl away. Took a second go to kill the bugger..

PS: since that time I have found out their actually harmless.🥺

Edited by Ozwoody
ps added

On 6/6/2023 at 2:20 PM, Jean C said:

Dare I admit it, even "protected" wetas get my zero tolerance treatment - they're big and they're ugly 😱

Oh no, Jean, wetas are wonderful little creatures.  Yes, they can be big but they are amazing and absolutely harmless.  

• Thanks 1