CoCo Cay snorkeling

22 minutes ago, ceejay_San Angelo said:

Where is the best place to see fish and coral?  We will have our own equipment, so not looking for an excursion.  

Not sure there is any coral. Best place to snorkel is off of Chill Island. There's a ship wreck over there and my wife has seen fish, sting rays, and a nurse shark. She also saw a lemon shark by the OTW cabanas.

Head in that direction and ask an employee, they will direct you.

• Like 3

There were 2 tiny sharks at the Beach Club yesterday.  Some said they were nurse sharks and some said lemon sharks so I don't know what they were....but they didn't cause any harm.  Dan found the water around the Club to be too shallow for any real snorkeling.  I guess we will have to try Chill Island next time.

Not south beach, as there is seaweed , some small minnow type fish, but not much. As can happen anywhere, grandson was stung by a jellyfish.  Those stinkers are so hard to see in the water.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2023 at 6:49 PM, OCSC Mike said:

Not sure there is any coral. Best place to snorkel is off of Chill Island. There's a ship wreck over there and my wife has seen fish, sting rays, and a nurse shark. She also saw a lemon shark by the OTW cabanas.

Head in that direction and ask an employee, they will direct you.

Thanks for the tip. Would this spot be where the Ship's snorkeling excursion takes place? We'd rather go to a spot on our own, since we have our own gear, too.

13 minutes ago, wellsme1 said:

Thanks for the tip. Would this spot be where the Ship's snorkeling excursion takes place? We'd rather go to a spot on our own, since we have our own gear, too.

I think so but not sure. My wife snorkels on her own. I know you go somewhere else if you do the kayaking excursion b/c they won't let you swim out there near some rocks.

• Like 1

Chill Island is good for snorkeling, especially if you can find the shipwrecks. They are further out from shore but inside the boundary markers for the swim area. Also check out the snorkeling along the rocks near shore. There is a shack there where they rent snorkel gear and maybe they supply the ship excursion with gear, but I was there for a few hours and didn't see any groups that would be a snorkel excursion. 

• Like 1