Post Cruise Civitavecchia or FCO?

martyap

Right now the airfare to book the 1:50pm flight to JFK vs the 9:45am flight the next morning is +$600 for the two of us. Should we consider staying in Civitavecchia one night? Would have to also book a very early transfer to FCO. Any recommendations for Civitavecchia? Thanks

You will have no problem making the 1:45 flight. If I were going to take the 9:45 flight the next day, we have done a full day tour (Rome in Limo), ending at the Hilton FCO, which is attached to the airport, as you will want to be at the airport shortly after 7am.

I wouldn't recommend staying in Civitavecchia. The hotels there are really sub-average.

If you want to take the flight next day, look for a hotel near FCO. You can see Ostia Antica (which is very close) if you're looking for something to do that day.  Or go into Rome.

We are spending 7 days in Rome pre cruise……probably a day trip to Florence and one other. Is there a location near the airport where we could walk around, have lunch/dinner and then catch an early taxi the next morning to FCO? I agree the hotels in Civitavecchia don’t look appealing. If not we will just book the 1:50 flight the day we disembark at the higher fare. Thank you

Edited by martyap

Ostia, a beach town, is very near (it's the modern "Ostia" as opposed to the antique one that was the Roman port city).  I haven't actually stayed there but others have, including, I think @Hlitner who might see this and give an opinion. I know there are some very good restaurants for seafood.

I also know in recent years it's become sort of a base for one of the branches of the mafia that operates in the area. Not that this would be a major consideration for tourists visiting the area, it just always puts me off a bit. 

You can read more about Ostia here:  https://www.wantedinrome.com/news/why-does-ostia-remain-somewhat-forgotten.html

Never stayed in Ostia, although we were pretty close at Fiumcino.  We enjoyed that area where there is a nice promenade along the coast and plenty of decent restaurants (seafood being a local specialty).  We stayed there because we had an early flight and found that area a lot nicer than just staying out near the airport.  Of course Ostia Antica is also pretty close and a "don't miss" place for those that have a few hours.

Hank