Why do Oceania’s cookies have no taste?

Woodrowst

Off topic, but spoke with pizza chefs last night hon Vista and they have reformulated the dough recipe and also new ovens with ceramic decks.  As a certified Pizzaiolo in classic Italian, I can say that the Pizza at night in Waves is dramatically improved.

The chef said that the equipment and chefs are being trained in other ships (Marina and Riviera) by an Italian expert as well. Really good top level results.

So there is commitment to improving baking ongoing.  My photos aren’t great but I did take a few and will try to get better ones in.

IMG_0639.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

IMG_0641.jpeg

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Currently on the Vista. My take on the pizza at dinner. My wife and I split a pizza for dinner. It was at first very good and I give the staff kudos. However, it was served on an unwarmed white plate sitting up on a holder. At 65-70 degree F ambient, In Waves, it cooled very quickly, and by the second piece we were eating cold pizza. Some people enjoy cold pizza, we don’t. Seems there should be some way to keep it warm at the table. Potentially good pizza, but won’t reorder as is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/4/2023 at 4:48 AM, Woodrowst said:

My wife and I are currently on the Nautica having embarked in Dubai and now entering the Red Sea on our way to Egypt.  We are having a wonderful cruise.  This is our 5th Oceania cruise and we have noticed on all of them that the cookies have no taste whatsoever.  This is clearly the exception since all of the other food is terrific.  So I thought I’d ask if anyone knows why Oceania bakes cookies that have no taste?  Please understand that this is not a complaint.  It would take a lot more than cardboard cookies to ruin our cruise.  I am simply looking for an explanation.

i also realize that the question can be read two ways.  The taste I am talking about involves ingredients.  It does not reference a cookie who wears shorts to dinner ☺️

This is my favorite CC post ever!! Just got off Vista and so many people were asking this same question. We were on Sirena twice last year and also asked the same question there. Sawdust, whether they are sugar free or not. It just seems so weird especially with the new 'bakery' on Vista. It is a nice addition to barristas but the offerings are the same every day. Well, part of me is glad they aren't good, one less temptation!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, khuselid said:

. It just seems so weird especially with the new 'bakery' on Vista. It is a nice addition to barristas but the offerings are the same every day. Well, part of me is glad they aren't good, one less temptation!!

are all the offering in the bakery not good  or just the cookies ??

DH will be  so upset if the baked goods are not good

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I didn't try any of them but the word is they are good. They aren't mixed in the bakery just baked. The cookies don't come from the bakery. You find them in the barristas or in Terraces. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

On our current Nautica cruise (we just left Israel and are headed for Malta) the other baked goods are fine.  We are especially enjoying the breadsticks, french bread, and chocolate croissants.  Only the cookies are devoid of flavor.  ☺️

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2023 at 6:21 AM, mumcat said:

I live in France and IMO, French butter is bland.

really?  Even the salted?  I wanted to bring some back from France when I'm there in December. 

A proof that decent cookies can be provided:  we are one of many frequent Oceania cruisers who find the cookies terrible.  We are on our first Scenic river cruise and as an experiment I described to our butler how to make real chocolate chip cookies.  The next day he came back with half a dozen ones I'd rate 9 out of 10 (only minor flaw was that they were really chocolate chocolate chip with cocoa in the cookie base--some actually prefer it that way).   

So I'll try the same thing on our next O cruise and I suggest others do the same--don't give up hope!  It's not rocket science.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2023 at 3:21 PM, mumcat said:

I live in France and IMO, French butter is bland.

I’ve had butter in a few different countries, and I have always found butter in most countries (maybe not in China???) to be far superior to the stuff we eat in the US.  Even the “cheap, ordinary” butter in Japan was much better than what we find in Kroger.  I distinctly remember butter we had in Nice was really delicious.  But I know that the amount of salt added to butter varies a lot, and we actually like lightly salted butter vs. the typical American “heavily salted” version.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lelak said:

A proof that decent cookies can be provided:  we are one of many frequent Oceania cruisers who find the cookies terrible.  We are on our first Scenic river cruise and as an experiment I described to our butler how to make real chocolate chip cookies.  The next day he came back with half a dozen ones I'd rate 9 out of 10 (only minor flaw was that they were really chocolate chocolate chip with cocoa in the cookie base--some actually prefer it that way).   

So I'll try the same thing on our next O cruise and I suggest others do the same--don't give up hope!  It's not rocket science.

Finally, a reason to have a Butler!  

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, calicakes said:

really?  Even the salted?  I wanted to bring some back from France when I'm there in December. 

I always wondered if it is “safe” to bring butter back from overseas.  I guess it can be done in the winter.

22 minutes ago, calicakes said:

The salted one is ok. Best try various varieties whilst there. I'm curious why you'd bring butter back home from France. What's wrong with American butter?  

• Haha 1

Just now, basenji56 said:

Finally, a reason to have a Butler!  

Maybe we should insist that they hire a few butlers well-versed in cookies baked with good butter…a butter concierge…or a Butter Butler…A Butterler.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I’ve had butter in a few different countries, and I have always found butter in most countries (maybe not in China???) to be far superior to the stuff we eat in the US.  Even the “cheap, ordinary” butter in Japan was much better than what we find in Kroger.  I distinctly remember butter we had in Nice was really delicious.  But I know that the amount of salt added to butter varies a lot, and we actually like lightly salted butter vs. the typical American “heavily salted” version.

That's really interesting. When we first moved to France 17 years ago we though the potatoes tasted fabulous. Now we wonder why we ever thought that lol.

9 minutes ago, mumcat said:

The salted one is ok. Best try various varieties whilst there. I'm curious why you'd bring butter back home from France. What's wrong with American butter?  

I bake with American butter an I buy Kerry Gold to use on toast/potatoes, etc.  I love butter and wanted to try some French Butter.  I've purchased Plugra' if I'm baking sable'.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, calicakes said:

I bake with American butter an I buy Kerry Gold to use on toast/potatoes, etc.  I love butter and wanted to try some French Butter.  I've purchased Plugra' if I'm baking sable'.  

I like Kerry Gold. I'm sure that you'll find decent butter here. My taste buds have been dumbed down over the last 16 years or so as I find French food quite bland, but that's just me.

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

The breads and bakery items on Vista have been excellent. Best on any of the Oceania ships in awhile.

The various cookies however are horrible. Really weird! 

I can see that happening, though.  Good bread can be the product of flour, water, yeast, and fermentation, so as long as the baker has time and a place to cold store the dough for a few days to allow the flavors to develop as it ferments, delicious bread can be made with very cheap ingredients. 

Most cookies take butter, though, so if costs are being cut in ingredients... it's hard to get around for good results.

5 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

On our current Nautica cruise (we just left Israel and are headed for Malta) the other baked goods are fine.  We are especially enjoying the breadsticks, french bread, and chocolate croissants.  Only the cookies are devoid of flavor.  ☺️

The VISTA  has a Bakery by barristas & that is what the discussion  was about

On 6/14/2023 at 12:44 AM, Pizzasteve said:

As a certified Pizzaiolo in classic Italian, I can say that the Pizza at night in Waves is dramatically improved.

This sounds promising.

I'd rather have good pizza than good cookies. 😍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe  we all should send Oceania  corporate  a copy of our favourite cookie recipe 😃

I even bake cookies with flavour so how hard can it be for  trained Chefs 🙄

Well I guess it is very hard  according to this thread

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe  we all should send Oceania  corporate  a copy of our favourite cookie recipe 😃

I even bake cookies with flavour so how hard can it be for  trained Chefs 🙄

Well I guess it is very hard  according to this thread

When this thread started, I expected the Oceania loyalists to say, "No, the cookies are great!"  But that didn't happen.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Perhaps Flatbush Flyer can have a word with FDR about the cookies.  I have been spoiled by some of the cookies on Seabourn (usually in the case at Seabourn Square) which taste like really good cookies bought from a decent bakery.  How do you make tasteless cookies?  I am told it is usually just skimping on the butter.  A "Premium Line" with budget cookies does not make a lot of sense

• Like 2