More kid questions

MarkandStacie

Is the tipping generally the same for them? I assume if you have a quad room, you should double the tip amount? Can I limit the places or amounts they are able to charge to the room?

I'm Ipod ignorant, aren't these ONLY charged by being plugged into a computer?

If the kids got the same services as adults you should tip the same as well. If the cabin steward has to make up four beds it doesn't really matter if an adult slept in them or a child slept in them. Same in the dining room if the waiter is serving someone it doesn't matter if it is an adult or a child. As for charges, speak to guest relations to limit their charge cards.

Is the tipping generally the same for them? I assume if you have a quad room, you should double the tip amount?

Celebrity's own guidelines suggest that the tipping amount for children be only half the standard amount for adults if they are staying as a 3/4 person in the same cabin. Celebrity tipping guidelines

That said, we have always tipped the "full" amount or more because it seems that our kids generate just as much work as us parents for the crew.

As far as the iPod is concerned, you can purchase a device that plugs into a standard wall outlet that allows you to connect your iPod to for charging. The ones that I have seen at Best Buy run for about $30.

When we travel with our children, we always get a connecting room for them.

We tip them the same as we would an adult. They are staying in a room and while the cabin attendent may have a little less work to do, it would not be fair for them not to get the same tip as if an adult would stay in that room.

The attention they get in the restaurant is fantastic. While my wife and I usually tip above the recomended amount for us, we normally tip as if they were adults also. It seems the staff really goes out of their way for the kids.

Also, we tip the staff in the fun factory. I do not know if many do or not, but our kids have a great time, and in all honestly would rather be at the fun factory than with my wife and I. While that is good for me, most of the time, it normally takes the DW several days to get used to.

Not age.

The recommend tips are based on the services each individual recieves. A child needs to have their share of the room made up just as an adult does. A child recieves service from the wait staff just as an adult does.

Just because children are not adults does not mean that they recieve less service than adults do. As a matter of fact , sometimes families with children require MORE services and attention.

In the case of three or four to a cabin, the suggested tips are for EACH not less for the additional travellers.

For these third or fourth the discounted price of the cabin reflects the cabin and food, not service. As a matter of fact my nephew in law who worked for Celebrity told us that its easier for the stewards if there are only two to a room. The third or forth generate more garbage, towels, etc.. as well as being more difficult to keep the room tidy.

I would say base your tips on the suggested rates multiplied by the number of passengers in your party. That is the fair and just way.

Dave:eek:

Not age.

The recommend tips are based on the services each individual recieves. A child needs to have their share of the room made up just as an adult does. A child recieves service from the wait staff just as an adult does.

Just because children are not adults does not mean that they recieve less service than adults do. As a matter of fact , sometimes families with children require MORE services and attention.

In the case of three or four to a cabin, the suggested tips are for EACH not less for the additional travellers.

For these third or fourth the discounted price of the cabin reflects the cabin and food, not service. As a matter of fact my nephew in law who worked for Celebrity told us that its easier for the stewards if there are only two to a room. The third or forth generate more garbage, towels, etc.. as well as being more difficult to keep the room tidy.

I would say base your tips on the suggested rates multiplied by the number of passengers in your party. That is the fair and just way.

Dave:eek:

According to Celebrity's tipping guidelines if the children are a third or fourth in a room then the tipping recommendation is 1/2 for each child. If they have their own room then the guidelines would be full tipping. These are Celebrity's recommendations although I have personally always tipped more.

I'm Ipod ignorant, aren't these ONLY charged by being plugged into a computer?

You can order an adaptor for an Ipod to be able to charge through any electrical outlet. One side is a USB port and the other is a regular plug. I ordered mine online from the Apple Store, but I think you can get them at Best Buy or Circuit City.

Terri

One thing I have noticed about kids on cruises is that they LOVE LOVE LOVE to order room service, which is perfectly fine. I've seen some kids do this a couple or more times a day. I don't see a thing wrong with it.

Two possible problem: 1) They might not understand about tipping the server who brings the food. So you might want to bring a stack of $1 and make it clear to your kids that they are to give the person bringing their food a buck or two every time. 2) Room service generates a lot of extra trays, plates, and spills that the sabin steward needs to deal with...if your kids are into this, make sure his/her tip takes that into consideration.

When we travel with our children, we always get a connecting room for them.

Fang, sorry to hijack the thread, but we will be cruising with adjoining rooms in April and I was wondering if we will end up with 2 keycards for 1 door and 2 keycards for the adjoining room and never the two pairs would meet?

I sent an inquiry in to ask if the two doors could be keyed alike and was told no. Have you ever tried this or had success?

Fang, sorry to hijack the thread, but we will be cruising with adjoining rooms in April and I was wondering if we will end up with 2 keycards for 1 door and 2 keycards for the adjoining room and never the two pairs would meet?

I sent an inquiry in to ask if the two doors could be keyed alike and was told no. Have you ever tried this or had success?

Don't know what ship you are on but on most Celebrity ships your key cards are also your sign and sail card and your card to get on and off the ship. Because of this everyone has to have a card as its most important function is to allow you to get on and off the ship.

On our Summit cruise last month, I was in a Royal Suite and mom and sis were in the PH. I wanted a key to get in their room and they wanted a key for mine and it wasn't a problem. All you need to do is go to the purser's office, or if you have a butler, have him do it. They will give you a sign and sail card that's keyed for the other cabin, but on it will be printed, "not to be used to purchase anything on board".

In the past we were asked about purchases being ok to be made on grandkids sign and sail cards. When they were younger we said no, the last cruise we said ok and our 14yr old used hers to get the soda stickers for brothers and sister so one of us did not have to make the trip to the bar to get it done the first day of the cruise. They knew they could use the cards for treats if needed (candy etc.) but we encouraged them to eat at buffet or hamburger stand. Other than tips placed on the card plus the soda stickers the total spent was under $5 each.

Yes they each had the full amount of tips on their accounts/cards. Which we knew was going to be added to their cards, and we even added cash to our waiters, cabin attendant etc. from our family extra. Each cabin had 3 of us so the extra work, messes, were extra for the cabin steward to clean up. Yes, teenagers and pre-teens are messy.

Francine

Archived