NCL Bad Reviews

dmbcanada

2 hours ago, Doug_S said:

I see a lot of cheerleaders on this thread, but few that will acknowledge that some complaints a very justified. For example, last October we traveled on three consecutive European cruises on NCL. In every one they cancelled a port. On the first they cancelled an entire country (Scotland). They postponed departure, and caused all kinds of havoc with pre-booked excursions, and in adding ports, had little capacity for any excursions. On the third cruise they lost our dining reservations and pre-booked excursions, requiring a manager to "find" our excursion bookings, but still lost the dining. 

In my mind, this compilation of failures justifies complaints, but NCL did nothing. The lastest is they cancelled a 2024 cruise we booked this past January so they could charter the ship. While they claim they offer a 10% to book another cruise, booking the same cruise on another of their ships departing 5 days later than the original, now costs us more. Any they could care less, and won't make any adjustment. So again, complaints are justified, and these are not about food, or service, but corporate policy and customer goodwill!

One poster who was smarter than me noted that they only book NCL cruises at the last minute because of the itinerary changes they experienced in the past.  That way the cruise didn't cost so much that they would be too upset if the itinerary changes.  Prior to covid, we found the mainstream cruise lines more similar than different, and as far as I know the other cruise lines are only cancelling ports due to legitimate emergencies.  We really liked Princess precovid, and sailed RC post covid and they seemed nice.

Not all changes are announced before boarding the ship, that is the point.  In addition, booking at the last minute involves booking last minute, probably more expensive transportation. Living close to a port would help, but our closest port NYC, has cut down on many cruises, don't want to go to Bermuda again, seen enough dogs looking for drugs.

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I thought we all looked forward to our next cruise.  Don't you?

Always, but it does not change what already happened previously.  Looking forward to a future cruise on Sky, not at all encouraged after reading the reviews on CC.  Seems the only ones who liked the cruise were either first timers or stayed in suites or the haven.  Many experienced cruisers said it was their worst cruise ever.  We will make the best of our cruise, but already alerted as to what might or might not happen. Looking forward to specialty restaurants, been 4 years.

29 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Looking forward to a future cruise on Sky, not at all encouraged after reading the reviews on CC.  Seems the only ones who liked the cruise were either first timers or stayed in suites or the haven.

I was on the Sky Jan/Feb in an inside cabin. We had a great time! 😎

28 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I was on the Sky Jan/Feb in an inside cabin. We had a great time! 😎

Then you should do NCL a favor by filing your review, glad you enjoyed the cruise, let the world know.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Then you should do NCL a favor by filing your review, glad you enjoyed the cruise, let the world know.

I just did.  I'm pretty sure I've posted my positive experiences here previously, but I really can't say for sure and it really doesn't make any difference.  The only thing I didn't really like about the Sky was their small musical acts in the various lounges and bars.  Of course, within a month after my sailing Alexa showed up on the Sky.  Crappy timing by @ChiefMateJRK!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Doug_S said:

I see a lot of cheerleaders on this thread, but few that will acknowledge that some complaints a very justified. For example, last October we traveled on three consecutive European cruises on NCL. In every one they cancelled a port. On the first they cancelled an entire country (Scotland). They postponed departure, and caused all kinds of havoc with pre-booked excursions, and in adding ports, had little capacity for any excursions. On the third cruise they lost our dining reservations and pre-booked excursions, requiring a manager to "find" our excursion bookings, but still lost the dining. 

In my mind, this compilation of failures justifies complaints, but NCL did nothing. The lastest is they cancelled a 2024 cruise we booked this past January so they could charter the ship. While they claim they offer a 10% to book another cruise, booking the same cruise on another of their ships departing 5 days later than the original, now costs us more. Any they could care less, and won't make any adjustment. So again, complaints are justified, and these are not about food, or service, but corporate policy and customer goodwill!

NCL cancelled your cruise over a year ahead of time and gave you a full refund.  If you are not happy, find another cruise line that you will be happy with.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

NCL cancelled your cruise over a year ahead of time and gave you a full refund.  If you are not happy, find another cruise line that you will be happy with.  

They cancelled a cruise and yet offer the same cruise on another ship, and yet would not honor the original price on the other ship. This after supposedly offering a discount on a replacement cruise. So how would you feel to have to pay more for the same cruise because “they” decided to cancel the ship’s booking for a charter? Pure profiteering 

• Like 5

Just now, Doug_S said:

They cancelled a cruise and yet offer the same cruise on another ship, and yet would not honor the original price on the other ship. This after supposedly offering a discount on a replacement cruise. So how would you feel to have to pay more for the same cruise because “they” decided to cancel the ship’s booking for a charter? Pure profiteering 

So you create a CC log in to complain and then call anyone that doesn't have an issue with NCL "cheerleaders".  NCL is offering a 10% discount on the current price of a different cruise.  You are choosing a cruise that cost more than the previous one.  There are plenty of cruises that are less than what you paid.  I bet if the price of a different cruise with the 10% was less than your previous cruise, you wouldn't offer to pay NCL the difference.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

I bet if the price of a different cruise with the 10% was less than your previous cruise, you wouldn't offer to pay NCL the difference.  

Why should he? NCL cancelled the cruise.

12 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

So you create a CC log in to complain and then call anyone that doesn't have an issue with NCL "cheerleaders".  NCL is offering a 10% discount on the current price of a different cruise.  You are choosing a cruise that cost more than the previous one.  There are plenty of cruises that are less than what you paid.  I bet if the price of a different cruise with the 10% was less than your previous cruise, you wouldn't offer to pay NCL the difference.  

I was not looking for a different cruise. We picked that very itinerary for what it was. Obviously you are a cheer leader for NCL. In legal terms this could be considered a bait and switch, which is also considered fraud in most jurisdictions.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doug_S said:

I was not looking for a different cruise. We picked that very itinerary for what it was. Obviously you are a cheer leader for NCL. In legal terms this could be considered a bait and switch, which is also considered fraud in most jurisdictions.

No, it does not.  BTW - Welcome to CC! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doug_S said:

I'm not a cheerleader, but in the terms of service and all the fine print of every cruise line I've been on is the basic "your itinerary can change at any moment." As an example, we'll be doing Pride of America in Hawaii in February, so I'm aware that giant swells could keep us from docking at Hilo or tendering at Kona. On the Escape this upcoming September to NE/Canada, I'm aware that a hurricane or Noreaster could cause us to miss ports. I accept that as part of the risk of cruising.

Bait and Switch would be if you booked a cruise with NCL and, instead, they have a guy with a donkey and a cart there to take you places.

• Like 3

On 6/10/2023 at 12:27 PM, phillygwm said:

We live in an age of grade inflation and not just in academics.  Professionally, people in my field would have had a lower title 20 years ago than they do today (a Senior Vice President would have needed to manage staff back in the day, for instance.) 

With regard to reviews, a 3 used to be average and that wasn't a bad word.  Now, I often get an email or phone call if I give a "3" to determine what went wrong.  It seems that the new "normal" is to start at 5 and knock it down a notch or 4 when things fall short.  

It's funny, I'll review hotels and restaurants (Tripadvisor and Yelp, primarily.)  I'd say my average rating is about 3.5 and people think I'm difficult to please.  Not at all; I just think a 3 is the rating that should be used when a place was perfectly acceptable if nothing out of the ordinary.  If someone goes out of their way for me, that's a 4.  Everyone walked on water?  5 star.  I can't remember ever giving 1 star but I've given a fair number of 2s. 

To your point, when reading others' reviews I always look at their history.  You live in California, this is your first review and it's a restaurant in Philadelphia?  Probably fake.  Everything always 1 or 5 star with no nuance?  Probably overexaggerated in either direction.  

I agree! I manage staff and a 3 means you did everything exactly how I asked you to do your job. Near perfect performance. A 4 means you frequently exceed my expectations and working above your grade. A 5 is you always exceed expectations and you are outperforming your peers in the role above you. 

2 is you’re okay, but you need to improve to get you to perfect. A 1 means you suck and should be on a improvement plan. 

I review the exact same way. A 3 is great! I refuse to give anyone a 5 out 5 unless I paid for a Carnival vacation but I received the Haven experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Doug_S said:

Once again, you are attacking people because they didn’t have the same experience as you.  You only came to CC to complain about NCL and attack anyone who doesn’t feel the same way you do.  Cruising is a lot of money.  Move on.  There are plenty of other cruise lines that you can hopefully have a better time on.

• Like 2

I have done so many cruises over the years and have flowed with the changes. Norwegian has been my favorite and I have achieved sapphire. Last year and earlier this year I did a cruise leaving from Rome going through the Greek Islands ending in  BarcelOna and then in March of this year an 8 day Bahamas cruise with my daughter from NYC. In each case I had to stand in lines weaving around without any staff member to assist to help me, first with a card key that wouldn’t work, and then , my fault a bit the timing was bad so I had a theft issue with the card I used for onboard purchases. I am not saying that I am never going on Norwegian or any other cruise line, but I am choosing a different alternative this fall and hoping the staff cutbacks will get better by next year so I can go back to cruising again 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

I'm not a cheerleader, but in the terms of service and all the fine print of every cruise line I've been on is the basic "your itinerary can change at any moment." As an example, we'll be doing Pride of America in Hawaii in February, so I'm aware that giant swells could keep us from docking at Hilo or tendering at Kona. On the Escape this upcoming September to NE/Canada, I'm aware that a hurricane or Noreaster could cause us to miss ports. I accept that as part of the risk of cruising.

Bait and Switch would be if you booked a cruise with NCL and, instead, they have a guy with a donkey and a cart there to take you places.

It is true, they can cancel all the ports, cruise to nowhere, and as long as they end where they said they would they owe you nothing.  But if they tell you what the ports will be, then change it after final payment, they have done nothing illegal.  It is up to you if you want to sail with cruise lines that do that to you. 

4 hours ago, mugtech said:

It is true, they can cancel all the ports, cruise to nowhere, and as long as they end where they said they would they owe you nothing.  But if they tell you what the ports will be, then change it after final payment, they have done nothing illegal.  It is up to you if you want to sail with cruise lines that do that to you. 

On EU/UK bookings they would have to offer full refund and compensation for losses if those changes were significant.

There are exclusion to the compensation part like a war started or the port has gone due to a hurricane.

The law requires the cruise line to make the refund offer when notifying the change,  some don't, you have to ask, then they might still say no, then you have to tell them.

(Princess did this recently) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Doug_S said:

Rubbish. There is NO "bait and switch." For that to be true, a company would have to know AT THE TIME YOU BOOKED two things, neither of which you have proven to be true: 1. That the company had no intention of your cruise sailing as intended and 2. That the replacement cruise was going to cost more than the original. I don't know when you originally booked your cruise, but since the cruise line cancelled it after the fact, it's clear they didn't know a charter was in the offing. So that's item #1. Secondly, cruise prices change, in fact there are whole websites that track price changes for the same cruise, which means they can go up or down depending on demand. So the cruise you choose as a replacement for the cancelled one could be more expensive or less expensive. Look: I get the disappointment part, I really do. I wouldn't like it if my cruise got cancelled due to a charter. I'd be mad about it, too. But I'd have a really hard time proving I was mislead or the victim of a bait and switch, because the evidence just wouldn't be there. Move on and find a new cruise, and check websites that allow you to track prices in real time so you get your money's worth.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Rubbish. There is NO "bait and switch." For that to be true, a company would have to know AT THE TIME YOU BOOKED two things, neither of which you have proven to be true: 1. That the company had no intention of your cruise sailing as intended and 2. That the replacement cruise was going to cost more than the original. I don't know when you originally booked your cruise, but since the cruise line cancelled it after the fact, it's clear they didn't know a charter was in the offing. So that's item #1. Secondly, cruise prices change, in fact there are whole websites that track price changes for the same cruise, which means they can go up or down depending on demand. So the cruise you choose as a replacement for the cancelled one could be more expensive or less expensive. Look: I get the disappointment part, I really do. I wouldn't like it if my cruise got cancelled due to a charter. I'd be mad about it, too. But I'd have a really hard time proving I was mislead or the victim of a bait and switch, because the evidence just wouldn't be there. Move on and find a new cruise, and check websites that allow you to track prices in real time so you get your money's worth.

Even if any of those two were true, they gave a full refund.  A bait and switch would be cancelling the cruise, only giving them the option for a higher price cruise and not offering a refund.  

• Like 3