Prepaid laundry question

Has anyone booked the prepaid laundry option pre cruise and if so, how did it work once you boarded?  A credit to your onboard account, separate bag to send in laundry??  Thx

We did the pre-paid and would not do it again.

We paid $76 USD for 40 pieces before our cruise on our credit card.

They did a good job laundering, folding and hanging our clothes but the price is not a bargain.

After boarding, near the end of the cruise, we received a special offer for $40 for 40 pieces of laundry.

When we inquired at Guest Services, they could not adjust what we paid for vs the offer on board.

Don't know if the offer is standard with all MSC cruises, but we felt like we were taken to the cleaners, as they say..

Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 7.14.26 AM.png

Edited by 4sallypat
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, 4sallypat said:

We did the pre-paid and would not do it again.

We paid $76 USD for 40 pieces before our cruise on our credit card.

They did a good job laundering, folding and hanging our clothes but the price is not a bargain.

After boarding, near the end of the cruise, we received a special offer for $40 for 40 pieces of laundry.

When we inquired at Guest Services, they could not adjust what we paid for vs the offer on board.

Don't know if the offer is standard with all MSC cruises, but we felt like we were taken to the cleaners, as they say..

Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 7.14.26 AM.png

Thank you and thats the one we are looking at.  Can you tell me how it worked?  Special bag, credit on your onboard account, etc?  Im trying to spend a little time in guest services as possible and it seems the more stuff i prebook, the more time i get to spend with them straightening things out.  We have had bad luck prepurchasing things on other cruise lines so just wondering how MSC does with prepurchases. thx

18 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Thank you and thats the one we are looking at.  Can you tell me how it worked?  Special bag, credit on your onboard account, etc?  Im trying to spend a little time in guest services as possible and it seems the more stuff i prebook, the more time i get to spend with them straightening things out.  We have had bad luck prepurchasing things on other cruise lines so just wondering how MSC does with prepurchases. thx

We're just back from the Divina. 

We'd prepaid for laundry. You just fill out the regular form, add your 20/40 pieces and we just wrote on the form PAID with a copy of the confirmation MSC had sent. We bought the package before the increase. As others have said, the new prepaid price is higher than the offer on the ship. If it were me I'd wait till I was onboard. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, 20165 said:

If you pre-pay attach the voucher to the laundry list.

Your room steward will provide the bags.

We put in 42 pieces and they didn't quibble about the overage.

If you use their special offer, then they will add that to your room charges.

Next time I will not pre-pay.

I'll wait for the offer on board.

We also have used the pre paid laundry package on MSC.

We chose the 40 item package.

This was before the big price increase.  We were told all 40 items were sent at once.

NO sending two deliveries of 20 items each.  Before Covid, this was allowed for YC guests.

When we received our laundry back, it was terrible. Barely folded and jammed back into the paper bag.

I had a pair of white jeans that were now light green. 3 T shirts and 4 underwear had rips in them.

I asked our Butler why the laundry was so terrible.

(We have had a good experience before)

He just shrugged, and said this is how it was when he picked it up.

We threw away the ruined clothes.

We will not purchase this package again.

• Like 1

Just off the Orchestra. Purchased (pre-cruise) two 40 piece packages. 

Laundry bags and 4- carbon copy order sheets were available in the cabin with more available on request from the room steward. Everything was returned washed, dried and folded AND undamaged Very pleased with the service.

As we pre-paid, nothing was entered on our guest folio. On other lines where we have complimentary laundry, the laundry charge is entered at the full amount then a separate credit entry zeroes the charge out. I found it interesting that MSC does neither. No charges or credits of any kind are entered. Kinda like it never happened. 

Laundry turned in by 0900 was returned by 1900 the following day. 

We compared the price of pre-purchase vs the cost of buying once on board with the included discount. The pre-purchase price was a few dollars less. This was all done prior to the most recent price increase.  

Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

We have used the laundry service on each cruise with our last (Grandiosa, YC, 40 piece) being the worst.  Before the garments came back pressed on a hanger. This time they were stuffed in a bag and while clean, definitely wrinkled.  They were also clearly cleaned in very hot water (no, it wasn't the extra pastries 😉).  Won't use the service again.

• Like 1

I always write, "Warm Wash, Warm Dry" on the instructions and have never had any shrinkage. 

Also, we've always had everything (except socks and underwear) returned on hangers. Even tee shirts. 

Seems that we've been lucky as such service clearly varies ship by ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, phissy said:

We also have used the pre paid laundry package on MSC.

We chose the 40 item package.

This was before the big price increase.  We were told all 40 items were sent at once.

NO sending two deliveries of 20 items each.  Before Covid, this was allowed for YC guests.

When we received our laundry back, it was terrible. Barely folded and jammed back into the paper bag.

I had a pair of white jeans that were now light green. 3 T shirts and 4 underwear had rips in them.

I asked our Butler why the laundry was so terrible.

(We have had a good experience before)

He just shrugged, and said this is how it was when he picked it up.

We threw away the ruined clothes.

We will not purchase this package again.

Oh wow! Your clothes had rips?! I pre-purchased a package for our cruise in September. We've used it before and never had issues. Now I'm going to be really careful about what I send. I've never sent anything too delicate, but sometimes I'd send my nicer tees, etc.

Funny, I've been jumping between the MSC and HAL boards, we have cruises booked on both. It will be our first time with HAL and there's a thread on their board about how wonderful the laundry service is. Socks and underwear perfect folded and separated with tissue paper. People sending nicer tops and asking for cold wash and air dry, and they follow the instructions. Threads are like night and day. 😆

2 hours ago, jules815 said:

Oh wow! Your clothes had rips?! I pre-purchased a package for our cruise in September. We've used it before and never had issues. Now I'm going to be really careful about what I send. I've never sent anything too delicate, but sometimes I'd send my nicer tees, etc.

Funny, I've been jumping between the MSC and HAL boards, we have cruises booked on both. It will be our first time with HAL and there's a thread on their board about how wonderful the laundry service is. Socks and underwear perfect folded and separated with tissue paper. People sending nicer tops and asking for cold wash and air dry, and they follow the instructions. Threads are like night and day. 😆

Jules, I know! - we were also shocked when our clothes came back. 
At first, just in disbelief at what I found.

We were in YC, and I asked Butler if it is normally the case that laundry is returned stuffed back in paperbag.

I remember hangers and nicely folded pants etc.

NCL returned laundry in basket wrapped with tissue paper.

I took pics of damage, then decided  it was not worth my time or energy so, just tossed them.  Someone posted that we should take older t shirts and underwear and just toss instead of laundering .🤣

we have used MSC laundry package before with excellent results. We usually do longer cruises or B2B.   
We also have status with NCL and get free laundry with cruise. They do a great job. 
I do  like the idea of writing instructions like warm wash , warm dry or line dry.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

My wife and I just discussed this, and we are wondering if a pair of socks counts as 1 item, or 2?

Then she asked me, "If I just put a bunch of socks in a small bag, will they count that as 1 item?" I assumed that they probably are onto someone gaming the system like that, and would open the bag and count the items inside.

On 6/5/2023 at 2:40 PM, Bestbubba said:

We're just back from the Divina. 

We'd prepaid for laundry. You just fill out the regular form, add your 20/40 pieces and we just wrote on the form PAID with a copy of the confirmation MSC had sent. We bought the package before the increase. As others have said, the new prepaid price is higher than the offer on the ship. If it were me I'd wait till I was onboard. 

This was my experience onboard the Divina T/A to Barcelona. I prepaid the 20 pieces (prior to the price increase). Guest Serviced said to complete the form in the cabin, put the items in the bag and place the form & bag on the bed. I did note on the form that I had the prepaid package. The items were returned within 48 hours, clean, pressed & on hangars or folded, as requested. There was no damage or issues with any items. I will use the service again on my fall T/A, but will wait until I get onboard to purchase the special offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tscoffey said:

My wife and I just discussed this, and we are wondering if a pair of socks counts as 1 item, or 2?

Then she asked me, "If I just put a bunch of socks in a small bag, will they count that as 1 item?" I assumed that they probably are onto someone gaming the system like that, and would open the bag and count the items inside.

1pr socks = 1 item