Pizza on the Jewel.

krufrank

New to NCL but not to cruising. Every line we’ve cruised on had a place to get pizza (use to be 24-Hours but alas no more such hours). But I can’t seem to find where one gets a quick pizza slice on the Jewel. Is this not a thing with NCL?

4 minutes ago, krufrank said:

My understanding is you pay for room service on NCL. Is this true? 

Yes, a convenience fee (service charge, I suppose). I believe it's $9.95, regardless of number of items you order.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yes, a convenience fee (service charge, I suppose). I believe it's $9.95, regardless of number of items you order.

Hmmmm. From my vantage point as a new NCL’er it appears they price gauge at all turns. I couldn’t believe the cost of the excursions offered on board. 🤦‍♂️

You can get pizza on the Jewel at the Garden Cafe both at lunch and at dinner.  The Jewel has a great buffet pizza chef!  The former captain, Giorgio, who is from Italy, loved it.  That said, he would not eat pizza with pineapple and the staff continues to text him whenever they make a pineapple pizza.

La Cucina on the Jewel also has pizza.  It hasn’t always been great but at the beginning of May we had it twice and it was excellent. 

The Jewel has outstanding F and B managers so the quality of food is high.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krufrank said:

Hmmmm. From my vantage point as a new NCL’er it appears they price gauge at all turns. I couldn’t believe the cost of the excursions offered on board. 🤦‍♂️

If you’re going to Alaska, yes, the prices of excursions are high.  I can recommend some great options if needed.

20 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

If you’re going to Alaska, yes, the prices of excursions are high.  I can recommend some great options if needed.

Unbelievably high. LOL. We were hoping to secure excursions NOT through NCL. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

23 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

The Jewel has a great buffet pizza chef!  

We will for sure check it out. We usually avoid buffets on other cruise lines - love eating in MD and the burger/hotdog/fish+chips places. But will try and see how NCL buffet stacks up against others (the bar is set very low IMO - LOL). My wife loves pizza and was disappointed not to see a pizza joint. 

• Like 1

I've been on the Jewel several times.  My daughter loves grabbing a slice of pizza from the late-night buffet.  The dates didn't work out for the Jewel this year, so we will be trying the Spirit for the first time, but we compare the service on every ship to the Jewel.  She was our first cruise, so holds a special place, and so far is our favorite NCL ship and crew (especially because of the crew).

For excursions in Alaska, I have had good luck booking through Alaska Shore Tours. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yes, a convenience fee 

As they say on CC..."For your convenience, of course."

By the way, the pizza picture you posted under the "other" pizza thread (La Cucina on the Escape) looked pretty yummy.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KDebreuil said:

I've been on the Jewel several times.  My daughter loves grabbing a slice of pizza from the late-night buffet.  The dates didn't work out for the Jewel this year, so we will be trying the Spirit for the first time, but we compare the service on every ship to the Jewel.  She was our first cruise, so holds a special place, and so far is our favorite NCL ship and crew (especially because of the crew).

For excursions in Alaska, I have had good luck booking through Alaska Shore Tours. 

There is no longer a late night buffet on NCL ships.  If you’re going to be hungry after 9:30, take some food from the Garden Cafe back to your cabin or try to eat at O’Sheehan’s/The Local.  Reducing the buffet hours has been one of NCL’s cost-cutting moves.  I miss the buffet being open until 11:00pm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, krufrank said:

Unbelievably high. LOL. We were hoping to secure excursions NOT through NCL. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

Hi!

For shore excursions, these are my recommendations.  I’ll give a budget friendly one and a more expensive one for each port.  I’m terrified of helicopters so have never done the helicopter landing on a glacier.

Ketchikan: 

budget friendly= Alaskan Lumberjack show booked directly through the company.  NCL docks at Ward Cove and there is a free shuttle to berth 4.  From there it’s about a 15-20 minute walk to the Lumberjack show.  Then go and explore Creek Street if you like shopping.  If you’d like a beautiful walk, do the Married Man Trail.  
best shore excursion I’ve ever done was in Ketchikan this past May.  It’s the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman’s tour.  I booked directly with the company and they picked us up at Ward Cove.

I also loved all the kayaking excursions in Ketchikan but they are ridiculously expensive now.  There is a visitor centre on the wharf in downtown Ketchikan but the prices are aligned with the cruise ships.  For my upcoming cruise on NCL I have booked a private excursion with  Ketchikan Photo Safari.  Great prices and a small group.

There is also the Ketchikan Pub crawl and you can find them on Instagram or just google. Way cheaper to book directly with them.

The Misty Fjords boat tour isn’t worth it.

Juneau

budget: NCL usually (but not always) docks at AJ dock. There is a 5 minute free shuttle to the base of the tram. This is where all the tour providers will be set up in wooden kiosks.  You can get a city tour that includes Mendenhall glacier for less than $40 per person.  Great tour and if it’s a nice day there is a hike to the waterfall when you are at Mendenhall glacier.

The Mt. Roberts tram ticket is good all day.  If you go up and down a few times it’s great value for money.  Only do the tram if it is nice weather. You can buy directly at the tram but if you have the $50 off the first person in the cabin for your shore excursions it will work out cheaper to purchase on board the ship.

If you want to do whale watching in Juneau, I highly, highly, highly recommend booking with Jayleen.  She was born and raised in Juneau and knows every whale’s story and history.  I follow her on Instagram and delight in her daily whale photos.  If she is fully booked up (she is popular!) she will send you a list of other local whale watching companies. One is Harv and Marv and they get great reviews.  Booking locally will save you hundreds as compared to booking through the ship.  It is about a 35 minute drive from downtown Juneau to Auke Bay.  Jayleen will pick you up at the pier where your ship docks.

In Juneau, make sure you go to Alaskan Fudge Company.  Try their truffles.  They are huge and amazing.

Skagway

budget: Ghosts and Good Time Girls walking tour booked directly through the Red Onion Saloon

or

Skagway Street car tour booked once you are in Skagway.  There is a tour booth across the street from the train engine where people stop to take photos.

I do recommend the train, but more so in May than at other times of the year.  If you’re eager to do the train, the 2 hour and 45 minute ride is long enough.  You can book the train at the depot right in Skagway.  Take snacks and dress in layers because the train cars are heated (like a pizza oven!)

If you want a gorgeous (free!) walk, head to Yakutania Point or Lower Dewey Lake.  If you want a beer in a touristy place, go to Skagway Brewing Co.  If you want a beer in a non touristy local brewery, go to the Klondike Brewing company. If you want fudge, buy it in Juneau!

Icy Strait Point

If you do whale watching in Juneau, you don’t need to do it again in ISP.  If you don’t do whale watching in Juneau consider doing so in ISP.  If you prefer to book privately the company a lot of people recommend is Glacier Wind Charters.  If you book through NCL they use Allen Marine and the larger boats come up from Juneau. We have had good experiences with Allen Marine and I do recommend them.  

The gondola in ISP goes up Mt. Hoonah and there is a guided walk to and around Lost Lake. It’s beautiful but crowded and not peaceful.  If you have the $50 off it is cheaper to book the gondola through NCL.  Rides are unlimited.

There is a free transporter gondola that goes from Adventure landing to Wilderness landing. It is about a five minute ride but I like it.

My favourite shore ex in ISP is the whale watching followed by the Spasski River bear walk.  Prices are comparable through NCL and through the tour providers ashore.  Unlike the other ports, you can’t book an NCL shore excursion once the ship docks in ISP so you won’t get the discount unless you book before the ship docks.  Be prepared for crummy old school buses and potholes for most shore excursions in ISP.  If you’re female, wear a sturdy sports bra.

You don’t need to book an excursion in ISP though.  You may like walking on the beach or exploring the cannery museum or having a crab leg Bloody Mary at the restaurant. The restaurants are all owned by the same company.  Further, ISP was developed as a port by NCL. They paid for the pier and have worked with the Huna (Hoonah) nation to develop both the port and the shore excursions.

If your ship goes to Seward, do not miss an opportunity to go into the Kenai Fjords.  Both Major Marine and Kenai Fjords Tours are outstanding. I have booked with both companies before and had phenomenal experiences with both.  I also recommend taking the free Seward shuttle to the last stop which is the Alaska Sea Life Centre.

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Pizza on NCL mostly a miss.  Don't expect any consistency from same ship or across fleet.

We had great pizza on Star once then next time no.  Best actually on POA as they have oven in buffet.  Go for room service.  Last two times on Prima and Gem pretty good.  Prima buffet mostly thick crust, no toppings.  One day did have thinner crust.

9 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi!

For shore excursions, these are my recommendations.  I’ll give a budget friendly one and a more expensive one for each port.  I’m terrified of helicopters so have never done the helicopter landing on a glacier.

Ketchikan: 

budget friendly= Alaskan Lumberjack show booked directly through the company.  NCL docks at Ward Cove and there is a free shuttle to berth 4.  From there it’s about a 15-20 minute walk to the Lumberjack show.  Then go and explore Creek Street if you like shopping.  If you’d like a beautiful walk, do the Married Man Trail.  
best shore excursion I’ve ever done was in Ketchikan this past May.  It’s the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman’s tour.  I booked directly with the company and they picked us up at Ward Cove.

I also loved all the kayaking excursions in Ketchikan but they are ridiculously expensive now.  There is a visitor centre on the wharf in downtown Ketchikan but the prices are aligned with the cruise ships.  For my upcoming cruise on NCL I have booked a private excursion with  Ketchikan Photo Safari.  Great prices and a small group.

There is also the Ketchikan Pub crawl and you can find them on Instagram or just google. Way cheaper to book directly with them.

Juneau

budget: NCL usually (but not always) docks at AJ dock. There is a 5 minute free shuttle to the base of the tram. This is where all the tour providers will be set up in wooden kiosks.  You can get a city tour that includes Mendenhall glacier for less than $40 per person.  Great tour and if it’s a nice day there is a hike to the waterfall when you are at Mendenhall glacier.

The Mt. Roberts tram ticket is good all day.  If you go up and down a few times it’s great value for money.  Only do the tram if it is nice weather. You can buy directly at the tram but if you have the $50 off the first person in the cabin for your shore excursions it will work out cheaper to purchase on board the ship.

If you want to do whale watching in Juneau, I highly, highly, highly recommend booking with Jayleen.  She was born and raised in Juneau and knows every whale’s story and history.  I follow her on Instagram and delight in her daily whale photos.  If she is fully booked up (she is popular!) she will send you a list of other local whale watching companies. One is Harv and Marv and they get great reviews.  Booking locally will save you hundreds as compared to booking through the ship.  It is about a 35 minute drive from downtown Juneau to Auke Bay.  Jayleen will pick you up at the pier where your ship docks.

In Juneau, make sure you go to Alaskan Fudge Company.  Try their truffles.  They are huge and amazing.

Skagway

budget: Ghosts and Good Time Girls walking tour booked directly through the Red Onion Saloon

or

Skagway Street car tour booked once you are in Skagway.  There is a tour booth across the street from the train engine where people stop to take photos.

I do recommend the train, but more so in May than at other times of the year.  If you’re eager to do the train, the 2 hour and 45 minute ride is long enough.  You can book the train at the depot right in Skagway.  Take snacks and dress in layers because the train cars are heated (like a pizza oven!)

If you want a gorgeous (free!) walk, head to Yakutania Point or Lower Dewey Lake.  If you want a beer in a touristy place, go to Skagway Brewing Co.  If you want a beer in a non touristy local brewery, go to the Klondike Brewing company. If you want fudge, buy it in Juneau!

Icy Strait Point

If you do whale watching in Juneau, you don’t need to do it again in ISP.  If you don’t do whale watching in Juneau consider doing so in ISP.  If you prefer to book privately the company a lot of people recommend is Glacier Wind Charters.  If you book through NCL they use Allen Marine and the larger boats come up from Juneau. We have had good experiences with Allen Marine and I do recommend them.  

The gondola in ISP goes up Mt. Hoonah and there is a guided walk to and around Lost Lake. It’s beautiful but crowded and not peaceful.  If you have the $50 off it is cheaper to book the gondola through NCL.  Rides are unlimited.

There is a free transporter gondola that goes from Adventure landing to Wilderness landing. It is about a five minute ride but I like it.

My favourite shore ex in ISP is the whale watching followed by the Spasski River bear walk.  Prices are comparable through NCL and through the tour providers ashore.  Unlike the other ports, you can’t book an NCL shore excursion once the ship docks in ISP so you won’t get the discount unless you book before the ship docks.  Be prepared for crummy old school buses and potholes for most shore excursions in ISP.  If you’re female, wear a sturdy sports bra.

You don’t need to book an excursion in ISP though.  You may like walking on the beach or exploring the cannery museum or having a crab leg Bloody Mary at the restaurant. The restaurants are all owned by the same company.  Further, ISP was developed as a port by NCL. They paid for the pier and have worked with the Huna (Hoonah) nation to develop both the port and the shore excursions.

If your ship goes to Seward, do not miss an opportunity to go into the Kenai Fjords.  Both Major Marine and Kenai Fjords Tours are outstanding. I have booked with both companies before and had phenomenal experiences with both.  I also recommend taking the free Seward shuttle to the last stop which is the Alaska Sea Life Centre.

What a great list. When we finally push that button to purchase an Alaska cruise, I'll be coming back to this thread for this. Thank you for spending the time putting it together! I know a lot of it is in your reviews, but what a nice, concise list of really great excursions. Thank you!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Hi!

Thank you for the tips.  We did check out Alaska Shore Tours and ended up booking 3 different things:

Ketchikan: Mountain Lake Helicopter Tour

Juneau: Juneau City and Glacier Tour

Skagway: Scenic River Float Tour

All say they pick up at the respective docks - even Ketchikan. The website asks what cruise you are on and caters the choices to the correct schedule.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

On our NCL cruises they had several pizzas available in one corner of the Garden Café each day. All tasted pretty good to me, but the pizza we ordered at La Cucina were out of this world!

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 1:07 PM, krufrank said:

New to NCL but not to cruising. Every line we’ve cruised on had a place to get pizza (use to be 24-Hours but alas no more such hours). But I can’t seem to find where one gets a quick pizza slice on the Jewel. Is this not a thing with NCL?

On a recent Breakaway cruise, there was pizza on the buffet all the time. I pretty much hated most of the buffet food, but I thought the pizza was good, even though the crust was quite different from what I am used to: it was very "floppy."

On 6/8/2023 at 10:22 PM, YVRteacher said:

Hi!

Ketchikan: 

Juneau

Skagway

or

Icy Strait Point

Great list.

BTW….I was really surprised about the pizza in the Garden Cafe.  Boutique style pizza?  Nope.  But, it’s really good, nonetheless.

Generally speaking, using the excursion credit and the discount you get if you’re latitudes, the excursions aren’t a bad deal.

• Like 2