Maui and Oahu Diving

mahdnc

We have a Transpacific cruise that will spend one day at Lahaina and then will terminate at Honolulu on the next day.  We are likely to spend an additional couple of nights in Oahu with the specific location tbd.

I would appreciate any dive shop recommendations for my wife and I.  We enjoy shallow reef diving and are not into wreck diving.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience.  @Mauidiver, @omeinv

For Maui, I last used Maui Diving and Snorkeling.  I've also used Lahaina Divers in the past.  Both are good, although - at least when I was last there - Lahaina Divers had one of those huge Newton 46' boats; and thus had a lot of divers going out.  I haven't dove wiht Maui Diving in years, but we refer a fair number of students to them for their Certification dives, and all seem happy.  (https://mauidiving.com/)

My favorite dive there is Mala Wharf.  It's a collapsed pier (knocked over by Hurricane Iniki in the 1990's).  The coral has done well on the collapsed structure, and you can almost bet on seeing turtles and reef sharks.  The max. depth is only about 35-40 feet, so you get a nice long dive and plenty to explore.  Since it's fairly shallow it's often dive operator's second dive, but my experience is that it's been better than the first dive every time I've been there.  If I were trying to put something togeher, I'd ask about doing Molikini Crater (the inside side) and then Mala Wharf.  They may not be able to accommodate that for you on a ship. 

Oahu is a little tougher, again I haven't been there is years.  A favorite of mine there is the Corsair plane wreck dive, but it's not everyone's cup of tea; and it sounds like it wouldn't be yours.  I've not dove with them, but have had very positive reports from customers regarding Island Divers.  They have a location at Hawaii Kai, which puts their marina right at some of the nicer reefs.   Hawaii Kai is probably about 20-30 minutes from the cruise port. (https://www.oahuscubadiving.com/)

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On Oahu, we dove in Shark's Cove on the North Shore (with Banzai Divers Hawaii) - saw white-tipped sharks in the lava tubes, octopus, and turtles.  Fairly shallow with rich coral, sea life, good visibility.

Edited by Maverick!
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

For Maui, I have had good experiences with B&B Scuba out of Kihei. It looks like a lot of the dive scene is on hold due to the fire that wiped out Lahaina. Not sure when you'll be here on your cruise, but going out of Kihei to Molokini Crater is a wonderful dive.

On Oahu I second Island Divers Hawaii out of Hawaii Kai. Their afternoon dives do the shallower reefs and are wonderful.