Avoiding Malaria Meds on a South Africa Cruise

We are considering a Cruise on the Voyager in Feb of 2026 from Cape Town to Dubai with ports in South Africa, Madagascar, Oman, and Dubai among others. We are anxious to get your experience on the need for Malaria meds, or any other vaccinations before and during this cruise. We would like to take an African Safari while on this cruise.

We understand the need to consult our Physician in light of pre-existing conditions, but would love to hear your experience with any medical problems after an African Cruise. We found out that  we are both allergic to Malarone on a cruise to southeast Asia.  I guess our real question is has anyone not taken anything and gone on this trip, and how did you do?

We have done three lengthy cruise / land trips to Africa with safaris in Kenya, Tanzania and S Africa. We were in Malarial parts too long to safely take the newer drugs. Our Dr gave us doxycycline for Malaria prevention. I wasn’t comfortable with the side effects listed with the more popular meds. It is an old fashion drug for prevention but does work. We also always travel it it to treat GI bugs at our Dr suggestion.

Go to you travel Dr and follow he suggestion but if you do a safari in Malaria country take something. We were bitten and more than once. Why risk it.

We though we would do one and done as far as the safari was concerned but we had a ball. We were 74 on our last trip.

1 hour ago, cwn said:

We have done three lengthy cruise / land trips to Africa with safaris in Kenya, Tanzania and S Africa. We were in Malarial parts too long to safely take the newer drugs. Our Dr gave us doxycycline for Malaria prevention. I wasn’t comfortable with the side effects listed with the more popular meds. It is an old fashion drug for prevention but does work. We also always travel it it to treat GI bugs at our Dr suggestion.

Go to you travel Dr and follow he suggestion but if you do a safari in Malaria country take something. We were bitten and more than once. Why risk it.

We though we would do one and done as far as the safari was concerned but we had a ball. We were 74 on our last trip.

I've never heard of a Regent client getting malaria. Also, be careful of Doxycycline (or anything in that family) as it will make your skin photosensitive and you can literally cook your middle layers of skin tissue and wind up in hospital...especially near the equator. Having said all that, our drug of choice (for this purpose) is Atovaquone/Proguanil (Malarone).

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

I've never heard of a Regent client getting malaria. Also, be careful of Doxycycline (or anything in that family) as it will make your skin photosensitive and you can literally cook your middle layers of skin tissue and wind up in hospital...especially near the equator. Having said all that, our drug of choice (for this purpose) is Atovaquone/Proguanil (Malarone).

As the op said they can’t take malarone and we decided not to use it and the other newer drugs with our Drs advice because of side effects. There is a sun warning with Docy, but at our age we have taken it for years and never had that problem and we don’t stay out in sun either. Also it is a good protection for GI problems.
But as has been said you should trust your Dr and not CC in medical matters. 
You never know if the mosquitoes that bits you around the campfire is a carrier or not. It is pretty sweeping statement that no Regent person has ever contracted Malaria. Since it takes time to develop after once bitten.

8 hours ago, cwn said:

As the op said they can’t take malarone and we decided not to use it and the other newer drugs with our Drs advice because of side effects. There is a sun warning with Docy, but at our age we have taken it for years and never had that problem and we don’t stay out in sun either. Also it is a good protection for GI problems.
But as has been said you should trust your Dr and not CC in medical matters. 
You never know if the mosquitoes that bits you around the campfire is a carrier or not. It is pretty sweeping statement that no Regent person has ever contracted Malaria. Since it takes time to develop after once bitten.

I didnt say no Regent passenger has ever gotten it....just that i have never heard of anyone getting it. I am no expert but i read a lot and hear more than I read...if it was common we would know. I dont even think the crew takes it.

Same issue and same solution.  Our physician prescribed doxycycline.  And yes there is the Sun warning. 

You really need to balance risk versus reward and port, time of day and excursion dependent, and time of year.

Having been to Capetown, the Southern South Africa coast, etc.  I have never found the need to use any Anti Malaria medication.  I would find it more appropriate to use an insect repellent where their would be possible mosquito occurrences.

Edited by PaulMCO
  • Like 1

We were on the Cape Town to Cape Town this last December.  I attract mosquitos.  I got a couple of "chigger" bites on my ankles one evening as we were heading back to the transport from a sunset cruise.  I took a shortcut across a bunch of grass instead of the using the walkway. We had no other issues, bring a good repellant.

Malaria is only an issue in the northern parts of S Africa. Many parts / safari camps are malaria free in South Africa. 
If  you do not plan an over land safari or evening activities in a Malarial area SAfrica/Africa you are probably safe with no meds. 
We on CC are not Drs. Talk your plans with a Travel Dr. We always do. We have done overland safaris to Kruger and Saba Sands both Malaria areas in SAfrica, also Aldo Elephant Park and cruise day trips to parks outside of Durban and new London.All are wonderful!!

• 2 weeks later...

We were in South Africa last December on both Regent and our own planned land trips and on the advice of our physician took the medication to prevent malaria.  We did not have any side effects that we were told about.  After about 15 days of taking the medication (almost at the end of our dosage), I became unable to eat.  After a couple of days of getting weaker and weaker, I visited the Regent ship doctor.  Took my medical history and told me that I had developed a toxcicity to the medication.  He explained that the medication does more good than harm but that some people develope this situation.  Nothing to be alarmed about.  Stay on a white diet for 3 days, drink lots of fluid and you will fine.  Compass Rose has a white diet menu.