Venice (Fusina Port): Is it worth trying to go to Venice on day 1 (right after we board the ship)?

GCBK10905

For those who had trips that started in Venice (Fusina) in the past, has anyone gotten onto the ship and attempted to go to Venice right after they checked in?

We fly in at 9:30am so anticipate we'd get to the ship by 11:30ish. Hoping to go over to Venice for the day but have no idea if it's feasible. Below is what Viking sent back when I asked them if there would be any transportation that first day.

So, looking to see if anyone here took advantage of that day and ventured out. I realize we will be jetlagged and tired but we also want to see as much as we can given Day 2 in Venice is quite short (ship leaves at 3pm) - just curious if it's worth attempting and what people's experiences were. Thanks for any insight!

From Viking Customer Service:
Fusina is approximately 30min drive to the Venetian Lagoon. A motor-coach shuttle is available for guest who wish to explore Venice Independently. Schedules of shuttle would be available once you are onboard. Taxis are available from the port if preferred to venture out.

Venice is a wonderful city and it is even better if you are there in the late afternoon or evening after the boat tourists are gone and it is not wall to wall cruisers.  Get there a few days early and enjoy the polace.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Venice is a wonderful city and it is even better if you are there in the late afternoon or evening after the boat tourists are gone and it is not wall to wall cruisers.  Get there a few days early and enjoy the polace.

DON

I second this. If it’s at all possible, try to fly into Venice a day or two early and stay there. The evening and early morning hours are magical.

• Like 1

We stayed two nights in Mestre ( a whole lot cheaper than Venice) and took the bus into Venice (bus station is near the old cruise terminal where you will check in).  We caught a vaporetto to St. Mark’s Square from the bus station.  Quick, easy and you can spend all the time you want.  Fusina is a commercial port and you will not be able to take a taxi to/from there.  The Viking bus goes between the old cruise terminal (near the bus/train stations) to/from Fusina.  

We just returned from a sailing RT using Fusina.   We spent 4 nights right in Venice pre and are so grateful that we did. It is an entirely different experience in the Mornings, and then again late afternoons and evenings. Midday - it’s just jammed. Btw - purchase St Marks tickets online ahead of time directly from the website. Will save you enormous time to skip the line and add the museum upstairs to your ticket!

We were not on Viking, but the port authority controls this for Fusina - 

If you are going directly from the Airport to the ship,  you will drive from the mainland across the causeway, to Venice where the old cruise terminal is. If you are staying in the city of Venice or Maestro you will still need to go to the old cruise terminal in Venice. There you will check in and clear security. Then you will take a bus from the cruise terminal, back across that same causeway to the Fusina port where you will board the ship. So your transfer time of each leg is 30 min, plus check in time and bus on/off wait time. It is non optional. It’s a pain but I guess better than the further out alternatives for Venice. 

I would suggest you ask Viking where their shuttles will be taking you in Venice that afternoon. It may be because it is embarkation day that they will only be taking you back to the old cruise terminal. If it is, then you will still need to get into the city. When we disembarked on Wednesday, there were no readily available cabs. I do not know if that will be different for your date. Option B is to take a water taxi from the cruise terminal to Marco Polo which is $100 euro. If you wish to do that try to find a way to pre-order one as they were not readily waiting at a basically empty cruise terminal.
We were spending the night on return at a hotel next to the airport, so we took the ship shuttle bus across the causeway to the airport, cab to hotel, then public bus back across the causeway to spend a few more hours in Venice (nothing to do at the hotel) and back again for our 6a flight the next day. 

I am only sharing all of this because I did not fully realize the logistics prior. Viking will surely have shuttle busses to the bus station on Venice island for your port day, where you can walk or take public water taxis to various parts of the city. I would just confirm for embarkation day where their shuttle busses from the ship will take you.
 Bring great walking shoes and enjoy!  It’s wonderful! 

I have to really agree.  Venice is such a special place and gets more special after all the day trippers leave.  The locals come out and everything relaxes.  So glad we paid the price and stayed there a few nights.