Barely Live review Iona to the Fjords 10/6

Deeliteful

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Woe...another from Deeliteful! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

Deeliteful was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Day 1

Hello 

I will try and write a “live” review and let you know my thoughts on the ship and the ports.

I am cruising with my friend Lynda who has cruised before but never to the Fjords, this is my 3rd cruise to the Fjords and 33rd cruise in total.

We caught the coach at Wetherby and had a driver with a sense of humour, although we weren’t sure at first when he told us there will be no comfort breaks, toilet on board was for emergencies and liquids only! 😱

The trip was fine until we got to Southampton and it was so busy. We didn’t get to board until almost 4 pm.

Our cabin is 11712 with a fabulous corner balcony. Will put some pics up later.

Bed was not split into twins but our steward sorted that out pretty quickly.

We were pretty tired but needed a drink! So thanks to a previous reviewer we had wine and cocktails at the bar in Sindhu - thank you, good call.

We went to the MDR for dinner, Coral I think and had just main and dessert, none of the starters appealed. I had roast lamb which was tender and delicious. Lynda asked for the Sammon (that’s how it was spelt!) our waiter laughed and said it was Gammon, she thoroughly enjoyed it. Passion fruit meringue and sticky toffee pudding to finish, both lovely.

Back to our cabin for G&Ts on the balcony on a calm and balmy evening.

First impressions of the ship - very light and airy everywhere. Food and drinks great, doesn’t feel crowded. 5* so far.

• Like 14

Some pics of the cabin, balcony and sunset.

We bought the Bon voyage package which includes Champagne, flowers, chocolates. bathrobes and slippers, breakfast in bed with half bottle champagne and a formal pic! We thought that was great value.

IMG_8540.jpeg

IMG_8543.jpeg

IMG_8544.jpeg

IMG_8546.jpeg

IMG_8548.jpeg

IMG_8539.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Deeliteful said:

Day 1

Hello 

I will try and write a “live” review and let you know my thoughts on the ship and the ports.

I am cruising with my friend Lynda who has cruised before but never to the Fjords, this is my 3rd cruise to the Fjords and 33rd cruise in total.

We caught the coach at Wetherby and had a driver with a sense of humour, although we weren’t sure at first when he told us there will be no comfort breaks, toilet on board was for emergencies and liquids only! 😱

The trip was fine until we got to Southampton and it was so busy. We didn’t get to board until almost 4 pm.

Our cabin is 11712 with a fabulous corner balcony. Will put some pics up later.

Bed was not split into twins but our steward sorted that out pretty quickly.

We were pretty tired but needed a drink! So thanks to a previous reviewer we had wine and cocktails at the bar in Sindhu - thank you, good call.

We went to the MDR for dinner, Coral I think and had just main and dessert, none of the starters appealed. I had roast lamb which was tender and delicious. Lynda asked for the Sammon (that’s how it was spelt!) our waiter laughed and said it was Gammon, she thoroughly enjoyed it. Passion fruit meringue and sticky toffee pudding to finish, both lovely.

Back to our cabin for G&Ts on the balcony on a calm and balmy evening.

First impressions of the ship - very light and airy everywhere. Food and drinks great, doesn’t feel crowded. 5* so far.

I shall look forward to following your thread as we are on this cruise in August.

I will be very interested to hear how you find the main dining rooms, especially on the formal night (Day 2?). Are you seeking a table for 2 and, if so, how long is it taking from joining the virtual queue? Reports seem to vary wildly. Those who like to dine very early seem to have no issues, but those who prefer to dine later (as we do - usually around 8/8.30pm) can encounter problems. 

Have a great cruise. Your balcony looks lovely! 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Brilliant keep the information coming. 

Have you been able to get any bookings for 710 club?

No all booked up but will try and get in one evening 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I shall look forward to following your thread as we are on this cruise in August.

I will be very interested to hear how you find the main dining rooms, especially on the formal night (Day 2?). Are you seeking a table for 2 and, if so, how long is it taking from joining the virtual queue? Reports seem to vary wildly. Those who like to dine very early seem to have no issues, but those who prefer to dine later (as we do - usually around 8/8.30pm) can encounter problems. 

Have a great cruise. Your balcony looks lovely! 

We ate in Epicurian tonight (Celebration night) anc can highly recommend. Wonderful food, great service and lovely ambience.

We ate in one of the MDRs last night about 8 pm and walked straight in and had table for 2.

Will report back for other nights. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Deeliteful said:

We ate in Epicurian tonight (Celebration night) anc can highly recommend. Wonderful food, great service and lovely ambience.

We ate in one of the MDRs last night about 8 pm and walked straight in and had table for 2.

Will report back for other nights. 

So pleased to hear that you enjoyed Epicurean. Prior to Covid, Epicurean on Britannia was our favourite restaurant at sea. I had read one or two reviews saying that it wasn’t as good now, but the last two or three people to feedback (including yourself) have been extremely positive, so my faith is restored and we are very much looking forward to it in August! Did you make the reservation in the 2 week booking window before the cruise or whilst on board?

Interesting that you walked straight in to an MDR, presumably without joining a virtual queue? We were thinking of just using the MDR on the formal night (for the better menu), but we know that demand will be much higher that night. If you don’t experience long delays during the rest of the cruise we might consider a second night in the MDR. I will be interested to hear how you find the meals in the MDR. There have been a number of reviews recently saying that MDR meals aren’t great, but I don’t think any of those reviews were from Iona. 

• Like 2

Day 2

This was a sea day and after such a long day yesterday, a lie in was the order of the day,

This is the first cruise that I have unpacked on Day 2!

After unpacking we thought we would go to breakfast or brunch but our timings were out and eventually got to Horizon for lunch at 12.

The roast pork looked amazing so we went for that with potatoes and veg. Unfortunately it was very tough 😕 so got a salad with beef and chicken and that was great as were the puds - lemon posset with rhubarb compote and steamed syrup pudding with custard😋

I then joined the Blackjack tournament whilst Lynda started to explore the ship.

Didn’t get far with BJ so met up with Lynda for coffee and cake in the Atrium. Good coffee but cakes a bit meh!

As tonight was Celebration night we had pre/ booked Epicurian and as above it was really excellent - we had menu 1 and everything was fantastic. Trying to book again but no luck so far.

Certainly a great day. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Day 3 Stavanger

As it was an early start for us we had breakfast delivered, just juices and cereal.

We had a private cruise booked with Rodne cruises booked pre cruise to see Lysefjord and Pulpit rock.

It was a 3 hour trip, weather was amazing and the scenery was stunning.

We had lunch at the port in a restaurant called Fisketorget which was excellent not quite Epicurian standard but delicious nonetheless. For one course with a glass of wine just 450 NK but my 2 courses with beer 1005 NK 

Back on the ship we are now just taking it easy whilst waiting for some latecomers to join the ship so that we can leave!

Will report on this evening later but will probably be a quiet one.
Some pics on fjord cruise and lunch.

IMG_8570.jpeg

IMG_8575.jpeg

IMG_8580.jpeg

IMG_8585.jpeg

IMG_8588.jpeg

IMG_8591.jpeg

IMG_8592.jpeg

IMG_8594.jpeg

IMG_8595.jpeg

IMG_8596.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Day 4 Beautiful Olden

Will update later but tempt you with a couple of pics of sail in.

Dinner last night in MDR Coral, very noisy able to walk in though just a small queue 8 pm. Some hits and misses with food but nothing worth getting upset about.

Watched the comedian Rory O’Hanlan, in the club house, very good.

Off to the Sky Lift soon so update later. 

IMG_8601.jpeg

IMG_8599.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Day 4 Continued

Walked to the bridge to the right of the ship and enjoyed a coffee in the cafe there Yris I think definitely more built up than my last visit.

Lunch in the glass house pre lift, very nice.

Left the ship at 2.30 to get the shuttle to the Sky Lift.

If you only do one trip here do the Sky Lift, it is so beautiful. The view are just stunning and we have glorious weather again today.

We booked direct with Olden Adventures before we came.

A gin and champagne cocktail at the top after taking many pics and back to the ship before 4.30 sail away 5.30 

some pics for your delectation!

aff3ffe1-babd-41e3-8bfa-acc865c55343.jpeg

IMG_8635.jpeg

IMG_8632.jpeg

IMG_8630.jpeg

IMG_8619.jpeg

IMG_8623.jpeg

IMG_8621.jpeg

IMG_8617.jpeg

IMG_8611.jpeg

IMG_8606.jpeg

IMG_8608.jpeg

• Like 18

Day 4 finale

So we watched the beautiful scenic sail away from our balcony, G&Ts in hand!

We struggled to in anywhere for dinner as did not want MDR tonight so ended up 

back in the Glass House and we were so pleased we did. Food, service, ambience was just top notch 5* for sure. The end to a really perfect day.

When we thanked our lovely waiter, Paul, he said why are you leaving - the night is young. I replied unfortunately we’re not but we had a really fantastic day 😂❤️

So off to sleep now, catch up tomorrow. Night, night. 

IMG_8637.jpeg

IMG_8639.jpeg

IMG_8640.jpeg

IMG_8641.jpeg

IMG_8642.jpeg

IMG_8644.jpeg

IMG_8645.jpeg

IMG_8647.jpeg

IMG_8646.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2023 at 10:34 PM, Deeliteful said:

No all booked up but will try and get in one evening 

If you hang about in the Emerald Bar, the doors open thirty minutes before the show. When they do, pop and speak with the host; they will take your name and cabin number and ask you to return about ten minutes before the show starts; if there is room you will be let in. The other night there were seven couples that got on that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Deeliteful said:

Day 4 Continued

Walked to the bridge to the right of the ship and enjoyed a coffee in the cafe there Yris I think definitely more built up than my last visit.

Lunch in the glass house pre lift, very nice.

Left the ship at 2.30 to get the shuttle to the Sky Lift.

If you only do one trip here do the Sky Lift, it is so beautiful. The view are just stunning and we have glorious weather again today.

We booked direct with Olden Adventures before we came.

A gin and champagne cocktail at the top after taking many pics and back to the ship before 4.30 sail away 5.30 

some pics for your delectation!

aff3ffe1-babd-41e3-8bfa-acc865c55343.jpeg

IMG_8635.jpeg

IMG_8632.jpeg

IMG_8630.jpeg

IMG_8619.jpeg

IMG_8623.jpeg

IMG_8621.jpeg

IMG_8617.jpeg

IMG_8611.jpeg

IMG_8606.jpeg

IMG_8608.jpeg

Lovely views 🙂

Wasn't it just a perfect day in Olden?

I would love to do the sky lift but no way would I get our lass up there. It's one for the future. We should have been on a trip but we cancelled it. As it turns out, it was one of those that was cancelled anyway, with the coaches not turning up.

Incidentally, how much was your tour?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TigerB said:

Lovely views 🙂

Wasn't it just a perfect day in Olden?

I would love to do the sky lift but no way would I get our lass up there. It's one for the future. We should have been on a trip but we cancelled it. As it turns out, it was one of those that was cancelled anyway, with the coaches not turning up.

Incidentally, how much was your tour?

I think the skylift is the only reasonable way to get to the sledging on the cruise. Which looks like one of the things that would most entertain my children.  It's rather pricey though,and I fear I'd be too scared of it . I'm not great with heights!

Day 5 Hellesyt

We had nothing planned for today and enjoyed the beautiful sail in. 
Had a fabulous breakfast in the MDR.

Walked to the waterfall , took lots of pics and then enjoyed a coffee.

Decided it would be a waste of a day to do nothing so booked the hoho bus for the last trip at 1.30.

Went back to the ship for a salad lunch and then hopped on the bus. Beautiful scenery throughout, glad we did it. 
Had a spa apt at 5.30 for shoulder, neck and back massage, mini facial and wash and blow dry. Fantastic value and really well done 5*
We had Sindhu booked for 8pm and we were impressed. Starter ok

but not great - you really shouldn’t deep fry lamb cutlets! Rest of meal was absolutely fantastic. 5*
Nightcap at the Glass House and that was us done.

Yet another fabulous day.

A few pics below.

Re questions. - I will never be able to check on  bingo for kids, sorry. Can’t remember price for Sky Lift but will get back to you x

IMG_8650.jpeg

IMG_8653.jpeg

IMG_8691.jpeg

IMG_8697.jpeg

IMG_8732.jpeg

IMG_8759.jpeg

IMG_8766.jpeg

IMG_8774.jpeg

IMG_8773.jpeg

IMG_8781.jpeg

IMG_8804.jpeg

IMG_8805.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Great to see 2 other posters enjoying the Fjords on Iona

I really struggle to see how anybody couldn't enjoy the cruise tbh. It's a tried and tested cruise now. Weather plays a role of course as well. Always with the caveat of avoiding school holidays if you can 

Hard to find a better value and quality cruise  anywhere right now? I would say

Nice food, nice cocktails, incredible scenery. Hard working and professional staff. Great entertainment.

We might repeat soon enough

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 5

Day 6 Haugesund

Another lovely day. Haugesund is not the prettiest port on the cruise but still has some highlights. 
We decided to go to see the Rising Tide Horse Sculptures which were amazing. If you’re fit enough then you can walk to it in about an hour.

We took a taxi 600 N.KR. There and back and drove us straight to the sculptures so no walking. Pics below.

Lunch in Keel and Cow which was good though Lynda’s steak pie had very little meat in it and they did take it off her bill.

Tonight dinner was in The Limelight Club with Joe McElderry. The food and service was top notch and he was absolutely fantastic. What a voice! Highly recommend if he is the act when you sail.

So sea day tomorrow. The cruise has been fab. Will do a review of the Good, the Bad and the Ugly of the cruise tomorrow but night night for now.

Pat

IMG_8808.jpeg

IMG_8809.jpeg

IMG_8825.jpeg

IMG_8817.jpeg

IMG_8826.jpeg

IMG_8827.jpeg

IMG_8828.jpeg

IMG_8829.jpeg

IMG_8830.jpeg

IMG_8832.jpeg

IMG_8834.jpeg