Bringing alcohol back home

Tntt

If you buy alcohol on the ship (bourbon), will airlines let you pack it in your carryon or checked baggage? We always buy a bottle of alcohol on the ship and because we normally drive its not a problem but our next cruise we are flying. We don't want to waste money on buying alcohol and then the airline prohibits it.

Edited by Tntt
Edit

In places like San Juan you can purchase liquor in the duty free store at the airport. they will put in a special container and seal it and you are allowed to take it on the plane with you. 

• Like 2

We were able to bring 1 L of Baileys, 2 Ls of Vodka, 700ml of Hennessy White and 750ml of tequila last month between 3 of us.  2 bottles packed in with the dirty clothes in each checked bag.  All arrived safe.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, poocher said:

We were able to bring 1 L of Baileys, 2 Ls of Vodka, 700ml of Hennessy White and 750ml of tequila last month between 3 of us.  2 bottles packed in with the dirty clothes in each checked bag.  All arrived safe.

I still have a half of bottle of Hennessy white that is at least a dozen years old.

18 hours ago, George C said:

I have gotten bargains but you need to know your prices , bottles sold on cruise ships are liters. Also possible to get some liquor that isn’t sold in the USA.

As far as Scotch, I have found the international series are usually liters. The Balvenie 16 and Glenmorangie 19 I brought home last year were 700's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedIguana said:

As far as Scotch, I have found the international series are usually liters. The Balvenie 16 and Glenmorangie 19 I brought home last year were 700's.

I am in the minority I like blended scotch, favorite is Johnny Walker Gold , but have been know to drink Johnny Walker Platinum, we did a MSc yacht club cruise a few years ago and they had a deal you could upgrade your premium package , the upgrade gave you anything they sold by the glass so we went thru a few bottles of Johnny Walker Blue , also included was XO cognac etc 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, poocher said:

I was just kinda surprised we got it all through customs along with my daughter’s 4 bottles of champagne.  Apparently there’s no limit to what you can bring back?

The official duty free limit is 1 liter of alcohol per individual 21 or over... If you are over the limit, and truthful, the officer MAY let you pass with out paying any duty.

Aloha,

John

6 hours ago, poocher said:

I was just kinda surprised we got it all through customs along with my daughter’s 4 bottles of champagne.  Apparently there’s no limit to what you can bring back?

24% alcohol or less has no restrictions.  Not sure what Champagne has but it "usually" is less than 24%.

47 minutes ago, jcl410 said:

The official duty free limit is 1 liter of alcohol per individual 21 or over... If you are over the limit, and truthful, the officer MAY let you pass with out paying any duty.

Aloha,

John

We put our stuff in the bags they took the night before so I don’t know how they knew who it all belonged to.  DD carried the champagne off. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

18 hours ago, George C said:

It is I didn’t think it taste much different from regular Hennessy , 

Agree.  Same grape, same distilling process, just different blends of different aged brandies. White is made for warmer climates like the Caribbean.  Rarer because limited production and decision to not sell in US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1