Cruising with grand kids

benkutner

We have a problem for which Royal Caribbean is unable to provide a solution.  We are taking two grandkids on a Caribbean cruise in July, and we need to bring a notarized form, available on their web site, called "Consent for minor (0-17) child to travel without parent/legal guardian".  The form requires two signatures, a parent and the accompanying adult (us).  For the grandchild who lives in our city, this is not an issue, as I can just appear in front of a notary with my daughter and the notary can witness our signatures and affix their notarized seal.  HOWEVER, the second grandchild lives in a different state, and we cannot appear in front of a notary together with that child's parent at the same time. The advice we received from Royal Caribbean was "this is our requirement, you will need to figure out how to do it.  Perhaps you need to travel to the other city to take care of it."   I imagine we are not the only grandparents to have ever had this situation.  Can anyone shed some light on how this can be accomplished ?

1 minute ago, benkutner said:

We have a problem for which Royal Caribbean is unable to provide a solution.  We are taking two grandkids on a Caribbean cruise in July, and we need to bring a notarized form, available on their web site, called "Consent for minor (0-17) child to travel without parent/legal guardian".  The form requires two signatures, a parent and the accompanying adult (us).  For the grandchild who lives in our city, this is not an issue, as I can just appear in front of a notary with my daughter and the notary can witness our signatures and affix their notarized seal.  HOWEVER, the second grandchild lives in a different state, and we cannot appear in front of a notary together with that child's parent at the same time. The advice we received from Royal Caribbean was "this is our requirement, you will need to figure out how to do it.  Perhaps you need to travel to the other city to take care of it."   I imagine we are not the only grandparents to have ever had this situation.  Can anyone shed some light on how this can be accomplished ?

How about using two forms, each one with one notarized signature, both with the same child's name?  You *will* have notarized signatures of both of the specified adults, as required.  (Staple them together, lest someone separate them.)

Or, is there room for a second notary stamp on the form?  Have one sign, mail it to the other, and then have the other sign in the presence of a notary.

GC

• Like 2

Cruised many times with Grandson ,the funny thing about the letters is most times cruise lines did not ask for it those were Disney and R.C. X did and was pretty serious about it . We had an undated letter and just kept it with our passports and used it a few times over a couple years. If your Grands have the same last name as you they might not even ask .I know you cannot count on that but why ask for trouble.. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am in the same situation and here is how I’ve handled it. @Mum2Mercury is absolutely correct that I shouldn’t have to have my signature notarized. This is RCI being dense. I had my daughter sign and notarize one copy. I took that copy with another copy to my notary and he notarized my signature. Both notaries were at a loss as to why the form is made the way it is. There isn’t even room for two notaries on the form! I sail on Monday and will see if we are allowed boarding or not. Good luck to all!

• 3 weeks later...

@benkutner - The pandemic lockdown changed so many things.  Have you checked around to see if there is any way to have an item notarized via a Zoom (or similar) call?  (I don't have this answer.  Just asking.)  It seems like the parent's signature should definitely need to be notarized, but yours seems weird.  If you read the wording on the form, it's the parent of the child that is authorizing.  It isn't the adult traveling with the child.  

Do you have a notary available that you personally know that you could ask how they would handle?  At your attorney's, doctor's, bank, place of employment?

• 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

Weirdly, we went through hoops to get this for our grandson’s first cruise with us on RCC.  Never asked for it then or years since.  Maybe our Diamond plus status matters to the person checking your documents.?  Never asked for anything when I took my son with a passport only, which last name was different from mine either.  Wonder why all the different experiences?  
but, I’d rather have one than be denied boarding.  
last time, I literally had one done where I typed out something saying we accepted all responsibility for him, etc  and had that notarized locally, while his mom in another state, did the same saying she gave me permission to take him and was responsible.  We did use exact details for dates and ship though.  So I had two notarized documents-

ywt, never asked for anything when we take him, just his birth certificate, since he has not passport.  Names are different, and my son isn’t on it either, so no way they could see a link from just that either.

better safe than sorry.  Be prepared.   

Edited by Stanle15
Sorry, no glasses to proofread