LIVE / Sky Princess / June 17th / Land of the Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 14 Day Cruise

Jeter02

Weird issue on port transfer in Tromso.

Map shows cruise terminal is basically in downtown area and maybe 1/2 mile from the Raddison Blu Hotel.  Yet the $20 transfer says it is 4 miles and 20 minute drive.  Think you could walk it faster than waiting for the transfer.

Hi @Jeter02, loving your review so far. 

I do have a quick question, and depending on the answer, might also be asking for a quick favor. 

Do you know if the lido deck grill on the Sky has been updated to the Salty Dog CAFE like it is on the Enchanted? I have been trying to figure out the details and what exactly might have changed and have yet to find it. 

If so, would you mind posting a menu? I cannot find one anywhere! The Princess press release about the venue made it sound like they were completely redoing the menu but I have yet to see any proof of that 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

I do have a quick question, and depending on the answer, might also be asking for a quick favor. 

Do you know if the lido deck grill on the Sky has been updated to the Salty Dog CAFE like it is on the Enchanted? I have been trying to figure out the details and what exactly might have changed and have yet to find it. 

If so, would you mind posting a menu? I cannot find one anywhere! The Princess press release about the venue made it sound like they were completely redoing the menu but I have yet to see any proof of that 🤷‍♂️

Yes I will definitely take a picture of the menu of the Salty Dog Grill later for you today. But please know that the salty dog grill has been a part of the ship from day one of it should build and I've been on the ship multiple times and I've never seen a menu change up to this point.

I just want to make sure that you're not confusing it possibly with the Salty Dog Gastropub which is a sit-down restaurant that was on the enchanted princess located where vines were typically be located. However, that is now switched over to O'Malley's Irish pub. But you could still find the Salty Dog Gastropub on the Discovery Princess.

7 hours ago, talkorpi said:

Salty Dog Grill Menu up on the lido deck, deck 16

20230620_121840.jpg

On 6/17/2023 at 5:44 AM, worldtraveller said:

We are going out of Southampton later in the year so would be interested in what you do with your luggage when you get to the port and then the check in/boarding process.  thanks

We just disembarked the Sky on June 17th. When you are dropped off at the port, there is a desk where you will fill out luggage tags and attach them. Then they will tell you which luggage bay to drop your bags off. Then you will get in line by the large doors (this is very close to the luggage drop off) and they will tell you when you can enter. It was very easy to check in. We waited in our assigned area for maybe 10 minutes and then were led to get on the ship. We were on by 10:30 but the cabins were ready about 12:30

• Like 2

On 6/15/2023 at 7:16 AM, sheriff's wife said:

Hello !

We are also on this trip . Please can you remind me if Sky has US or UK plug sockets?

Many thanks and safe travels to the port .

We disembarked on June 17th. We were in a Deluxe Balcony and had only two US outlets at the desk, one of which was in use with the tea kettle. There was also one in the bathroom for shavers and could handle plugging in a phone or tablet. The lamps each had the USB outlet for a phone/ tablet device.

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Salty Dog Grill Menu up on the lido deck, deck 16

20230620_121840.jpg

Haha thank you for responding so quickly! I know it is confusing but I am like 99% sure that the press release said they are replacing the old Gastropub with O'Malleys and the SD Grill with the SD Cafe which would have an expanded menu, new logo, and would have merchandise and promotions.

I found the listing on the PCL website but there's no menu of course. It looks like Sky didn't get this change so I guess it is only on the Enchanted. Weird.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/dining-included/salty-dog-cafe.html

4 hours ago, talkorpi said:

Haha thank you for responding so quickly! I know it is confusing but I am like 99% sure that the press release said they are replacing the old Gastropub with O'Malleys and the SD Grill with the SD Cafe which would have an expanded menu, new logo, and would have merchandise and promotions.

I found the listing on the PCL website but there's no menu of course. It looks like Sky didn't get this change so I guess it is only on the Enchanted. Weird.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/products/dining-included/salty-dog-cafe.html

Ah the cafe ok, then I know what you're talking about. So for that there's no menu they're just serving certain items from the so-called Salty Dog Cafe in the Lido deck in the buffet. Like I've seen pictures on other posts from the Enchanted with the chicken fingers that they're saying are from like salty dog they're like little grab and go bites that you get in the basket with the red and white checkered paper. They don't have that on this particular ship unless because I'm sailing in and out of the UK but they do have the fish and chips in the basket.

• Like 1

Last night was great with the entertainment as I caught the guitarist and vocalist who was amazing and then in the theater, Hannah Howie who sang AMAZING! Absolutely incredible of a voice Did a bunch of Broadway/west end tunes. If you are ever on a ship with her go to her show she does not disappoint probably one of the best acts I've ever seen along with second night. whom I saw the first night.

In between the two musical acts I did go to Princess Live to cut the game show Who wants To Be A Bazillionaire. That was an incredibly fun and hilarious game to watch as they had one participant from the audience his name was picked out of the bucket who played pretty much the game of Who wants To Be A millionaire but in this case it ships version. Loads of fun.

Today was an absolute marvelous day! Originally it was supposed to be 100% chance of rain and no rain in sight we are two for two so far this trip with great weather. Had breakfast in the dining room as normal and I would hate to bore you all with my daily breakfast photos as I usually keep it pretty basic.

Today's protocol was in Molde, Norway and we docked around 9 a.m. I was one of the first ones off the ship which was lovely I decided to spend the day more or less so walking around town and exploring. I will say there are lots of wonderful steep hills and roads and this quaint little town, so definitely a workout. We do dark rather close to the mold cathedral and Bell Tower. And then I meandered over to the Romsdal Museum which was about a 15-20-minute walk or so (I'm typically a fast walker). The museum wasn't set to open till 11:00 but I had no intentions of really going in as I was just more walking around and exploring. I know a lot of passengers were doing the Atlantic Road Excursion unfortunately I have a very weak tummy and I don't do well motion sickness-wise in a car so I'm sorry I can't get your pictures on that.

Molde is a very easy port to kind of walk for a great viewpoint if you just keep walking up up and up those steep hills it is so easy to find your way back down You can't miss the ship as it's quite the eyesore and you can hear them doing their safety drills from the top of Molde from down below.

I wasn't going to do it initially but then I was on a roll with these steep hills I decided to venture up to Varden Viewpoint also known as Molde Panorama. The view is definitely rewarding, especially since I contemplated most of the times of getting an Uber to drop me off on top on my walk up.

After walking and venturing around as I headed back by the ship I've noticed a majority of the ship passengers were out and about and the shops had finally open making it a little bit more bustling of a small town. As soon as I got back on board  I've been doing my new routine of going for a swim at the retreat pool after my adventures to cool down.

Had some lunch once again at my favorite Alfredo's. Today I had the veal pockets which was amazing and probably the best I've had on a princess ship.

For dinner tonight I went for the shrimp and spinach dip, followed by the whole turkey dinner which was absolutely delectable moist and very soft to the point you didn't need teeth to chew it, as it melted in your mouth. I did ask my waiter to kindly bring me out a piece of the haddock fish that was on the menu, just so I can taste test it as I have friends and family who been asking me to report back to them on it. I am personally not the biggest fan of a cod or haddock at all so I took one for the team. It was very good, still not my cup of tea but it was cooked to perfection and it was not greasy whatsoever. I finished off my meal this evening with the most amazing carrot cake probably the best I've ever had onboard Princess. It was excellent!

Tonight for entertainment they have Gareth Oliver the comedian / ventriloquist. I've heard rave reviews about him through various outlets so I decided to go check out his show. For me comedians can be very hit and miss as well as ventriloquists I wasn't personally too keen on it so I didn't stick around very long. Instead I quickly walked down 10 minutes into the other show to the Vista Lounge where Hannah Howie was doing a new show with a new set list of songs, This time around did a lot of Scottish/ Irish music. She is once again absolutely incredible and has the voice of an angel. She did announce she is getting off tomorrow though as she's going to her next ship. 

Tomorrow we will be talking in Trondheim.

20230620_204940.jpg

20230620_204946.jpg

20230620_090556.jpg

20230620_093140.jpg

20230620_093253.jpg

20230620_095350.jpg

20230620_101927.jpg

20230620_130341.jpg

20230620_172745.jpg

20230620_172748.jpg

20230620_184145.jpg

20230620_175051.jpg

20230620_182538.jpg

20230620_185438.jpg

20230620_095622.jpg

• Like 7

Just now, cruisetek said:

Looks like you're having a great time! I appreciate the photos of the menus, as well. 

Could you please tell me which dining room was open for lunch on embarkation day? 

As always for lunch on embarkation day it's always the dining room on deck 6 midship. So on the ship it would be Estrella. On a vacation day lunch will be served at 12:00 noon..

• Like 1

Just now, Jeter02 said:

As always for lunch on embarkation day it's always the dining room on deck 6 midship. So on the ship it would be Estrella. On a vacation day lunch will be served at 12:00 noon..

Amazing, thank you so much! I hope you continue to have a fantastic cruise.

• Like 1

Just now, cruisetek said:

Amazing, thank you so much! I hope you continue to have a fantastic cruise.

You are welcome! Thank you as well, as I am having beyond a fantastic time. This truly is a such a great itinerary!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, talkorpi said:

Older ships had a grill up on deck that served regular fries.  When Sky first sailed in 2019 this was changed slightly to serve a signature burger and loaded fries.  Looks like it still is like that.  Still have the best fries at sea.  Looking forward to getting the loaded fries again later this year.

8 hours ago, LeeW said:

Older ships had a grill up on deck that served regular fries.  When Sky first sailed in 2019 this was changed slightly to serve a signature burger and loaded fries.  Looks like it still is like that.  Still have the best fries at sea.  Looking forward to getting the loaded fries again later this year.

Not sure which ship, but some years ago, the grill served an Ernesto Burger for about $6.50.  Haven't seen it since the restart.

48 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

Not sure which ship, but some years ago, the grill served an Ernesto Burger for about $6.50.  Haven't seen it since the restart.

It was fleet-wide. Available at the Salty Dog and sometimes with no upcharge in the MDRs. But the Ernesto is gone since restart.

0142_20200103_162853.thumb.jpg.67368bae4560de387f7458bbed62f4ca.jpg
The Ernesto on Emerald Princess, January 2020

2 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

They did away with that like you said after the restart. They also used to offer one of  Ernesto's burger creations in the dining room which you could have gotten for free. But every night was a different burger, including one night for the famous Ernesto Burger with the kimchi. Free in the dining room but you had to pay like you said $6 up at Trident Grill for it or the Salty Dog Grill. But no longer an option whatsoever in the dining room which just means they dropped the contract with him 

2 hours ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha.  We love princess and extend a wish for your happiness and an enjoyable vacation and thank you for the food pictures!

Thank you so much!!!! You're very welcome for the photos.

19 minutes ago, aquilegia said:

Really enjoying this, lovely pictures.  We are on the cruise after yours. Whereabouts on the ship is The Catch by Rudi?  Has it replaced Bistro Sur La Mer?

Yes, The Catch has replaced Sur La Mer. Located midship on a deck 7.

• Like 1