Upgrade question

HMSDingy

Naturally, if the ship is truely FULL, upgrades are unlikely.  However, people do cancel at the last minute (especially those with cancellation insurance), so HAL will try to fill those cabins if they can by offering upsells.

Our big box TA doesn’t pass on upgrade offers. I watch prices and call them to ask for an upgrade/upsell offer. Last cruise we had a standard verandah and were able to “upsell” to a Vista at no additional cost because prices had gone down. Just keep calling.

We call the HAL inventory dept. a few days before the cruise to ask for an upgrade and usually get one for a nominal fee. Usually a Verandah to a Vista Suite or Vista Suite to a Neptune Suite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Djptcp said:

We call the HAL inventory dept. a few days before the cruise to ask for an upgrade and usually get one for a nominal fee. Usually a Verandah to a Vista Suite or Vista Suite to a Neptune Suite.

How do you call the HAL inventory department? If you call in is that one of the options?

We've booked through a PCC, not sure if that means any upgrade inquiries have to go through her.

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

How do you call the HAL inventory department? If you call in is that one of the options?

We've booked through a PCC, not sure if that means any upgrade inquiries have to go through her.

It's the normal upsell number.  You do not have to go through your pcc. It doesn't have to be in steps necessarily.  I went from an Oceanview to a Neptune Suite on my last cruise.  I only saw the upsell for the balcony but when I phoned they told me about the Neptune.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2023 at 4:17 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

It's the normal upsell number.  You do not have to go through your pcc. It doesn't have to be in steps necessarily.  I went from an Oceanview to a Neptune Suite on my last cruise.  I only saw the upsell for the balcony but when I phoned they told me about the Neptune.

Can you please provide the number - I had it written down but have misplaced the paper.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, FreesiaE said:

Tried the magic number today and was told everything was sold out (I'm about 12 days out), so that answered that question 😄

You never know.  Watch your email.  On my last cruise I phoned several times because I love a balcony but they were ridiculous in price so I settled for an oceanview.  The guy told me there was only one balcony so don’t get my hopes up so I didn’t.  Fast forward to 3 days before the cruise and the email came in for an upsell to a balcony.  I phoned immediately and he told me there was also upsells to Neptune suites.  The Neptune was slightly lower in price than the balcony would have been had a bought it initially so I grabbed it.  You never know what can happen.  Maybe something, maybe nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 6/19/2023 at 6:38 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

You never know.  

Well lo and behold I called today and magically there was a cabin open for purchase. The quoted price was 4 figures a person. Maybe I’ll call back in a few days? Maybe prices can change?

29 minutes ago, FreesiaE said:

Well lo and behold I called today and magically there was a cabin open for purchase. The quoted price was 4 figures a person. Maybe I’ll call back in a few days? Maybe prices can change?

They heard us talking 😛.  Things can definitely change.  Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

If people don’t bite then they will.  That said, I’m pretty sure they have a price in mind and don’t go lower than that.

Ya that makes sense - I called on Oosterdam upgrade and was quoted at 399 pp verandah to signature suite for a cruise leaving in 17 days. Going to gamble a bit and check back in a week. 

2 minutes ago, steamboater12 said:

Ya that makes sense - I called on Oosterdam upgrade and was quoted at 399 pp verandah to signature suite for a cruise leaving in 17 days. Going to gamble a bit and check back in a week. 

That sounds like a decent price but it depends on the length of the cruise.  One poster has said this several times on cruise critic and I tend to agree.  If the price for the upsell is 1/3 of the price then it’s a decent price.  Let’s say the veranda is $1000 and signature suite is $2000 just for ease the upgrade price would be good @$333.  If all categories are sold out that doesn’t work too well 😛.

3 minutes ago, steamboater12 said:

12 day Adriatic Dream, all categories are still available to be booked on homepage. Quoted prices currently are 1399 verandah, 1999 for sig suite. 

That looks a bit high then.  $1999 - 1399 = $600.  So $600 divided by $3 is $200 per person.  It probably wouldn’t hurt to wait to see what happens.  If you do see a price down that road you like jump on it.  They can go fast.

• Like 2