Athens Tour

Boatdrinknc

4 of us took a tour today in Athens using George’s Taxi Company. It was fantastic! Our driver named Stratos was a delight. He was a walking Greek historian and showed tremendous pride in his country. We started at the Acropolis where he gave us. 15 minute overview in the car about the history of it and how it related to European history. We went to several stops in Athens not listed on the tour where he gave us a history lesson on each one. It was all very interesting. We then went to the Corinth canal which was an another engineering marvel. We then went to the ruins and museum in Corinth where Paul preached to the Corinthians and learned interesting facts about Paul and his significance in the spreading of Christianity. He made several more stops on our way back to Athens. Stratos is a very experienced guide who planned everything very well. It was about an 8 hour day and we enjoyed every minute of it.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Boatdrinknc said:

4 of us took a tour today in Athens using George’s Taxi Company. It was fantastic! Our driver named Stratos was a delight. He was a walking Greek historian and showed tremendous pride in his country. We started at the Acropolis where he gave us. 15 minute overview in the car about the history of it and how it related to European history. We went to several stops in Athens not listed on the tour where he gave us a history lesson on each one. It was all very interesting. We then went to the Corinth canal which was an another engineering marvel. We then went to the ruins and museum in Corinth where Paul preached to the Corinthians and learned interesting facts about Paul and his significance in the spreading of Christianity. He made several more stops on our way back to Athens. Stratos is a very experienced guide who planned everything very well. It was about an 8 hour day and we enjoyed every minute of it.

Thank you so much.  Sounds exactly like something we would like.  Did you request Stratos or was it just the luck of the draw.  I googled Georges Taxi Athens and a few came up.  Is it georges taxi dot com for the website?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Boatdrinknc said:

This is so good to know.  We have George's Taxi booked for a similar tour in Athens and Corinth as well as transportation from the airport to our hotel and then to the port 2 days later.  Did you get out at the Acropolis to walk around or just do a drive by?  I hear that everything is set up on a hill there and we are a group of 12 seniors who may have trouble walking uphill.  I hear that there is an elevator that will take us to the top.  I'd hate to miss some of those sites up on the Acropolis if we just do a drive-by.

17 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Thank you so much.  Sounds exactly like something we would like.  Did you request Stratos or was it just the luck of the draw.  I googled Georges Taxi Athens and a few came up.  Is it georges taxi dot com for the website?

The original and most recommended George's Taxi is

taxigreece.com 

1 hour ago, mom4mom said:

I hear that everything is set up on a hill there and we are a group of 12 seniors who may have trouble walking uphill.  I hear that there is an elevator that will take us to the top.  I'd hate to miss some of those sites up on the Acropolis if we just do a drive-by.

There previously was a small (and somewhat scary-looking) lift up to the Acropolis, but I see that it has now been replaced with a sturdier-looking and more modern one. You can read more about it in the link below.

The article does make it clear, however, that it is only for people with disabilities (e.g., I'm not sure that age alone would qualify one for use). Also, they recommend calling a day in advance to ensure that the lift is operational and available.

https://athensbylocals.com/acropolis-disabled-access-use-of-the-acropolis-elevator/

(While it's nice to see the Acropolis from various vantage points in the city, it is nearly impossible to get an idea of the place without actually visiting the top and seeing all of the various components.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mom4mom said:

This is so good to know.  We have George's Taxi booked for a similar tour in Athens and Corinth as well as transportation from the airport to our hotel and then to the port 2 days later.  Did you get out at the Acropolis to walk around or just do a drive by?  I hear that everything is set up on a hill there and we are a group of 12 seniors who may have trouble walking uphill.  I hear that there is an elevator that will take us to the top.  I'd hate to miss some of those sites up on the Acropolis if we just do a drive-by.

To add to cruisemom's post.  

Your guide can arrange for disabled people to use the elevator.  There is usually no problem using the elevator, even without prior arrangements, for people who are visibly impaired, such as using a walker, oxygen, etc.  Someone who is not visibly impaired, such as a heart condition, may need a medical certificate or doctor's letter. 

• Thanks 1

We walked up the hill to the Acropolis and other buildings as Stratus waited in the car for us. He said that it should take about 1.5 hours to see everything but to take as much time as we needed. The actual walk uphill wasn’t that difficult ( I have two artificial hips)  but I can see where walking on the uneven gravel paths could be a challenge. I’m 69 years old and I had no problems 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 3:45 PM, Boatdrinknc said:

Now that would be very interesting to me!  That’s the type of history I get excited about!!  Could we request him?

1 minute ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Now that would be very interesting to me!  That’s the type of history I get excited about!!  Could we request him?

You can, but all their people are very good.

We have been using their services for over 20 years.  We first drove around with George (now retired) in his yellow taxi.

• 7 months later...

I have contacted Georges and then mention that the driver is not a tour guide but for an additional fee we could hire one. Does anyone have any information on this? I do not mind hiring one but not sure if its necessary!

On 2/2/2024 at 5:02 PM, dancingfish said:

I have contacted Georges and then mention that the driver is not a tour guide but for an additional fee we could hire one. Does anyone have any information on this? I do not mind hiring one but not sure if its necessary!

The drivers are well informed and tell you about the places before you go in. They are not licensed to guide within the venues. 

• Like 1