Queens Grill on Queen Victoria

beckslpool

So I’m looking at booking my parents a cruise for their 25th wedding anniversary, as it’s going to be a present from myself, my siblings and my grandparents we have been looking at a Queens Grill Suite.  We’ve picked Queen Victoria as that is my mum’s name so we thought they would be a nice touch.

I’ve been the one charged with finding everything out before we make a booking and I have read all the Cunard stuff on the website detailing Queens Grill but I am looking for some real life experiences and opinions.

So let me know your opinions if you have been in Queens Grill, what exactly you get for your money etc

i look forward to hearing from you

I think it is lovely. Depending on what the weather is the Grills Terrace and Courtyard are a boon. The Staff are lovely, the cabins are large. If there is anything you want that you haven’t got, the will try and bring it. I highly recommend it.

This is my review of our last cruise. Some it of it is very specific to my experience which you can ignore,  it it gives a general idea.

I was unfortunately quarantined with Covid for the middle six days of this cruise, and therefore had not intended to write a review, because my impressions would be at best partial. Nonetheless I am doing so because my perceptions are at variance with some of the more negative comments in other reviews, and I felt there should be some balance.

So, the good points. 

Firstly, universally, the Staff were wonderful, including when I was quarantined. They could not have been more helpful, efficient, and kind. They certainly never seemed rushed. Secondly, the ship seemed very well cared for, both in terms of constant routine maintenance, and in terms of constant cleaning. Thirdly, in the Queens Grill, the quality and preparation of the food seemed excellent, and, when I was eating in the restaurant, it always arrived at the appropriate temperature. On some days the QG menu of the day (different from and rarely as attractive as the Britannia) was less than enticing or badly planned, but there was always the à la carte or going off menu. Fourth, there was an impressive lecture programme for so port intensive a cruise, and I very much enjoyed Mr. Flounders’ thoughts on the history of Cunard. Finally, our cabin was large, comfortable, and well provided, though I had to request a number of things, like bar soap and shower cap. The bed was extremely comfortable. All this was very fortunate, as it turned out.

Less good things.

I think seven planned ports in twelve days is too many. Even more so, when four of those were to be tender ports. In the event this was reduced to six and three. 

The passenger information on the TV was pathetic, particularly compared to that on QM2.

My husband did not have Covid, as shown by daily testing, and did not have to quarantine at all, having the freedom of the ship and to go ashore, but was not allowed to eat in the restaurants. Nobody has been able to explain to us the logic behind this.

It is hard to think of many more criticisms. Oh yes, the bath does not have a light over it, making reading a chore. 

Hi, I had a lovely time in Queens Grill in December last year, it was very special, for context we were celebrating it being 35 years to the day since we had previously sailed with Cunard, we even had the Grills Menu to show them.  I liked it very much, but some people may prefer something less traditional.  If you have a specific questions I would be happy to help.  

beckslpool Wonderful gesture from you and the  family. Lucky parents. 🙂

You've had two mini reviews and an offer of help. Ask away and I'm sure you'll get some help.

I'm biased as we consider Victoria our home from home, but she really is a lovely ship and the staff, marvellous.

A wee story that might be relevant: 

Some years ago, when our two children were at (private) schools, where the fees were extortionate, we sacrificed big holidays to pay the fees.

My parents insisted that we go on holiday with them on several occasions. To Orlando. To Lago Maggiore. And for the third time my father decided we should all return to the Italian lakes. As, once again, he was proposing that we all went to a rather up market hotel at his expense, I declined the generous offer. We were returning from watching a football match.

My father was quite indignant. He told me in no uncertain terms, that it was his money and that he could spend it how he pleased and that anyway, he did not know how many holidays he had left and that was what he wanted to do.

I arrived home and explained this to my wife and asked her how do you answer that?

So, we went back to Italy for two weeks and had a marvelous time.

A couple of years later, our two left school and wanted to go on holiday by themselves.

For the first time, we had the oppertinity of going on holiday by ourselves.

The QE2 had been on my bucket list, so I booked it. My wife was horrified. She told me that she didn't have any clothes to wear. She did. We went.

Out TA advised us to book a P1. We really enjoyed it and subsequently booked a QG trip for the following year. Our worst mistake. It's been QG ever since. My bank manager is convinced we're buying the ship.

Scroll forward to autumn 2008.

I asked my mother what she would like for Christmas. Jokingly. she replied that she would like something expensive. I had a plan.

A few weeks later, I asked again and this time she asked if I could paint a watercolour. I agreed.

I got out my paints and found an interesting picture on the internet of the Queen Victoria with the QE2 in the background. I sketched it then painted it. It was then framed.

My parents were due at our house early on Christmas morning. Around 8:00am in fact.

At lunchtime on Christmas eve, out daughter phoned from Edinburgh, where she attended the university. She was about to return home. She told us that her German penpal, Linda was in Edinburgh working, along with her friend Alice and that they did not have enough money to get back to Nurenburg, so could they please come and have Christmas with us.

Okay, we said.

But there's just one problem. Oh? Linda  is a vegetarian.

My wife had to dash to the shops, buy two more presents and a basket full of vegetables.

Christmas morning, we were all up and ready well before 8:00am.

We did the prezzy thing when my parents arrived.

I primed the kids that if there was mention of a DVD they must all demand to see it immediately.

The last present was ours to my parents and my mother opened it.

It was my framed watercolour. I had attached the DVD to the back and if played, it would show how near my painting was to the real thing.

The kids all shouted that we should play the DVD

My mother took out the DVD, but it was wrapped in a sheet of paper.

She asked what it was and I told her to read it.

Certain bits were yellow highlighted.

"It states booking" form she said. "Read on" I told her. "But that's our names" she said.

"You're going on a two week cruise around the Mediteranean"

From under the sofa, I produced the Cunard brochure and showed my parents all the different categories. She thought they all looked great. I explained that they were not going in any of these (so far). "You're going Queens Grill with us".

We did. It was a great holiday.

It was my Dad's last.

Edited by BigMac1953
  • Like 7

What you get for the money in QG is a feeling of being pampered, and respected, and deserving of the best possible service.  That, plus the variety of activities a bigger ship can offer.  

• Like 1