Half Moon Cay clamshell help

DanWin

Hello everyone. I am looking for people who have had recent experience with renting a clamshell on Half Moon Cay please.  In the past our family had rented a villa and a cabana several times, but Carnival has priced those out of our budget now. We have a member of our party that needs to be in the shade when possible. I have heard mixed options regarding the clamshell. We are looking at pretty far down the beach between cabana number 10 and the fourth villa as you approach from the pirate ship area.

we had tried one time to put chairs under a tree but found that ants were an issue.
we will be platinum on this cruise so we hope to be off the ship on the first tender. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts. Thank you 

We have family that always get one or two and they are satisfied with them.  They do provide shade BUT they tend to get hot inside as the air does not move through (no screens or window type options available) it. 

The spaces will go very quickly (especially if there is another ship in port at the same time) even with a reservation ahead of time, we saw some people that came later and had to manage a sloping situation with the loungers.  

I have been to HMC twice in the past year and a half and rented one both times. 

Where it is located all depends on when you get there. We were first off the ship in November and could pretty much pick our spot. The time before that we got off later and had to go all the way to the end of the beach. I preferred it down there because it wasn’t as crowded but it was a long walk. 

we put a shoe or a rock or something under the back of it to prop it up and get some air circulation. It helped. 

On 6/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, DanWin said:

Hello everyone. I am looking for people who have had recent experience with renting a clamshell on Half Moon Cay please.  In the past our family had rented a villa and a cabana several times, but Carnival has priced those out of our budget now. We have a member of our party that needs to be in the shade when possible. I have heard mixed options regarding the clamshell. We are looking at pretty far down the beach between cabana number 10 and the fourth villa as you approach from the pirate ship area.

we had tried one time to put chairs under a tree but found that ants were an issue.
we will be platinum on this cruise so we hope to be off the ship on the first tender. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts. Thank you 

Trust me, rent yourself one if you need to be in the shade because its 100% better than just sitting out in the direct sun unless you are in a cabana or villa. Do yourself a favor before you regret it and they will sell out quick.

Edited by Phanlee91

We had our first clamshell in our third visit to HMC. Ours was next to the rental building. It was comfortable, kept us out of direct sun. Only drawback is the lounges take up too much space. Would consider another one this coming January.

I need shade too and the clamshells are too stuffy IMO.  

Down by cabana 10 where the restroom is, there are shade trees.   But you have to walk it.  Tram is only for cabana people on the way. 

Going back, you can try sticking out your thumb and the tram will pick you up.  I tip a few dollars.  

If clamshells run out, you could bring a beach umbrella.  I've seen beach umbrellas a number of times on HMC.  And as extra coverage, get a speedo swim shirt especially for your sun sensitive person.

HMC beach.jpg

swimshirt.jpg

Edited by ninjacat123
more info
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

If clamshells run out, you could bring a beach umbrella.  I've seen beach umbrellas a number of times on HMC.  And as extra coverage, get a speedo swim shirt especially for your sun sensitive person.

HMC beach.jpg

swimshirt.jpg

Thank you ninjacat123