Pre Cruise Athens Hotel - Marriott ?

Mr. Baloo

Interesting that Viking picks a hotel so far off the beaten path.  Haven’t seen much about this hotel on the boards.

looking for advice, tips, and anything you learned on your stay there.  

Restaurants nearby?  Hotel amenities?  Hotel restaurant and bar?

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. Baloo said:

Interesting that Viking picks a hotel so far off the beaten path.  Haven’t seen much about this hotel on the boards.

Thanks.

About 5 miles from downtown.

It has a restaurant, a bar outside the restaurant, and a Marriott club for free drinks during HH.

They recommend a very nice Italian family trattoria a few blocks away for dinner. We had a good meal there. Try the fried cheese prepared table side.

Edited by CILCIANRQTS
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mr. Baloo said:

Thanks.

We stayed there in February.  In my opinion, and one I related to Viking, there is just no reason to put us all so far from anything at all.  The hotel is OK, but more like 15 minutes to the center with all the Athens traffic   They have a free shuttle, which helps.  The restaurant in the hotel is e&o Athens, which is a pan-Asian restaurant that was very good.  We ate there twice.  But  I wouldn’t do the pre-cruise extension with this hotel again.  

13 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

We stayed there in February.  In my opinion, and one I related to Viking, there is just no reason to put us all so far from anything at all.  The hotel is OK, but more like 15 minutes to the center with all the Athens traffic   They have a free shuttle, which helps.  The restaurant in the hotel is e&o Athens, which is a pan-Asian restaurant that was very good.  We ate there twice.  But  I wouldn’t do the pre-cruise extension with this hotel again.  

I believe Viking uses two different hotels in Athens, depending if you are on the 2-day Athens Extension or the 4-day Classic Greece Extension. The Marriot is used for the 2-day Athens extension because of its proximity to the port. The Classic Greece Extension uses the Intercontinental Hotel.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

I believe Viking uses two different hotels in Athens, depending if you are on the 2-day Athens Extension or the 4-day Classic Greece Extension. The Marriot is used for the 2-day Athens extension because of its proximity to the port. The Classic Greece Extension uses the Intercontinental Hotel.

That may be Viking’s thinking, but not mine.  In the end they have to get everyone to the port, no matter which hotel they are staying at.  And if you only have the two day extension, you are wanting to do Athens on your own for a day or two.  All the more reason to be closer to the center.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PRH said:

Athens Gate Hotel is close to everything while easy to get to/from port via Uber/car/taxi

2nd on Athens Gate.  Great location.  Book the suite with a 270-degree wrap-around balcony.

There's really no reason to do a 2-day pre- or post-cruise extension with Viking.  First day is a tour of Athens and 2nd day you're on your own.  If you are not venturing outside of Athens, just book the hotel on your own and taxi to & from port or airport.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

We're booked on the 4 day pre-cruise excursion, and it shows the NJV Athens Plaza online, but our paperwork says the Hilton. Of course, we're not going for about 10 months, so I know things can always change.

My trip in January said Hilton also, even though it's been closed for a couple of years and is being partially converted into luxury condos and rebranded Conrad. Not expected to open for at least another year or two.

3 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

My trip in January said Hilton also, even though it's been closed for a couple of years and is being partially converted into luxury condos and rebranded Conrad. Not expected to open for at least another year or two.

Yep! That's actually how I came across your posts, was searching for the extension hotel info. It said opening in 2024, so I guess there's always a chance, but doubtful. We'll go where they send us, not a big deal. LOL!

3 hours ago, SJD117 said:

FWIW, we like the Hotel Elektra Palace in Athens. Beautiful facade, friendly staff, rooftop restaurant, and just a short walk to Syntagma Square and the core of the city. 

We stayed here and would stay here again.  Fabulous staff and close to everything.

• Like 1

On our previous trip to Athens we stayed at the Grand Bretagne and loved it.  Right onSyntagma Square. We wished we had opted to stay there again instead of for the convenience of having Viking do everything for us. Elegant and just lovely.  We had lunch there on this last trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We stayed at the Electra Palace on June 9th for 2 nights. The 1 bedroom suite was rather dated. It had a beautiful terrace with a lovely view of the Acropolis. The roof top restaurant is beautiful, but the food, not so much. The hotel is thankfully very close to the Plaka district. 

Next time, we will give it a miss. The Athens Gate is another hotel we are looking at. 

9 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

That may be Viking’s thinking, but not mine.  In the end they have to get everyone to the port, no matter which hotel they are staying at.  And if you only have the two day extension, you are wanting to do Athens on your own for a day or two.  All the more reason to be closer to the center.  

Exactly!  The 4 day one has all the excursions included.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Exactly!  The 4 day one has all the excursions included.

Yes, but we had done all those places.  So just opted for a day in Athens on our own.  Not a good choice.  Would have done better with choosing out own hotel.  A cautionary tale!

On 6/20/2023 at 7:09 AM, OneSixtyToOne said:

The Intercontinental hotel is on the highway to Piraeus.  It’s pretty close to the port too.  However, I imagine that the reason why these hotels are used isn’t proximity, but the ability to get a bus to the hotel.  I know the few places we have stayed at in Athens, places closer to the Plaka were on very small streets that bringing a bus there would be……interesting.  

• Like 2

On 6/20/2023 at 9:13 AM, CILCIANRQTS said:

About 5 miles from downtown.

It has a restaurant, a bar outside the restaurant, and a Marriott club for free drinks during HH.

They recommend a very nice Italian family trattoria a few blocks away for dinner. We had a good meal there. Try the fried cheese prepared table side.

Hello - Would you share the name of the Italian family trattoria, we will be there in October, Thank you

7 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Thank you very much for restaurant reference. Any suggestions/advice for the one free day we have in  Athens while on the Viking 4 night Classic extension? Thanks in advance for any advice.

12 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

2 minutes ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Thank you very much for restaurant reference. Any suggestions/advice for the one free day we have in  Athens while on the Viking 4 night Classic extension? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Restaurant on the calendar to give it a try, looks good.

43 minutes ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Sorry.

We could only book the 2-day.

Went to Acropolis and new Acropolis Museum on Viking recommended tour.

We absolutely loved the optional tour to Delphi.  Long ride there but the scenery is beautiful, the location stunning, the history informative and the Greek lunch was excellent.

IMG_1218.jpeg

IMG_1201.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

IMG_1253.jpeg

IMG_1256.jpeg

IMG_1266.jpeg

IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1285.jpeg

IMG_1295.jpeg

IMG_1297.jpeg

IMG_1298.jpeg

IMG_1296.jpeg