Neptune GI Outbreak

Carolfay

It's far too tempting to address these issues directly but we shouldn't have to police other's behaviour.

There was a woman having breakfast near me in the world cafe one morning. She was wearing her bath robe which was gaping open and she had her legs splayed. All around her you could see nervous uncomfortable eyes. I decided to speak to one of the food managers who were shocked and unsure what to do so in the end I bent down next to her and explained the situation. She responded that all was ok because she had a bikini on underneath. I responded that all was not ok for those breakfasting around her and that she was in a restaurant wearing her bath robe. She departed immediately.

What can you do, folk have different habits, standards and attitudes!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, May B said:

It sounds like you had a true devotion to staying as healthy as possible! Congrats on your success.

Our story is quite different, but since I’ve only been home for two days, I’ll save it. I’ll start by saying that our cruise had virtually no itinerary changes and for my own particular sightseeing schedule, only about five drops of rain. We are particularly fortunate in the weather that follows us around the globe. Of course, that could change at any minute! The one and only true rain (and chilly) day we had was in Bruges in 2011. Luckily we were able to dress appropriately. We did our own walking tour, almost definitely Rick Steves, made a few beautiful purchases, and enjoyed moules frites at a sidewalk cafe on the main square (very nicely under cover). Great day for us! 

PS: sorry for going off-topic!

Thx May!

you sound like a fun person to cruise with and love your attitude!

you said you are on Saturn in Dec 24?  Malta by any chance?

Kent

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DGHOC said:

It's far too tempting to address these issues directly but we shouldn't have to police other's behaviour.

There was a woman having breakfast near me in the world cafe one morning. She was wearing her bath robe which was gaping open and she had her legs splayed. All around her you could see nervous uncomfortable eyes. I decided to speak to one of the food managers who were shocked and unsure what to do so in the end I bent down next to her and explained the situation. She responded that all was ok because she had a bikini on underneath. I responded that all was not ok for those breakfasting around her and that she was in a restaurant wearing her bath robe. She departed immediately.

What can you do, folk have different habits, standards and attitudes!

I’m surprised to hear that the woman left the WC after you spoke to her.  Her apparent lack of situational awareness and disregard for the other passengers is appalling.  I think this type of behavior goes beyond habits, standards, and attitudes.  Proper dress and good hygiene shouldn’t need to be taught or policed among a group of world-traveling adults.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frenchberet said:

I’m surprised to hear that the woman left the WC after you spoke to her.  Her apparent lack of situational awareness and disregard for the other passengers is appalling.  I think this type of behavior goes beyond habits, standards, and attitudes.  Proper dress and good hygiene shouldn’t need to be taught or policed among a group of world-traveling adults.

Sadly, we are starting to see a "Carnival" atmosphere coming to Viking.  No pun intended 🙂

But we have observed very bizarre total oblivious behavior a number of times in the past year or so.  Didn't see it on Viking pre-COVID.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thx May!

you sound like a fun person to cruise with and love your attitude!

you said you are on Saturn in Dec 24?  Malta by any chance?

Kent

Malta and way more! Corsica, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco. Plus I think four other ports we’ve already enjoyed previously.

Thank you for the compliment. 😁

17 minutes ago, May B said:

Malta and way more! Corsica, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco. Plus I think four other ports we’ve already enjoyed previously.

Thank you for the compliment. 😁

Yes - I just saw you posted on our Dec 1 '24 Saturn Roll Call!

We also have been to Barcelona (many times), and Marseilles, and Rome (Civitavecchia) but the others are all new!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sugarside said:

Some advice I saw about using the tongs in the buffet was to use a paper towel of some kind to handle them and to have some hand sanitizer on you to use back at your table.

Or put plates on the table and then wash your hands again. We try to avoid using serving tools ourselves if we can and then use hand sanitizer before we eat.(I know sanitizing is less effective than hand washing….but we are sometimes hungry and human!🥴

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Sadly, we are starting to see a "Carnival" atmosphere coming to Viking.  .

I don’t think it is just Viking.  Rightly or wrongly, folks are far more “casual” with regard to dress and how they comport themselves now.  I personally would be more comfortable if cruise lines, airlines, restaurants, theaters enforced a more “traditional” level of dress and a more “respectful/courteous”  manner of guest behavior, but I’m absolutely in the minority….businesses are going to accept and adapt to customer behavior that maximizes their bottom line, and even those that are more “restrictive” don’t want to have to become confrontational with guests.  I need to become more flexible.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stephenandrew said:

I don’t think it is just Viking.  Rightly or wrongly, folks are far more “casual” with regard to dress and how they comport themselves now.  I personally would be more comfortable if cruise lines, airlines, restaurants, theaters enforced a more “traditional” level of dress and a more “respectful/courteous”  manner of guest behavior, but I’m absolutely in the minority….businesses are going to accept and adapt to customer behavior that maximizes their bottom line, and even those that are more “restrictive” don’t want to have to become confrontational with guests.  I need to become more flexible.

We were in NYC last week. What people wear to the theater is crazy. I swear this one man had on a swimsuit. And there were plenty of baseball caps. 

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

Or put plates on the table and then wash your hands again. We try to avoid using serving tools ourselves if we can and then use hand sanitizer before we eat.(I know sanitizing is less effective than hand washing….but we are sometimes hungry and human!🥴

See my post #90

19 minutes ago, stephenandrew said:

This trend had been slowly emerging for a while now, but I believe it was accelerated by Covid. Way too much time spent at home, without the civilizing effect of being at work or in "polite" society. To be honest, I get that we had more important things to worry about for quite a while. 

I would love to think that standards of behavior may stabilize, but I am not too optimistic. Afraid I too may need to become more flexible.

1 hour ago, lackcreativity said:

This trend had been slowly emerging for a while now, but I believe it was accelerated by Covid. Way too much time spent at home, without the civilizing effect of being at work or in "polite" society. To be honest, I get that we had more important things to worry about for quite a while. 

I would love to think that standards of behavior may stabilize, but I am not too optimistic. Afraid I too may need to become more flexible.

Interesting thought re the impact of COVID and current “behavior”… I hadn’t really ever considered the sorts of social impacts that being “locked down” would be perpetuated moving forward.  The only thing though….I can understand/see that impacting the behavior of kids…if you’re 10 years old, 10%+ of your entire life was spent in severe pandemic conditions….I can see that impacting behavior…at least temporarily.  But, I would think adults (who are often the perpetrators of the bad behavior) would be better adjusted.  Strange times whatever the reason.

• Like 3