Last Minute Availability

So, here’s the story…

Last year as part of our "Are We Mad" trip we had B2B cruises booked on P&O, 3 night Comedy Cruise and 10 nights to PNG. During the first cruise we had to retest for COVID and I returned a positive result. We were moved to an isolation cabin (24 hours) and upon return to Brisbane and sent to a motel for a further 4 days isolation as per Qld Government rules at the time. P&O gave us complimentary softdrink and wifi while in the isolation cabin and paid for the motel (including meals and laundry) as well as taxi to the motel. They gave us a credit for a third of the price we paid for the 3 night cruise (we spent 1 night of the 3 in isolation) and after much follow up they eventually gave us a full credit for the 10 night cruise. 

Earlier this year DW found a great deal on 10 nights to PNG which we booked, paid a deposit, and then used some of our credits for the balance. We still have $900 in credit with P&O but it has a sail by date of October 2023. We can drive to Brisbane so would prefer to sail from there and we'd prefer not to be away over a weekend. 

I’ve identified I332 - 4 nights to Airlie Beach ex Brisbane on Tuesday 11th July as a good candidate. It’s currently showing as sold out but our TA has us wait-listed. What are the chances of a cabin becoming available on this cruise?

Our recent 10 night cruise was sold out but then cabins became available during the week before embarkation. The crew on the Pacific Encounter told us that we were sailing with below full capacity.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

So, here’s the story…

Last year as part of our "Are We Mad" trip we had B2B cruises booked on P&O, 3 night Comedy Cruise and 10 nights to PNG. During the first cruise we had to retest for COVID and I returned a positive result. We were moved to an isolation cabin (24 hours) and upon return to Brisbane and sent to a motel for a further 4 days isolation as per Qld Government rules at the time. P&O gave us complimentary softdrink and wifi while in the isolation cabin and paid for the motel (including meals and laundry) as well as taxi to the motel. They gave us a credit for a third of the price we paid for the 3 night cruise (we spent 1 night of the 3 in isolation) and after much follow up they eventually gave us a full credit for the 10 night cruise. 

Earlier this year DW found a great deal on 10 nights to PNG which we booked, paid a deposit, and then used some of our credits for the balance. We still have $900 in credit with P&O but it has a sail by date of October 2023. We can drive to Brisbane so would prefer to sail from there and we'd prefer not to be away over a weekend. 

I’ve identified I332 - 4 nights to Airlie Beach ex Brisbane on Tuesday 11th July as a good candidate. It’s currently showing as sold out but our TA has us wait-listed. What are the chances of a cabin becoming available on this cruise?

Our recent 10 night cruise was sold out but then cabins became available during the week before embarkation. The crew on the Pacific Encounter told us that we were sailing with below full capacity.

I reckon you’re in with a chance! We were waitlisted for the Oct round aus we did last year and in the weeks prior we scored a balcony, it appears people regularly cancel last minute fir various reasons! Hope Cathryn’s ankle is going ok 🥰

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

I reckon you’re in with a chance! We were waitlisted for the Oct round aus we did last year and in the weeks prior we scored a balcony, it appears people regularly cancel last minute fir various reasons! Hope Cathryn’s ankle is going ok 🥰

And we picked up a cabin on that same Round Australia cruise a mere six days before it started. 😊

• Like 3

Good luck with the wait list.

Now I know what happened to you and the PNG cruise. I was following your many BTB cruise reports with great enjoyment, when they suddenly stopped. I was booked on a PNG cruise and wanted to hear your insights before I left.  Have a great time - PNG is a wonderful place to visit on a cruise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

So, here’s the story…

That cruise is in the middle of the school holidays so you might want a back up cruise just in case. I am on a Carnival cruise during the previous week and expecting it to be full. 

Also cruises last year, especially when just restarting, never were at full capacity and did have  a few late cancellations. Not sure that is the case now.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

That cruise is in the middle of the school holidays so you might want a back up cruise just in case. I am on a Carnival cruise during the previous week and expecting it to be full. 

Also cruises last year, especially when just restarting, never were at full capacity and did have  a few late cancellations. Not sure that is the case now.

It’s not in Queensland school holidays. 

19 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

So, here’s the story…

I think they are good.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I think they are good.  

SA school holidays might make it less good.  When I was at Sanctuary Cove sitting in the sun, enjoying a coffee, most people around me were from SA!  Seeing their recent bad weather, I don't blame them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In general, if the cruise is sold out and within final payment period, the odds are low. Something will bob-up, but it depends on whether the waitlist already has others on it. As suggest, be prepared for a plan B

20 minutes ago, arxcards said:

In general, if the cruise is sold out and within final payment period, the odds are low. Something will bob-up, but it depends on whether the waitlist already has others on it. As suggest, be prepared for a plan B

Yes, I usually book after final payment, when cabins often become available.  But I have a Plan B,

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Yes, I usually book after final payment, when cabins often become available.  But I have a Plan B,

Final payment date for this one was back in May. Any of those change of mind cabins are long gone.

In their eagerness to accept bookings, they expect some late cancellations, and slightly overbook the ship in anticipation. We have had one of those last minute phone calls asking if we wanted to cancel and move over to another cruise.

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Final payment date for this one was back in May. Any of those change of mind cabins are long gone.

In their eagerness to accept bookings, they expect some late cancellations, and slightly overbook the ship in anticipation. We have had one of those last minute phone calls asking if we wanted to cancel and move over to another cruise.

I was offered a high deck supposedly better, on my last cruise.  No thank you.  I choose middle low down for a reason1

I have noticed final payment is earlier now than it used to be.

28 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Did you get a cabin?

Yes!

Obstructed Oceanview. $105 out of pocket after our credit is applied. 4 nights to Airlie Beach ex Brisbane. 
😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Yes!

Obstructed Oceanview. $105 out of pocket after our credit is applied. 4 nights to Airlie Beach ex Brisbane. 
😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Well Done.  If you want to visit my favourite place in the Whitsundays, consider hiring a car to drive to Cape Gloucester Resort for lunch, with a cold drink at Dingo Beach Hotel, on the way back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sparky74 said:

Yes!

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Wonderful. Enjoy!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We made it to Brisbane!

Same motel as last time, and same room! Accessible shower with a seat for DW. 

We board the Pacific Explorer in the morning. No accessible cabin this time but our TA has requested a shower chair. 
We do have a couple of jobs to do in the morning including picking up a hired electric mobility scooter for DW.

Our boarding time isn’t until 2pm. 😱 How strictly do they regulate that in Brisbane?

So glad you managed to get a cabin. Explorer? Did you mean Encounter?

We sailed on Encounter at the end of May and it didn't appear they were strictly adhering to the assigned boarding times. Because we don't trust the Highway from Gold Coast (traffic delays) we always leave with plenty of time up our sleeves and arrived about 50 minutes early (and prepared to wait). To our surprise, Staff at the Brisbane Terminal sent us straight through and it is not as though the terminal wasn't busy. Heaps of passengers waiting to be processed. So, if you are prepared to wait, take the chance and arrive early and see what happens.