Questions from New Silversea Cruisers

RLK33853

Hello Everyone - we have a couple of questions about Silversea.  We are currently booked on Silversea next May in the Mediterranean.

We are experienced mainstream cruisers (50 + cruises on Princess, plus other lines) who have decided to try various upscale lines hoping to find a new home.  Mainstream lines are now nickel and diming worse than ever, loyalty perks are being taken away, plus service and food quality continue to deteriorate.  

Just a bit of background about ourselves - mid sixties, very active, usually stay in mini-suites or full suites, enjoy good food and the dining experience, like exploring new places, spend two to three months a year travelling (usually on cruises but have also done extensive land trips in Africa, South America and Australia), and have made life long friends around the world doing so.

We have used these boards extensively and value the advice we have received over the years.  Hopefully you can assist over the next while with our Silversea questions. 

Our first question is about the Silversea's evening dress codes.  I have read a lot of this forum's topics but am confused about "informal" dining - specifically jackets in the evening.  This is not a question that needs to be debated, it's just a question.  We already dress up  and enjoy doing so on formal nights - full length evening gowns for my wife, and suit and tie on formal nights for me, but we are confused about Silversea's "informal" dress code.  My wife will still be wearing a cocktail dress on these evenings, but I usually just wear nice pants and open collared shirt.  Our question arises from whether a jacket is also expected.  Some places it gives the impression that you need a jacket, other places not.  What is the reality?

Second question concerns the included wines.  My wife enjoys crisp clean whites in the afternoon, and nice full bodies reds in the evening, preferably Australian. Our question is, are the included wines of decent quality or should we expect to purchase optional ones?

Thank you in advance.  Silversea looks to be a good fit for us in the future.  We have almost a year before we board and want to be as informed as we can be.  We are also booked on Paul Gauguin (Ponant), and Viking Ocean - hopefully we will find a new cruise line that meets our expectations.

Any other advice, or tips and tricks will be appreciated.  

Thank you

Ray and Ann

Our experience recently on the Moon and Dawn, Is that on informal nights, some restaurants require men to have a jacket (take it off when you sit down- some people do that) and some restaurants do not require a jacket for the men. Since most restaurants are on the cool side, I find wearing a nice sports coat to be very comfortable.

2 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

Our question arises from whether a jacket is also expected.  Some places it gives the impression that you need a jacket, other places not.  What is the reality?

For informal, a jacket is expected. Whether it's strictly enforced is a different matter which can vary. Plan on wearing one. You don't need one for casual nights though. Your description (slacks and an open collared shirt) fits with casual.

However it's more complicated than that. Even on formal night, not every venue is formal. There is always a place where you can eat in casual attire. For example, the Grill (Hot Rocks) and Spaccanapoli are always casual, so you wouldn't need a jacket there. Also, La Terraza, Silver Note, and Kaiseki are always "one down" from the evening's dress code (i.e., casual when it's "informal" night' informal on "formal" night). 

So on Spirit, only La Dame, Atlantide, and Indochine are formal on formal night, informal on informal night, etc. Everywhere else is at least one down from that.

RE: wine, the complimentary pours are not "fine wines" but they are perfectly ok for everyday wines. They might retail for $10-20 here. You will find plenty of crisp whites. Australian reds are common enough though I don't remember too many on this last cruise (earlier this month on Silver Wind). There were more reds from Chile than anywhere else.

However, do take a look at the wine list (Connoisseur's list) and talk to the sommelier about your preferences. IME all you have to do is buy ONE bottle early on in the cruise and then the sommelier will always keep an eye on you and will make sure that you get whatever you want from the included wines. That's what we did last cruise - bought a bottle on day 3 (and again on the last night), but during the interval in between we got all sorts of attention to make sure that the wines were meeting our expectations. We got to try all sorts of different Pinot Noirs that he was hiding away.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 6

I have a question about the menus on Formal nights – does the main dining room have extra special menus for those nights [as is done on many traditional cruise lines]?  In other words, would we be missing out on the best MDR food by taking one of the casual options to avoid dressing up?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have a question about the menus on Formal nights – does the main dining room have extra special menus for those nights [as is done on many traditional cruise lines]?  In other words, would we be missing out on the best MDR food by taking one of the casual options to avoid dressing up?

That’s exactly what we do on ss. We have not missed anything special. The only time there is a tie in our luggage is when we sail Cunard 

• Like 1

jpalbny answered your question well. The only thing I can add is regarding the included wine. It’s usually perfectly fine. However, if you don’t like what they serve, ask for something else, describing your preference. They are very accommodating. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

A tie takes up near negligible space in luggage.  I suggest bring one in case you decide you want one.

49 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

A tie takes up near negligible space in luggage.  I suggest bring one in case you decide you want one.

We won’t want one. 

nothing to do with space 
we survived our last 2 ss cruises without one. No problem

I'm actually planning to pack a suit, a sport coat, and two bow ties.  The question is if the three formal nights seem oppressive whether I would miss anything by trading down the dress code to the other restaurants.  [Other cruise lines seem to enhance the MDR menu offerings on formal/gala nights; we would hate to miss Chateaubriand or rack of lamb, although we wouldn't order lobster anyway – we're off to Acadia next week and will get our annual fill of fresh cold water lobster and wild Maine blueberries – no need to eat the pallid substitutes available elsewhere in the world...]

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm actually planning to pack a suit, a sport coat, and two bow ties.  The question is if the three formal nights seem oppressive whether I would miss anything by trading down the dress code to the other restaurants.  [Other cruise lines seem to enhance the MDR menu offerings on formal/gala nights; we would hate to miss Chateaubriand or rack of lamb, although we wouldn't order lobster anyway – we're off to Acadia next week and will get our annual fill of fresh cold water lobster and wild Maine blueberries – no need to eat the pallid substitutes available elsewhere in the world...]

Ah laddie you have become a victim of the canny Scots. They do not sing the praises of their lobsters so the Tourists will all eat those from the Americas and leave theirs alone.

3 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Ah laddie you have become a victim of the canny Scots. They do not sing the praises of their lobsters so the Tourists will all eat those from the Americas and leave theirs alone.

Well me point was that when I eat a lobster I like to know that it had brekkie in the ocean this very morning!

On 6/24/2023 at 2:57 PM, RLK33853 said:

Hello Everyone - we have a couple of questions about Silversea.  We are currently booked on Silversea next May in the Mediterranean.

We are experienced mainstream cruisers (50 + cruises on Princess, plus other lines) who have decided to try various upscale lines hoping to find a new home.  Mainstream lines are now nickel and diming worse than ever, loyalty perks are being taken away, plus service and food quality continue to deteriorate.  

Just a bit of background about ourselves - mid sixties, very active, usually stay in mini-suites or full suites, enjoy good food and the dining experience, like exploring new places, spend two to three months a year travelling (usually on cruises but have also done extensive land trips in Africa, South America and Australia), and have made life long friends around the world doing so.

We have used these boards extensively and value the advice we have received over the years.  Hopefully you can assist over the next while with our Silversea questions. 

Our first question is about the Silversea's evening dress codes.  I have read a lot of this forum's topics but am confused about "informal" dining - specifically jackets in the evening.  This is not a question that needs to be debated, it's just a question.  We already dress up  and enjoy doing so on formal nights - full length evening gowns for my wife, and suit and tie on formal nights for me, but we are confused about Silversea's "informal" dress code.  My wife will still be wearing a cocktail dress on these evenings, but I usually just wear nice pants and open collared shirt.  Our question arises from whether a jacket is also expected.  Some places it gives the impression that you need a jacket, otJ

Second question concerns the included wines.  My wife enjoys crisp clean whites in the afternoon, and nice full bodies reds in the evening, preferably Australian. Our question is, are the included wines of decent quality or should we expect to purchase optional ones?

Thank you in advance.  Silversea looks to be a good fit for us in the future.  We have almost a year before we board and want to be as informed as we can be.  We are also booked on Paul Gauguin (Ponant), and Viking Ocean - hopefully we will find a new cruise line that meets our expectations.

Any other advice, or tips and tricks will be appreciated.  

Thank you

Ray and Ann

Jackets for gentlemen on informal nights but not necessarily with ties and not in all restaurants.   Ladies can dress up just as much as they like on informal nights and a tad more for formal nights.   Men can wear tux, dark suit or at very least a very smart [dark] jacket and smart trousers plus tie on formal nights.       There are some very nice Sauvignon Blancs to be had and I am sure they can find you some fuller bodies reds in the evening, if you dont wish for the offered wine the Maitre d' or Sommelier will find you an alternative to suit your taste and without an upcharge.   Have a wonderful time.

The included wines are quaffable for the most part, and you will find something that your wife will probably approve.  If the red and the white they offer at dinner doesn't appeal to you and your spouse, you can ask if they have other wines you might try.

However, take a look at the premium wine list.  The prices are very very reasonable (usually retail pricing or just a few dollars more) and you might find something that appeals to you.