Ventura 15 July advice

newbie cruissy

Hello,

We went on an Iona cruise last year, and very much enjoyed. My in laws have taken the plunge and are off on Ventura Spain and Portugal in a few weeks, and as we've been on one P&O cruise in the past they are looking to me for advice. I know Iona and Ventura are very different, and wanted to check some things. They've booked select, picked a quiet cabin (accom above and below), booked CPS for parking and so far so good.

Dining on Ventura looks to be a mix of freedom and set. They'd like set dining on the early sitting. Can this be booked in advance? I can't see an option on the personaliser?  There look to be 3 MDRs on board, do they all have the same menu? Also is there the need for the mad rush to book speciality dining 2 weeks ahead, or is it a bit less of a frenzy than Iona?

Ports of call. I believe that most but not all are walkable from the ship.  Itinerary is Santander, Vigo, Lisbon, Porto and St Peter Port. As select fare they'd get transfers FOC if needed, just want to check where this would apply. I know Guernsey is a tender port.

The "app". Is this on all ships, or just Iona and Arvia? And on Ventura is it needed for booking, or as a smaller ship can they just turn up (more for speciality as they'll hopefully be early set dining for MDR)

Thanks in advance 👍

1 hour ago, newbie cruissy said:

They'd like set dining on the early sitting. Can this be booked in advance?

That should have been requested at the time of booking. If you look at the booking confirmation it should say which option they have. If it is not the one that they want then go and see the restaurant manager as soon as possible when the board. Be aware though that early sitting is normally very popular and if it is not the selected option they may have difficulty moving to it.

There look to be 3 MDRs on board, do they all have the same menu?

Yes.

Also is there the need for the mad rush to book speciality dining 2 weeks ahead, or is it a bit less of a frenzy than Iona?

Difficult to say. Personally I have never had a problem with booking speciality dining once onboard Ventura, but that was pre Covid.

The "app". Is this on all ships, or just Iona and Arvia?

All ships - but I think I have read that for most things it is now not essential to use it.

can they just turn up (more for speciality

No - speciality has to be booked. They may be lucky especially early in the cruise or on port days but I would not leave it to chance.

2 hours ago, newbie cruissy said:

Hello,

We went on an Iona cruise last year, and very much enjoyed. My in laws have taken the plunge and are off on Ventura Spain and Portugal in a few weeks, and as we've been on one P&O cruise in the past they are looking to me for advice. I know Iona and Ventura are very different, and wanted to check some things. They've booked select, picked a quiet cabin (accom above and below), booked CPS for parking and so far so good.

Dining on Ventura looks to be a mix of freedom and set. They'd like set dining on the early sitting. Can this be booked in advance? I can't see an option on the personaliser?  There look to be 3 MDRs on board, do they all have the same menu? Also is there the need for the mad rush to book speciality dining 2 weeks ahead, or is it a bit less of a frenzy than Iona?

Ports of call. I believe that most but not all are walkable from the ship.  Itinerary is Santander, Vigo, Lisbon, Porto and St Peter Port. As select fare they'd get transfers FOC if needed, just want to check where this would apply. I know Guernsey is a tender port.

The "app". Is this on all ships, or just Iona and Arvia? And on Ventura is it needed for booking, or as a smaller ship can they just turn up (more for speciality as they'll hopefully be early set dining for MDR)

Thanks in advance 👍

I would contact P&O or your agent if you booked through one to try too book first club sitting ASAP, if that is not booked already.  If you have chosen a cabin it must be a select fare booking.  If it was a late booking it is quite possible that was not available when the cruise was booked since as David said it is very popular.  If not available now, still worth trying on the ship as David suggests as there are always no shows and they may be on that sitting.  

Speciality dining is booking up more quickly than it used to pre covid, presumably because of so many people with a lot of OBC.  If you book ASAP it can also be cancelled once onboard without charge.  We have never paid when we booked a speciality restaurant though.

On Azura last winter we found we could often book the restaurants a few days prior with the restaurant manager, even if the app showed there was no availability, so worth trying that.  It is certain time slots that can be booked up quickly in our experience.

Edited by tring

23 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

Looking at the P&O site for Ventura, it seems that of the 3 MDRs, one is club dining, and the other 2 are freedom. So if they can't get club in Bay Tree, they could always just arrive at one of the other 2 and get a pager?

To do that you would have to be booked on Freedom dining, if your booking shows second sitting on club dining that is what you have, only other non payable option is the buffet.  You really need to find out what is booked.

It is on the booking confirmation, so your relatives should be able to see that if they have it.  Ours all say Freedom dining/confirmed, so I presume you could ask to be wait listed if you do not have your dining of choice.

Edited by tring

Vigo and Lisbon both walkable from the port.  Research Vigo and find something to do.  Not much going on in the town, there are attractions within short distance but if they aren't doing a tour they may need to research transport options,

Lisbon.  Lots to see, but having been for an extended stay following a cruise visit it is spread out and very hilly.  Belem is a long way from the main centre, similarly the Oceanarium area with cable car along the river is a long way the other way, but both are worth visiting.  The statue of Christ is across the river so a visit there also needs some planning.

Trams, train and metro are all available, easy to use and not expensive.

As the Lisbon stay is overnight it does mean time to see a lot, but not everything!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newbie cruissy said:

Ports of call. I believe that most but not all are walkable from the ship.  Itinerary is Santander, Vigo, Lisbon, Porto and St Peter Port. As select fare they'd get transfers FOC if needed, just want to check where this would apply. I know Guernsey is a tender port

Never been to Santander or Porto.

You are correct that Guernsey is a tender port. Ships have to tender in from a fair distance from shore which unfortunately can lead to the port being cancelled if conditions are bad.

The ship docks right in the centre of Vigo at the cruise terminal, no shuttle bus is needed or provided.

In Lisbon the ship usually ties up at the new cruise terminal about a 15 minute walk from "black horse square" and the city centre. A shuttle bus is provided but this takes you to the far side of the city centre and you may well find that the places you want to visit - particularly St George's Castle and the cathedral - are closer to the ship than the shuttle bus drop off! There is no charge for the shuttle bus if you book select.

29 minutes ago, tring said:

To do that you would have to be booked on Freedom dining, if your booking shows second sitting on club dining that is what you have, only other non payable option is the buffet. 

So if it's been booked as club, they can only use Bay Tree? And not the other 2 MDRs?

15 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

So if it's been booked as club, they can only use Bay Tree? And not the other 2 MDRs?

Correct.  The freedom restaurants are midship, above each other on different decks,  Bay treet is at the rear.  Food is the same so it doesn't make any difference.

• Like 1

As per previous comment the food is the same, but what varies is the time and style.  On Club dining you are allocated a set table with the same people around you every night.   You can choose table size, but  depends on availability, so you may not get a table for two if that is what you choose.  There are two sittings on club dining one at about 6.15pm, the other about 8.30pm and you can be booked on either of them. The third dining choice when booking is Freedom, when you can choose your time of dining, though depending on availability, you will usually have to wait if you turn up at busy times (perhaps between 6.45pm and 8.30 or thereabouts).  If you go onto a shared table for Freedom, the people will obviously change each night. On Freedom dining tables for two get filled quickly, perhaps soon after 6pm.

Late sitting club dining is often the least popular, so if you book late, that may be the only availability, but you could still ask to be changed to another choice should that become available, as previously suggested.

Edited by tring

On 6/27/2023 at 1:18 PM, tring said:

As per previous comment the food is the same, but what varies is the time and style.  On Club dining you are allocated a set table with the same people around you every night.   You can choose table size, but  depends on availability, so you may not get a table for two if that is what you choose.  There are two sittings on club dining one at about 6.15pm, the other about 8.30pm and you can be booked on either of them. The third dining choice when booking is Freedom, when you can choose your time of dining, though depending on availability, you will usually have to wait if you turn up at busy times (perhaps between 6.45pm and 8.30 or thereabouts).  If you go onto a shared table for Freedom, the people will obviously change each night. On Freedom dining tables for two get filled quickly, perhaps soon after 6pm.

Late sitting club dining is often the least popular, so if you book late, that may be the only availability, but you could still ask to be changed to another choice should that become available, as previously suggested.

Club dining on Ventura last year was always 6.30 for the first sitting.

17 hours ago, bbtablet said:

Club dining on Ventura last year was always 6.30 for the first sitting.

I had always known first sitting as 6.30pm as well, but I have become aware more recently that it can now be as early as 6.15pm, like it was on Arcadia earlier this month, which is why I said about 6.15pm, rather than a specific time.  Although 15 min is a very short time, that earlier time can sound more off putting to me.

I am thinking perhaps P&O are moving the time earlier, (possibly only on some ships), to allow more time for the service with the low number of staff they now have and also allow them a short break between the two arduous work stints.  Would be interesting to know what is happening on other ships regards the specific times, rather than just the approximation I gave.  It is not of relevance to us though as we will always choose Freedom dining anyway, partly because of the flexible timing but also because we do not want to be on the same table with the same people for an entire cruise.  We could ask for a table for two, but I do not think that can be assured for club dining.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1