Meet and Greets?

emarismom

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Indeed…I’ve made great cruise friends.  Many of them lurk here…😉

Dan, no kidding ... met so many over the years and not just from the few times organizing M&G onboard that finding it challenging to keep track of CC screen names and real (first) names ... 

Notice that little pop-up "Update Your Email" from CC on the upper right, page 1 of this & other sub-forums.  Maybe, CC is going to somehow figure out to re-enable the direct messages function on the forum.  

Have yet to, perhaps being fortunate thus far, show up or attend a CC Meet & Mingle/Greet with poor attendance, even the one that was semi-hijacked by a subset coming from FB had an acceptable attendance, since the roster/group expected to attend were co-mingled.  Sadly, the "organizer" that took over & ran with it just sat there among the crowd, didn't say a single word & just disappeared - got his "screen ID" on my other list to be avoided in the future.  Sometimes, I rather just sit back & let someone else do the organizing, it's hard work as a "volunteer" putting something "simple" together.  

This Fall's New England/Canada cruises is a challenging one to pool and put together a M&G, as the only sea day is on the last day returning to home port, unless they are the one-way ones - perhaps, not intentional but still, it can be a worthwhile small group gathering to meet & chat briefly with the senior officers and give feedback, listen & ask questions, etc.  Of course, the other option for some of us, is to see whether we get lucky doing the Dine With Officers, depending on who's assigned to host the dinner.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Notice that little pop-up "Update Your Email" from CC on the upper right, page 1 of this & other sub-forums.  Maybe, CC is going to somehow figure out to re-enable the direct messages function on the forum.

Possibly, but if you read the message it indicates that you're now able to update that info on your own, and that in the future they will be moving to using your email address rather than your user name to log in to the site.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Dan, no kidding ... met so many over the years and not just from the few times organizing M&G onboard that finding it challenging to keep track of CC screen names and real (first) names ... 

Have yet to, perhaps being fortunate thus far, show up or attend a CC Meet & Mingle/Greet with poor attendance, even the one that was semi-hijacked by a subset coming from FB had an acceptable attendance, since the roster/group expected to attend were co-mingled.  Sadly, the "organizer" that took over & ran with it just sat there among the crowd, didn't say a single word & just disappeared - got his "screen ID" on my other list to be avoided in the future.  Sometimes, I rather just sit back & let someone else do the organizing, it's hard work as a "volunteer" putting something "simple" together.  

This Fall's New England/Canada cruises is a challenging one to pool and put together a M&G, as the only sea day is on the last day returning to home port, unless they are the one-way ones - perhaps, not intentional but still, it can be a worthwhile small group gathering to meet & chat briefly with the senior officers and give feedback, listen & ask questions, etc.  Of course, the other option for some of us, is to see whether we get lucky doing the Dine With Officers, depending on who's assigned to host the dinner.  

Henry…..every friend I’ve made on our M&Gs have been a joy (that includes you).  I’ve had a great time attending all of them.  And, something I didn’t think was possible, I’ve actually learned something.  Decided it’s time to quit sitting on the sidelines and start to organize M&Gs on cruises I’m booked on that doesn’t have one scheduled.

NCL likes hosting us.  I like that they value us as a group and has always had a good turnout on their end to mingle with the guests and one-on-one answer questions.

I try to stay away from FaceBook.  That turns into a free-for-all.

• Like 2

The last time we signed up for a Meet and Greet we showed up at the appointed place at 2:00 pm. Absolutely nobody was there...we were shocked and appalled. Then, when I checked the schedule I noticed that the event was scheduled for 12:00 pm. Oops...

• Haha 3

When I organized them, my family and I would deliver reminders to the cabins of those who committed to coming and gave their cabin #.  I would ask the coordinator on the ship to deliver the ones to the Haven.  It was a great way for us to learn the way around the ship very quickly.  But we always had a great turn out because people had a reminder of place and time in their hand!

4 minutes ago, GORDONCHICK said:

When I organized them, my family and I would deliver reminders to the cabins of those who committed to coming and gave their cabin #.  I would ask the coordinator on the ship to deliver the ones to the Haven.  It was a great way for us to learn the way around the ship very quickly.  But we always had a great turn out because people had a reminder of place and time in their hand!

Thought about that.  But then, I thought there would be some who may consider that a breach of privacy, so I just post details in the Roll Calls here at Cruise Critic.

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

The last time we signed up for a Meet and Greet we showed up at the appointed place at 2:00 pm. Absolutely nobody was there...we were shocked and appalled. Then, when I checked the schedule I noticed that the event was scheduled for 12:00 pm. Oops...

Our last meet and greet on the Bliss carried on well past the time that was allotted.  Had fun just getting to know other CC folks.

10 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thought about that.  But then, I thought there would be some who may consider that a breach of privacy, so I just post details in the Roll Calls here at Cruise Critic.

No breach of privacy because they gave their cabin # knowing that was the reason they were giving it.  Nothing misleading about that.  That list wasn't used for anything else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GORDONCHICK said:

No breach of privacy because they gave their cabin # knowing that was the reason they were giving it.  Nothing misleading about that.  That list wasn't used for anything else.

Totally understand.  And, I agree.  

I publish details here, since it is a Cruise Critic gathering.  After signing up, I have made several posts about date/time/place so it should not be foreign to anyone who has signed up to attend.

The down side is, given this is mainly a North American forum, mostly North Americans sign up.  Had a person sign up for our Bliss Alaska cruise who saw the M&G announcement on Cruise Critic Roll Call thread, and he was from, I believe Norway.....big into photography and hung out with us after the M&G was over.  Nice guy, just can't recall his name.

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Totally understand.  And, I agree.  

I publish details here, since it is a Cruise Critic gathering.  After signing up, I have made several posts about date/time/place so it should not be foreign to anyone who has signed up to attend.

The down side is, given this is mainly a North American forum, mostly North Americans sign up.  Had a person sign up for our Bliss Alaska cruise who saw the M&G announcement on Cruise Critic Roll Call thread, and he was from, I believe Norway.....big into photography and hung out with us after the M&G was over.  Nice guy, just can't recall his name.

I always posted numerous times on the roll call as well.  The reminder delivered to the cabin was just an extra if they wanted it.  I alway printed axtras and shared with people we met on board, sometimes on the shuttle to the ship from the hotel!