Western European Cruise

We are starting to think about a Western European Cruise. We have cruised a number of times basically the Caribbean and Hawaii several of which have been on Royal Caribbean. First off which is a recommended month to cruise the Western Europe? Upon an initial review of cruise offerings we notice it is very port intensive so what would be a recommended length of the cruise? What would you recommend as must see cities? Since we always do our research but we are thinking of using a travel agent what are your thoughts? I'll stop for now with questions but I'm sure there will be more as I get into this new adventure. 

Avoid the summer it gets hot and there will be lots of walking I won’t cruise June to September. I love leaving from Barcelona fun city with reasonable restaurants and hotels . Favorite ports

Florence - there are two ports that are about 90 minute drive- don’t miss David

Naples   - great food and can visit Pompeii or Capri

Kotor - great walled city 

Dubrovnik- another walled city 

Athens 

Venice - I don’t believe they let ships still dock there .

• Like 1

If you go to Naples you can do a day trip to the Amalfi Coast, or Capri.  From La Spezia, you can do Cinque Terre.  I believe from La Spezia you can also go to Florence, although that would be a long day. Likewise, Civitavecchia serves Rome - also a long day.  But the itineraries are generally set up for that - early arrival, late-ish departure.

We have done July and August cruises - super hot and lots of tourists much like ourselves. We are going the end of September this year (Eastern Med though) and I am hoping it will be less of the "vacation of the sweaty back".😂

We will hopefully be going on a Med cruise soon that leaves out of Barcelona and ends at Civi port outside of Rome. It goes to Marseille, Nice, Genoa, Portofino, and Livorno (Florence/Pisa). We are flying in a few days early and afterwards are spending 2 nights in Venice and 3 nights in Rome.

We sail Symphony at the end of August on a Wester Med cruise, 

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Naples

Sea day

Barcelona

Palma De Mallorca

Provence (Marseille)

Florence/Pisa (La Spezia)

Rome (Civitavecchia)

As you can see very port intensive with only 1 sea day. Most Med cruises are port intensive no matter where you go. Am sure you will enjoy it wherever you go.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Roybthered said:

We sail Symphony at the end of August on a Wester Med cruise, 

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Naples

Sea day

Barcelona

Palma De Mallorca

Provence (Marseille)

Florence/Pisa (La Spezia)

Rome (Civitavecchia)

As you can see very port intensive with only 1 sea day. Most Med cruises are port intensive no matter where you go. Am sure you will enjoy it wherever you go.

Thank You our concern is exhaustion level lol

You need to do longer than 7 days and have some see days along the way.  Western Med which may be where you are intending to cruise can be very port intensive and tiring.  May is a good month or September.  School holidays are not around then and the weather is warm but not too hot. 

I would travel in late May/early June or September/early October. Weather can vary somewhat but I went on a Celebrity cruise end of July/August last year and it was way too hot. It was very difficult to enjoy touring ports and if this had been my first/only trip to the Med I would have been disappointed. 

I guess "Western Europe" is a bit unclear - if you are considering British Isles/Norway/Belgium etc. the summer would probably be fine or even best.

I went on an RCI cruise in October two weeks ago and even though this was much better as far as visiting ports was concerned, it was too chilly to sit on the balcony/use the pool etc. most days. So September would be a better bet (unless you are going further South, like Greece, which should be fine in October).

As far as length is concerned, I would say something between 7 and 14 days, depending on your preferences and what you are interested in.

I've found October to be a great time weather-wise for a Mediterranean cruise.   These cruises are port-intensive, but so worth it!  I've done two 12-day, one that left from Barcelona, the second from Civitivecchia.  Since it is so port intensive, we didn't bother with a Balcony..if you have excursions booked, you're out of the cabin and on your way, and come back in time for dinner.  Have the best time, wherever and whenever you decide to go!!